Giroux Trade Talk

elmatus

I agree, not quickly and certainly not guaranteed. The fact I hope we all agree is that Giroux is a helluva good player. Searching for top end talent by giving up top end talent doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense to me. 

And I’m worried that Rad and others are right the return for Giroux isn’t likely to WOW any of us. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I said it in the shout box but will sort of repeat it here.

I am 100% ready to watch Giroux and Fletcher fly the plane into the mountains over the next 5 days.

Thursday night can't get here soon enough, skate a shift in game 1000, then pull his ass up the tunnel, and onto a plane to Raliegh, Ft Lauderdale (closest to Sunrise) Denver or Minneapolis. 

Image result for temple of doom plane crash gif

See the source image

image.png.d317694f6c7bdb1c36d0987708ba533c.png

See the source image

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Searching for top end talent by giving up top end talent doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense to me. 

If he gets traded I 1000% expect the Flyers to re-sign him.

Not even a doubt.

Which means they get whatever assets they acquire for renting him out and get to keep him. Win/win for them.

The only thing that would stop that is if he didn't want to re-sign.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I agree, not quickly and certainly not guaranteed. The fact I hope we all agree is that Giroux is a helluva good player. Searching for top end talent by giving up top end talent doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense to me. 

And I’m worried that Rad and others are right the return for Giroux isn’t likely to WOW any of us. 

trading away top talent whose contract expires at the end of the season and can resign with the team after the season for top end talent makes sense. 😉😁

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Quickly?  I don’t think so.

Well, an NHL ready prospect, and this might be important..."developed by a different team" pushes current detritus on the roster down a line or back the AHL.

A second first round pick in 2023 will most likely be a good player too, so that will be a top 5 draft pick, 2 mid to late round draft picks, a good prospect. That's 4 potentially high-end dudes in the system in under 2 years.

This includes resigning Giroux, who is still pretty good at hockey.

In a few years if handled correctly, this season of sucking could be viewed as a franchise turning point.

It is not out of the realm of possibilities. 

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Well, an NHL ready prospect, and this might be important..."developed by a different team" pushes current detritus on the roster down a line or back the AHL.

A second first round pick in 2023 will most likely be a good player too, so that will be a top 5 draft pick, 2 mid to late round draft picks, a good prospect. That's 4 potentially high-end dudes in the system in under 2 years.

In a few years if handled correctly, this season of sucking could be viewed as a franchise turning point.

So, summarized…The Flyers are two years away from being two years away?!?😂

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm coming around to the increasing feeling among pundits that the return isn't likely to be as overwhelming as we might think/like.

Colorado's first, for example, will likely be 25+ (and 32 if Giroux gets "his" Cup). I don't think they give up a "top talent" prospect along with it - more likely a guy "with upside." And an Avs 1st wouldn't be until at least 2023.

The pick(s) could also easily have contingencies (progress in playoffs, re-signing with acquiring team/Flyers, Giroux's production).

I would be (happily) stunned if it was a Newhook or a Rossi type player. Just don't see that happening for what is likely to be a flat out rental.

In all honesty I would prefer a 2023 pick.

I'm not expecting a Newhook or Rossi, but it sure would be nice. 

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

In all honesty I would prefer a 2023 pick.

It is supposed to be a better draft.

That said, that makes the "help" a few years away and your favorite managerial staff are looking for sooner than later...

• Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Buddy, why you gotta be my personal wet blanket up in this?

Can't you just let me have this one?

sheesh. 

If my aunt had any balls she'd be my uncle but she doesn't. 

Those are the dudes running the show- until they're not, believe me I haven't forgotten.

The trade of Giroux remains the best way to quickly infuse new talent on the roster. Regardless of who is doing the trading. 

I'm sure Fletcher will make the best deal possible and not get taken in any way. The player and/or pick we get will likely end up leading the franchise to several cups and they'll build a statue of him in front of Rocky. 

Happy?

(Ya, I don't believe it either)

3 hours ago, radoran said:

If he gets traded I 1000% expect the Flyers to re-sign him.

Not even a doubt.

Which means they get whatever assets they acquire for renting him out and get to keep him. Win/win for them.

The only thing that would stop that is if he didn't want to re-sign.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Laviolette called him "the best player in the world".

That said, Giroux should be in that conversation - as in "hasn't achieved as much as Ovechkin or Crosby."

Seriously, Giroux is a good player, but he is no where near the conversation with Ovechkin or Crosby.  Crosby has multiple Cups, six 100+ point seasons, two Harts, two Lindsay/Pearsons, and two Conn Smythes.  Ovechkin has won a Cup, scored 50+ eight times, has three Hart and three Pearson/Lindsay awards, and is 3rd overall in league goal scoring ever.

Claude Giroux is ~20th overall in points per game over the past ten years, has one 100+ point season, scored 25 or more five times, and won the John Scott All-Star MVP Award for 3-on-3. He was in the conversation for Hart once, and in 14 years he's only won the Flyers' MVP five times. #notallhisfault

It's embarrassing the way the organization* tries to deify him.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Mojo, I agree with you that this is an opportunity to right the ship and acquire multiple top of the line up pieces. My fear is that Chuck thinks he can turn this around with a trade or 2 and be competitive next season. I just don't see it that way. I think the only way out of this is a gut where in 2 drafts from now the Flyers have 5 or 6 top of the roster pieces. We have seen what comes of being mediocre, just more mediocre and this season. Our beloved Flyers don't need a tweak, they need a purge, and let the young, incoming players set the tone and the culture of the team. As great as Giroux has been, his timing in Philly sucked, and the team has sadly regressed during his tenure. That's not on him, but he surely knows moving on is best for everyone.

• Good Post 1

4 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I think the Flyers get a pretty good prospect and a high draft pick, I think that's the low end.

That isn't "wow" by any stretch, but based on some comparable deals recently, what I've typed there should be the floor.

Even if that's all Chuck manages, I'm okay with a good young player and a 1st.

That's more good young players for the team to build around.

I totally understand your and everyone else's skepticism/gloomy outlook. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I may be in the minority here but I hope this happens. 

I don't think you're in the minority at all.

At the right price, I'm not unalterably opposed to it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't think you're in the minority at all.

At the right price, I'm not unalterably opposed to it.

I think anything over 6 is an overpay, pay Giroux Ristolainen money...that might not be terrible, I'd prefer even less. 

That said, I don't think he under-performed his current contract. 

I just don't see where he gets better from today going forward. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I think anything over 6 is an overpay, pay Giroux Ristolainen money...that might not be terrible, I'd prefer even less. 

That said, I don't think he under-performed his current contract. 

I just don't see where he gets better from today going forward. 

$6Mx5Y is fair and under the new MOU as long as there isn't any frontloading shenanigans he can walk away when he wants to. 5Y may be long. 3Y? He just talked about playing until he was 40.

I cannot conceive of them not re-signing him if he wants to be here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Especially if guys like Allison, Ratcliffe Zamula and York can step in contribute, I  think all four can be with the team next year. I just dont know if they would keep Zamula up playing fourth line minutes. If we deal Provorov or Sanheim then who knows. Maybe mid to late season Brink and Foerester can be called up.  I guess it all depends on what we get for Giroux, we may get two NHL ready guys , so then i dont think Brink and Foerester get a shot until the following year. There is also still hope for Frost and O'Brian to become good players.  Management needs to identify the quitters on this team and get rid of them and let the young guys play.

• Like 1

Interesting/amusing? I just googled him to see where he was born (thinking about if he might want to finish his career somewhere else or not) and somebody has got him listed in wikipedia as playing for Minnesota. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Giroux

Over zealous Minnesota fans or did I just time travel? :)