Giroux Trade Talk

elmatus

I said this in the chatbox...thought I'd throw it here:
Assuming he waives to go there....Giroux to Nashville for Filip Forsberg?
Nashville is said to be shopping him for help in the Center position.

Both will be UFA's, money is on par (G is 8.25M cap hit, Forsberg is 6M) so not a whole lot of movement would need to be done by Nashville to fit Giroux in, Flyers get a bit of salary relief in the process.

I am sure some picks or prospects may be involved one way or the other.

Giroux would be a rental for Nashville, unless he likes it there, and re-signs. The Preds could use a versatile forward like him...maybe even move him back to Center, and they are fighting with Minnesota and St. Louis for the second spot behind Colorado.
Plus, it would keep Giroux OUT of the hands of the Avs, Blues, and Wild.

Flyers get a much younger player (27), who over the years, has proven himself to be a nice mid sized, sniper/power forward combo, who likely needs a change of teams and go to a more up tempo team (which the Flyers are SUPPOSED to be...compared to Nashville anyways), and can be part of whatever retool the Flyers are likely to do... I don't see Philly going full on rebuild, even if that is what they likely need.
If the Flyers and Forsberg are a good fit, maybe he signs a reasonable deal to stay on after the "rental" period this year.

Any interest by Flyer fans in having Forsberg wearing the O and B?

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Any interest by Flyer fans in having Forsberg wearing the O and B?

I'm interested, but as I said in the Shoutbox, I don't see Giroux waiving to go to Nashville.

I expect the Flyers would be in on any potential star UFA. Thing is, that they on;y have ~$14M in cap space rightnow. Moving JVR would help, but I think they would need to retain salary to do so (eating half the contract would open up more space than buying him out).

• Like 1

You know what else would work. At least from an on ice fit/need?

Pittsburgh.

They're kinda having a weird thing with Kaspari Kaepanen, he's not scoring and not happy and not happy about not scoring and is in a funk and isn't sure what he wants to do and Hextall's not sure about what to do about it. 

Double K?- he's been a black hole for about a month- and he's been pouty about it.

Well, Giroux on Malkenstien's wing with Rust? they would terrorize the Metro division.

The Pens would go from dark horse (you can't count the Pens out until the handshakes start) to legit top 3 in the East.

Problem is Pgh has very few assets to part with that would make the deal or money work.

But they could use Giroux's production and it could make them a for-real contender. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Pittsburgh.

Oh no you dint! :hocky:

I honestly can't see them trading him into the Metro, but stranger things have happened...

They do have a projected space for a $4M contract at the deadline... (Even more if they move a roster player).

Obviously I'd be in favor of Kapanen and it does fit with a piece that can contribute. Does Hextall give him up for a run? I think the Pens are watching the window close and want to get a real shot at another bite of the apple.

And the Pens visit Philadelphia on April 24th... Giroux and Crater back on the Big Bank Building ice in black-and-gold... I gotta believe the Senior Hockey Advisors would rather lick rust than have that happen but you never know.

(For that matter, Flyers also go on the road right after the trade deadline and visit STL, COL, NSH, MIN).

• Like 1

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2022/02/23/philadelphia-flyers-trade-claude-giroux-return-colorado-avalanche-minnesota-wild-st-louis-blues-carolina-hurricanes-florida-panthers-prospects-deal/

Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux has not yet officially waived his no-movement clause, but there are indications he will do just that.

Which begs the question, what can the Flyers get in return for their franchise icon, a player who is the second-leading point producer in their history?

To answer that question, we turned to Russ Cohen, prospects expert for SiriusXM NHL Network Radio and sportsology.com.

Below are the five teams reportedly in the running for Giroux — more will enter the picture before the March 21 trade deadline — and what Cohen expects in return. He also gives a rundown on the strength of the prospects the Flyers could acquire.

Colorado Avalanche

Logical return, per Cohen: A No. 1 pick in 2023 (the Avs don’t have a No. 1 this year), and prospects Martin Kaut and Drew Helleson.

Prospects/NHL players Flyers might get: 

Right winger Kaut (6-2, 190), is “a tough guy who can score in the crease,” Cohen said. “He hasn’t broken through yet in Colorado, but can definitely play in the NHL next year.

He isn’t a superstar, but he does a lot of things the current Flyers don’t do, such as playing real hard around the net.

He has 40-point potential, and also will give you good, solid play.

SOLD!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2022/02/23/philadelphia-flyers-trade-claude-giroux-return-colorado-avalanche-minnesota-wild-st-louis-blues-carolina-hurricanes-florida-panthers-prospects-deal/

Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux has not yet officially waived his no-movement clause, but there are indications he will do just that.

Which begs the question, what can the Flyers get in return for their franchise icon, a player who is the second-leading point producer in their history?

To answer that question, we turned to Russ Cohen, prospects expert for SiriusXM NHL Network Radio and sportsology.com.

Below are the five teams reportedly in the running for Giroux — more will enter the picture before the March 21 trade deadline — and what Cohen expects in return. He also gives a rundown on the strength of the prospects the Flyers could acquire.

Colorado Avalanche

Logical return, per Cohen: A No. 1 pick in 2023 (the Avs don’t have a No. 1 this year), and prospects Martin Kaut and Drew Helleson.

Prospects/NHL players Flyers might get: 

Right winger Kaut (6-2, 190), is “a tough guy who can score in the crease,” Cohen said. “He hasn’t broken through yet in Colorado, but can definitely play in the NHL next year.

He isn’t a superstar, but he does a lot of things the current Flyers don’t do, such as playing real hard around the net.

He has 40-point potential, and also will give you good, solid play.

SOLD!

My problem with this post, is it says 5 teams, but you cut it off after one. I feel jipped

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Pittsburgh.

They're kinda having a weird thing with Kaspari Kaepanen, he's not scoring and not happy and not happy about not scoring and is in a funk and isn't sure what he wants to do and Hextall's not sure about what to do about it. 

Double K?- he's been a black hole for about a month- and he's been pouty about it.

Well, Giroux on Malkenstien's wing with Rust? they would terrorize the Metro division.

The Pens would go from dark horse (you can't count the Pens out until the handshakes start) to legit top 3 in the East.

Problem is Pgh has very few assets to part with that would make the deal or money work.

But they could use Giroux's production and it could make them a for-real contender. 

Ya, Sid wouldn't let Team Canada take Giroux for a few week long tournament so they took a far inferior teammate of his. But he's going to want him on HIS team? 

And as you mentioned, they don't have many assets that would work in this trade.

14 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, Sid wouldn't let Team Canada take Giroux for a few week long tournament so they took a far inferior teammate of his. But he's going to want him on HIS team? 

*yeah- wtf, are you a Katzenjammer kid?

That ****ery was many years ago now.

They've since buddied up at all-star games and pal around with MacKinnon.

I think Sid would "push his grandma down a flight of stairs" @Podein25 @CoachX to win another championship.

Even if he HATES Giroux, he could hold his nose long enough to pass him Lord Stanley's cup. 

I don't think it will happen, the whole trading in the division thing and all. 

But  seeing the face of the franchise for a decade skate the cup in black and gold might just create the environment for a massive cardiac event within the Flyers senior hockey advisor group. 

Just sayin'

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

But  seeing the face of the franchise for a decade skate the cup in black and gold might just create the environment for a massive cardiac event within the Flyers senior hockey advisor group. 

Just sayin'

Hmmm....as much as I would hate that, I would also love it! 

• Haha 1
  • Annoyed 1

So reports from Sportsnet that Pavelski is going to be off the market the Stars are working on an extension for him to keep him around and it is going good between both parties.

Take that for what it's worth...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So reports from Sportsnet that Pavelski is going to be off the market the Stars are working on an extension for him to keep him around and it is going good between both parties.

Take that for what it's worth...

Fletcher scratches Pavelski off his trade list for Giroux and a 1st

• Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

Little bump here, For you Ozzy!

Was listening to Snow the Goalie this AM and those jackals were talking about how the decision to waive or not has been affecting his play and as a result his value.

Bundy is saying there is likely only one team on the list, that may or may not be true. 

Anthony was saying he's 100% sure Giroux will be traded because, even if he wants to come back to Philly his refusal to be traded will hurt the team and further degrade a legacy that Claude seems to want to protect. 

Russ was wondering how a competitor wouldn't want the opportunity to chase a title regardless of the emotions and family decisions involved.

It was a pretty interesting conversation from some people who know more than I do. 

IMO He's gotta go, and he's gotta make the list at least 5 teams otherwise the return will be limited. If he really wants to help the team become a winner, then he's gotta go. 

Also, If he wants to resign here he needs to keep that **** quiet.

He will go from a "yeah but " scapegoat to a bonafide philly pariah over the next 3 months, the turn from mildly sympathetic figure to asshole will be instant within the fanbase. 

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Little bump here, For you Ozzy!

Was listening to Snow the Goalie this AM and those jackals were talking about how the decision to waive or not has been affecting his play and as a result his value.

Bundy is saying there is likely only one team on the list, that may or may not be true. 

Anthony was saying he's 100% sure Giroux will be traded because, even if he wants to come back to Philly his refusal to be traded will hurt the team and further degrade a legacy that Claude seems to want to protect. 

Russ was wondering how a competitor wouldn't want the opportunity to chase a title regardless of the emotions and family decisions involved.

It was a pretty interesting conversation from some people who know more than I do. 

IMO He's gotta go, and he's gotta make the list at least 5 teams otherwise the return will be limited. If he really wants to help the team become a winner, then he's gotta go. 

Also, If he wants to resign here he needs to keep that **** quiet.

He will go from a "yeah but " scapegoat to a bonafide philly pariah over the next 3 months, the turn from mildly sympathetic figure to asshole will be instant within the fanbase. 

As Captain he should do what's best for the team with no hesitation. 😁

• Like 1

@Cheesesteak

I would think, and this is really just how I think, leaving this dumpster fire of a team to chase a cup with a good team and then returning to the team you "abandoned" would be emotionally messy. I'll bet it feels like you're abandoning your friends when they need you.

The only way it works is, the person leaving does win, the assets gained from the trade make a timely positive impact and the guys left to play out the string don't hold a grudge.

It seems like a lot. 

A situation like this is probably not what was anticipated when the no move clause was written. 

So, I think the prospect of leaving the team needs to be thought of as a permanent move. And I can imagine it is difficult.

Edited by mojo1917
Added a thought that wasn't clear at all via subtext.
  • Uggh... 1

Does it really matter if Giroux gets traded? I mean whoever Fletcher deals with is going to take advantage of him to the point that whatever comes our way will likely help about as much as a paper bag of used coffee grinds would help #70s hockey smarts.

On 3/10/2022 at 8:44 AM, mojo1917 said:

@Cheesesteak

I would think, and this is really just how I think, leaving this dumpster fire of a team to chase a cup with a good team and then returning to the team you "abandoned" would be emotionally messy. I'll bet it feels like you're abandoning your friends when they need you.

The only way it works is, the person leaving does win, the assets gained from the trade make a timely positive impact and the guys left to play out the string don't hold a grudge.

It seems like a lot. 

A situation like this is probably not what was anticipated when the no move clause was written. 

So, I think the prospect of leaving the team needs to be thought of as a permanent move. And I can imagine it is difficult.

i think the subject is being way overthought by many. If Giroux waives, gets traded to a contender, competes for a cup (win or lose, no matter), brings assets back that help the team, then returns.....he will be lauded as a hero. If the team turns it around, in part because of what he did, he will be a Flyer legend. Philly will love this guy forever, but he won't get a statue

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Philly will love this guy forever, but he won't get a statue

If he does, they have to put it right behind a statue of an Ottawa cop.   We'll call the art scene, "Cup'a'Cop"

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Does it really matter if Giroux gets traded? I mean whoever Fletcher deals with is going to take advantage of him to the point that whatever comes our way will likely help about as much as a paper bag of used coffee grinds would help #70s hockey smarts.

At this point in history, I am totally confident Chuck gets fleeced in all his moves going forward, Giroux included. He has done absolutely nothing positive for this franchise, in fact he has only hurt. 

• Like 2