Tortorella interviewed for Flyers coach

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Oh wait...Holmgren would still be skulking about...nevermind. :shifty: 

They should just lock Holmgren in the team janitor closet, with an abacus and a couple of medium sized vents. He'll be fine.:bigteeth:

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

Can't we sign them both :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Make it the Trotz and Torts show!

They could have Tater Tots Tuesdays as a running special. 

Why not. 

Gonna start with a T though, bet on it. Already said which T I think it'll be. Pity the fool that thinks otherwise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I met Mr. T when I was 8 years old! (1989)

Gave me a little black A-Team van....Dude was SUPER cool.

He available? :)

I imagine he is available. Age taking a bit out of him as it does to us all.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

This team needs a good old fashion @ss kicking and Torts is the coach to do it. He is going to weed out the players that are not going to cut the mustard playing for him and force them out of the organization and in many ways that is what this team needs. 

There is one player however that might not mesh with Torts that I hope is not affected by him and that is Carter Hart. I hope Torts leaves the goalies to the Goalie Coach and don't become too hard on Carter Hart because that could really ruin him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

This team needs a good old fashion @ss kicking and Torts is the coach to do it. He is going to weed out the players that are not going to cut the mustard playing for him and force them out of the organization and in many ways that is what this team needs. 

There is one player however that might not mesh with Torts that I hope is not affected by him and that is Carter Hart. I hope Torts leaves the goalies to the Goalie Coach and don't become too hard on Carter Hart because that could really ruin him.

Torts has a long history of stating that he does not understand goalies and wants someone else to deal with them, lol. And really Bobrovsky, Lundqvist, Khabibulin, Luongo, Elvis, those were the goalies who played under Torts and while I wouldnt presume for one minute to give him credit for making them the goalies they became, I will absolutely give him credit for leaving them the hell alone and telling them mind the net and he will have everyone else play a sound smart 200 foot game. That is his forte, let the goalies tend their net and force other teams to take low percentage shots so his goalies have it a bit easier with him compared to most other coaches.

• Like 4

On 5/28/2022 at 3:12 PM, Icechipper said:

have you tried reaching Chuck Norris? He can melt Ice with his eyes and roundhouse kick a stick barrel into the visiting lockeroom 

Or as a player because Chuck Norris is able to score a goal without taking a SOG and win in regulation after the OT by recording a goal and a assist in the same exact time while having a save efficency above 1.000. Moreover, it doesn't take penaties: it's the penalty who goes in the box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

The problem(and it's been the problem since he's been here) is that goaltending coach is Kim Dillabaugh, who has already negatively affected Hart's career.  And, with this team set to have another of the young goaltenders on the roster as Hart's backup, if Kim is left in the job, he will continue to negatively affect them both.

The team needs a head coach that is going to bring his own goaltending coach.  A competent NHL goaltending coach that these goaltenders deserve.  One that can actually help them improve and refine their technique, increase their confidence, and help their careers.  One that can properly teach them what it takes to be an NHL goaltender.  That goaltending coach is not Kim Dillabaugh.  That head coach is not Tortorella for this team.  His antics aren't what this team needs, and they only become old and stale to NHL players.  If he's hired, he's gone in 2 years, max.  And, this whole process needs to start again with this same front office able to make the same excuses again about the head coach, keep their jobs, and continue to damage this organization.

With your username I can see you are not a fan of Kim Dillabaugh. You might as well face it he is not going anywhere because they probably would have cleaned him out when they got rid of Mike Yeo. You might be correct that John Tortorella may not be the perfect fit for this team and I do understand your reasoning that he wears out his welcome pretty quickly most of the time. The thing with Torts is he can get the most of of teams that don't have much to give and right now that is the Flyers. Maybe in those 2 years he would be here he can get them in the right direction at least for the next coach up. Like I stated in another post this is not a quick fix. This is going to be a long process, especially with the moron that is running the show. 

11 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Not necessarily.  With the hiring of some head coaches, they bring their own assistants and goaltending coach(es) with them.  Which is why he wasn't "cleaned out" yet.  Which is just another reason why the head coach needs to be someone other than Tortorella.  He absolutely won't be bringing his own goaltending coach with him, and these goaltenders would be stuck with Dillabaugh again.

But, that means hoping that this front office still has SOME slight bit of competence left in them to realize that it's time to make a change with Dillabaugh's position.  Because, during the time he's been with this team, he has shown that he's not the right guy for the job.  Hart doesn't need a "friend" as his goaltending coach any longer.  He needs, and deserves, to have a quality goaltending coach that can properly, finally improve his game.

I agree that some head coaches do recommend an entire staff to bring on board. I would think however keeping Dillabaugh already the Flyers have in the back of their minds that is not going to be the route they go towards in hiring a new coach.

We all know the front office does thing @ss backwards. So we really should never be surprised what comes next. However, I think you are wrong with a goalie coach being a sort of a friend and mentor as well as someone who teaches them as well. Goalies are most definitely a different breed among the hockey players and I believe they need to be handled differently. This is why most head coaches leave them the hell alone and leave it up to the goalie coaches to deal with them one on one. 

4 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

This is what head coaches do when their goaltending coach is a competent NHL goaltending coach.  Dillabaugh has had his chance to show he's that.  Dillabaugh has not done so.  Many seem to believe that goaltending hasn't been a problem or deserves any bit of accountability on this organization.  And, that the problems have all been because of the team in front of those goaltenders.  Unfortunately, that's just not reality.  The goaltenders on this roster often show their poor technique, poor decision making, and just poor play when the team needs them the most.  And they deserve just as much blame and accountability as the players in front of them.  The goaltending must be better for this team to be a competitive NHL team.  That's not going to happen with Dillabaugh.

Dillabaugh is here only because he's a friend of Hart's.  I'm obviously in no way saying that the future goaltending coach can't be friendly and be a mentor to Hart and Fedotov/Sandstrom.  What I'm saying is that it can't be the ONLY reason they are here.  They must be competent NHL goaltending coaches that can help this goaltending improve for this team.  And these goaltenders deserve to have that.

You cannot sit and say that the defence of the Flyers have been a major issue recently and probably the biggest issue of the team? Much more then Carter Hart. Just looking at last season the defence was a complete mess and far worse than Carter Hart and Martin Jones. Both Hart and Jones had a Save Percentage over .900 and I am not saying that is spectatular, but the woes I think if you ask the majority of the Flyers fans they would say it would go with the play of the defence not from Hart and Jones. 

I also don't think a goalie coach can be just a friend and in my opinion Dillabaugh is not just that. You have a difference in opinion of him and that is perfectly okay. If he goes, I just hope it doesn't complete screw up the head of Hart and the other new young goalies. 

25 minutes ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

I agree that some head coaches do recommend an entire staff to bring on board. I would think however keeping Dillabaugh already the Flyers have in the back of their minds that is not going to be the route they go towards in hiring a new coach.

We all know the front office does thing @ss backwards. So we really should never be surprised what comes next. However, I think you are wrong with a goalie coach being a sort of a friend and mentor as well as someone who teaches them as well. Goalies are most definitely a different breed among the hockey players and I believe they need to be handled differently. This is why most head coaches leave them the hell alone and leave it up to the goalie coaches to deal with them one on one. 

I've got to agree with @FireDillabaughon this one - Dillabaugh has to go. I know he was highly touted in the Kings organization at one time, but he's done nothing since arriving in Philadelphia. Jeff Reese was the previous goaltending coach and he completely resurrected Steve Mason's career here. The only reason he walked was because Berube played Mason not long after having knee surgery and he was furious. Hextall sided with Berube, only for Reese to leave. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd be good with Reese coming back, if he's available. Bill Dark would be another good coach, but I think he's in Buffalo (he was the London Knights goaltending coach/guru). Mitch Korn is also a real good one, but he seems to be tied to the hip with Trotz. The only way a team might get Korn is if they pay him a legitimate coach salary. This is a great example why am organization should not just have a good player pipeline, but a good coaching pipeline as well. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I've got to agree with @FireDillabaughon this one - Dillabaugh has to go. I know he was highly touted in the Kings organization at one time, but he's done nothing since arriving in Philadelphia. Jeff Reese was the previous goaltending coach and he completely resurrected Steve Mason's career here. The only reason he walked was because Berube played Mason not long after having knee surgery and he was furious. Hextall sided with Berube, only for Reese to leave. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd be good with Reese coming back, if he's available. Bill Dark would be another good coach, but I think he's in Buffalo (he was the London Knights goaltending coach/guru). Mitch Korn is also a real good one, but he seems to be tied to the hip with Trotz. The only way a team might get Korn is if they pay him a legitimate coach salary. This is a great example why am organization should not just have a good player pipeline, but a good coaching pipeline as well. 

I do feel and understand what both of you are saying. I also feel however with two very young goalies that will be on the roster next season, I don't think it is the time to be changing it up at this time with the goalies. One of these young goalies in Hart has been working with Dillabaugh for sometime now and Fedotov will be new to the whole process and it is just my belief having someone in the system would be better. That is just my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

I didn't say any part of this team's game was the "biggest issue".  What I said is that the goaltending deserves the same blame and accountability as the players in front of them.  And, the argument can be made that the laziness of many of the forwards on the roster, and their complete disregard for back checking, their being out of position consistently and not in position for outlets of the defensemen, and the consistent lack of an active forecheck to work opposing defensemen, regain puck possession and play more hockey in their offensive zone also lead to the issues that the defense had.  Defense in hockey doesn't simply lie on the defensemen in the lineup.  Team defense is what competitive NHL teams play.  And, that includes the forwards keeping that puck and the play in their offensive end of the ice as often as possible.

Imo, Provy's consistency MUST improve.  He's shown he has the skill to be a top pair dman.  He just doesn't show it often enough.  Sanheim played VERY well in many aspects of his game and that needs to continue.  York played well and still needs quality coaching to help him improve.  I believe Ellis is done, and Sanheim and York "should" battle in Camp for the top pairing spot with Provy.  Attard played very well also, after looking out of place in his first 2 games and should be the 2nd pairing guy with Sanheim/York(whichever doesn't win the top pairing job).  And Hogberg didn't look out of place AT ALL in the few games he played.  I believe he's ready to be a steady 3rd pairing dman.  Risto, on the other hand, never should have even been considered for a roster spot, let alone playing on the 2nd pairing and getting 21+ mins ATOI.  He's nothing more than a 3rd pair defenseman, if not the 7th dman.  I think Hogberg and Zamula can be a quality 3rd pair, with Risto as the 7th.  However, as I've said here before, this organization's front office would need to admit to the huge mistake they've made with him if he was made the 6th or 7th dman, instead of keeping him on the 2nd pair.  I have no doubt that it was a mandate laid down by the front office to have him on that 2nd pair, no matter what.  But, overall, I don't believe the defensemen themselves, aside from Risto, were all that bad.  Yes, they can be better.  But, putting the entire blame and accountability on them isn't realistic and doesn't help the team in any way whatsoever.

All aspects of this team's play deserve blame and accountability.  And, excusing any part of it from that accountability helps no one.

And the majority of the Flyers fans believe the propaganda that's shoved down their throats by this organization.  There's a select few that realize the truth, and properly identify what needs to happen.  What "the majority of Flyers fans" believe is of no concern or consequence.  It's a passionate fanbase.  But, for the most part, it is not a smart hockey fanbase by any means.  Martin Jones was nothing more than another 30+ project in net who has one of the worst blocker hands in the NHL.  What he accomplished in the past means nothing.  He is not the goaltender that he was in the past, and I couldn't be happier if we never see him in a Flyers sweater again.

I think we can agree that there was a lot that was a mess with this team not only last season but also before that as well. Hart however and I believe many to view him as a future bright spot of the team along with some of the other younger talent that is on this team. 

There are many issues from what goes on in the front office, to laziness on the ice and just poor play that led to the dismal play of last season. 

I do not believe you have to worry about Martin Jones being in a Flyers jersey next season or at least I hope the hell not. I think that is a no brainer that even Fletcher can not screw up, but I better not say that too quickly. 

• Like 1