What is Konecny worth in a trade?

RonJeremy

If Konecny is going to be traded, what should the Flyers get back? On a good team with good linemates Konecny would definitely be a 30 goal scorer. So I would think, he's worth a high first round pick and a good prospect. If we traded him at next year's deadline,  we would get even more.

Let's say at the draft we pick Jiricek and then a team like Columbus or Ottawa offers us their pick and a good prospect for Konecny , then we can pick Savoie or Gauthier. Short term it hurts the team to lose Konecny,  but considering we are 4-5 years away from being good and Konecny will be an UFA in three years. I think trading him is the way to go.

So the question is...does it pay to keep him or build for the future. If Flyers management was realistic,  they would make that kind of trade realizing that we are gonna suck for the next three years, so why keep Konecny for 5.5 million,when you have a bunch of right wing prospects like, Allison, Tippett, Foerester and Brink.

We are gonna need cap space to sign some of our young guys and Sanheim is going to be an UFA after this season. If we make a trade at the draft we can fill two needs with a defenseman and a center. Fletcher also needs to see if Sanheim wants to stay, if he doesn't, then he has to be traded too.

46 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If Konecny is going to be traded, what should the Flyers get back? On a good team with good linemates Konecny would definitely be a 30 goal scorer. So I would think, he's worth a high first round pick and a good prospect. If we traded him at next year's deadline,  we would get even more.

Let's say at the draft we pick Jiricek and then a team like Columbus or Ottawa offers us their pick and a good prospect for Konecny , then we can pick Savoie or Gauthier. Short term it hurts the team to lose Konecny,  but considering we are 4-5 years away from being good and Konecny will be an UFA in three years. I think trading him is the way to go.

So the question is...does it pay to keep him or build for the future. If Flyers management was realistic,  they would make that kind of trade realizing that we are gonna suck for the next three years, so why keep Konecny for 5.5 million,when you have a bunch of right wing prospects like, Allison, Tippett, Foerester and Brink.

We are gonna need cap space to sign some of our young guys and Sanheim is going to be an UFA after this season. If we make a trade at the draft we can fill two needs with a defenseman and a center. Fletcher also needs to see if Sanheim wants to stay, if he doesn't, then he has to be traded too.

Aggressive rebuild. It worked so well last year...why NOT do it again?

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Aggressive rebuild. It worked so well last year...why NOT do it again?

B.B.B -Build Back Better. What probably happens is ,we give up assets to dump JVR, we sign Godreau, we keep Konecny and we still suck. Then in three years they announce a rebuild.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Boy if only that was how people were/are thinking about the state of this Flyers team.

I think a high first and a good prospect might be too beaucoup of a return for Travis. I can see where the teams you mention may do something along those lines, but maybe a later round pick instead, if they think they are ready to start assembling their "core' group. Konecny is on a good contract and would most likely be better on a better team. Ottawa would suck to play against with him and Tkachuk. 

I wonder how the Farabee injury is factoring into any team building calculations.

He's going to miss some camp, and will be behind the fitness 8-ball if what Torts is saying is true. He  is a good kid and player but I think he starts slowly this season when he comes back. That is a top 6 hole on a team where he's one of maybe 4 guys with a top 6 resume'.

It should be a factor, the solution shoudn't be 6 years of Nick Paul at 3.2 aav

I think moves can be made to improve the team in the short and medium term. I don't know if the GM has the ability or the bastard in him to make them.

I don't think your suggestion is outrageous, I hope ideas like this are being considered.

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I saw the thread title and said "NO!!!!"

I hate the idea of trading Konecny because I think his problems are coaching/organization.

But your suggestion actually works.   Columbus isn't as far off as all that, and Konecny as their 2RW behind Laine or 1RW across from Laine might not be a horrific idea for them.   They do need a center, though.

If it gets us another top 10 pick it wouldn't have to be a Kent Johnson or even Marchenko.  But man, would that be cool.

Greig or Pinto from Ottawa could be fun, but it doesn't have to be near that high if we're getting their top 10 pick.   Ottawa makes a little less sense to me, but not beyond the realm.  And @mojo1917 is right that they'd be really tough to play against with Travis AND Tkachuk.   Actually, that by itself may make it really attractive to them.

This would require an admission from management that this season is tossed.  I don't know that they have either the brains or spinal cord required to make that call.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This would require an admission from management that this season is tossed. 

Oh so we pull a Montreal Canadian for Bedard? 

I'm down. They would miss the playoffs anyway because I sure a rash of injuries will pop up too....no reason to NOT think this same medical staff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I like how 2 days into the off season, we're already talking about tanking next season.....

I love you guys....🥰

Nothing to see here. Back to the pool with me!

It's how we can stay 2 years away from being 3 years away...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I saw the thread title and said "NO!!!!"

I hate the idea of trading Konecny because I think his problems are coaching/organization.

I agree with this and I will take it a step further. I actually believe Torts can turn him into the player we all were hoping and thought he'd be. Might be wishful thinking, but I can see him and Torts getting along. 

This Flyers roster, like so many in the past, is loaded with players that will help win a Stanley Cup...all they have to do is get themselves traded

Seriously, if I'm on this roster, I'm finding even way possible to get dealt .

NAK, says "Hi"

(I still hate him)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I don’t understand the point of moving a top 6 25-year old in the hopes of getting back a prospect who may or may not become a top 6 player and a 30-goal scorer. Of course you’re right @RonJeremy the Flyers won’t be Cup contenders anytime soon. But TK is exactly the type of player Cup champions keep while they’re  building. Jettisoning him to gamble on “greener pastures” doesn’t seem wise to me.

Now to get rid of Hayes and/or Ristolainen I’d move Konecny and almost anyone else. But I keep forgetting the Flyers like those 2.

The problem I see is this.. Konecny will be an UFA in 3 years, considering how bad this team is, do you honestly think he is gonna give a hometown discount to re-sign with a losing team? I think he is tired of the losing and the trade rumors.  I see him becoming and UFA and deciding his own future. We will be lucky to make the playoffs over the next three years. You have to get the right kind of deal for him, if you can’t get that deal, you wait until the deadline. The Flyers do not need to give up three young guys to get DeBrincat or someone like that. We have no depth and cannot afford to do 3 for 1 deals. We should actually be trading guys like Konecny for multiple assets and if we can’t sign Sanheim, then we have to do the same with him. We also have to make sure we get the right players /picks in any trade .

I know we are dealing with Fletcher and so far his trades have all been failures, other than unloading Voracek. I do think he has made some good draft picks, Foerester, Wysdom, Attard, Desoyners, Brink and York,etc. One thing that bothers me is, he passed on high impact scorers like Boldy and Caufield and traded down for York and used the extra pick for Brink. He passed on the highly skilled offensive guys who made an immediate impact , where our guy have not made any impact yet. We probably passed on one great player in order to have two good players.

I think Shmuck will end up trading down in order to get a second round pick. I also don’t see us going after a highly skilled guy like Savoie, I see a usual Flyer move and we will pick Gauthier. We always take the pickup truck over the Porsche. Coots over Hamilton, York over Caufiled and Boldy, Mike Ricci over Jagr.  The Flyers always go for the two way kinda guy over the finesse guy. That’s why our team is so boring and the PP always sucks. One thing that may affect the draft is, I think Shmuck knows Ellis is not coming back and he may just take a dman like Jiricek, who can probably make the team in one year.

15 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I see him becoming and UFA and deciding his own future

Or worse.   At 28 he signs a 7 yr, $9M deal with the Flyers' Imbecile GM du jour. 

I like TK.  I'd prefer not to move him.  I get the hesitancy and the "bird in the hand > 2 in bush" argument.   I actually kind of agree on a certain level.  But I have zero faith in Bizarro Fonzie and Chuckles the wunderSchmuck so why not move the salary, and throw back in for people that will be 21-23 in 3 years when we're talking about trading the people that are 21-23 NOW because we're looking at another three years at that point.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

so why not move the salary, and throw back in for people that will be 21-23 in 3 years when we're talking about trading the people that are 21-23 NOW because we're looking at another three years at that point.

Cause thats what a smart GM would do who realizes the team isn't going anywhere. 

• Like 1

Fiala fetches the 19th pick in this draft and a prospect, who was an early 2nd round pick in 2020. Fiala is 25 yrs old, coming off his best season. He is an appreciative asset. Chuckles must think he could get 3 or 4 injured 30somethings for Koneckny after seeing this deal. Sadly, Chuckles couldn't get in the Fiala conversation due to the number of albatross contracts hanging around his neck. Lets Go Flyers! BITFU.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Fiala fetches the 19th pick in this draft and a prospect, who was an early 2nd round pick in 2020. Fiala is 25 yrs old, coming off his best season. He is an appreciative asset. Chuckles must think he could get 3 or 4 injured 30somethings for Koneckny after seeing this deal. Sadly, Chuckles couldn't get in the Fiala conversation due to the number of albatross contracts hanging around his neck. Lets Go Flyers! BITFU.

That is crazy over pay for a UFA, is Rob Blake still their GM?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ar first glance I agree, but a 2nd and 19th this year have no assurance of playing in the NHL.

Also, I would think Blake has a contract extension in hand, otherwise the return would be a 4th. Finally, LA has the best prospect pool in the league right now, and an up and coming team.  I like the deal, but there is always risk.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Agree.  Fiala was "site and situation" this year.  He's simply not worth this.

And absolutely not worth the Konecny + 1st drunken insanity in the shoutbox today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We always take the pickup truck over the Porsche. Coots over Hamilton

If only this year was loaded like that class was. RNH, Zibanejad, Landeskog, Huberdeau…

But if I could go back in time I don’t know that I’d take Hamilton over Couturier. Maybe, because a #1 D-man is harder to find and the Flyers have been searching since Pronger. But the value each guy brings to his team is pretty similar really, and Couturier is one reason I can stay interested in the Flyers.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:10 AM, RonJeremy said:

Sorry, but I just don't see any team giving a first round pick in this draft year let alone a prospect and pic.

Hope I'm wrong though, would love to see the shelves stocked again.

But this is Fletcher we are talking about so he probably trades our first rounder and Konecny for a prospect.

38 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But if I could go back in time I don’t know that I’d take Hamilton over Couturier

Hamilton is on his 4th team and Couturier took a team friendly deal to remain a Flyer effectively for life.

🤔

• Like 4

8 hours ago, radoran said:

Hamilton is on his 4th team and Couturier took a team friendly deal to remain a Flyer effectively for life.

🤔

Well I'm not sure an 8-year / $62mil contract - signed when he was what, 28? - is all that "team friendly" but you make a good point nonetheless: Hamilton is a great player but his shelf-life is apparently 3 years per team. I haven't follow his career so I have no idea why that is - was he chasing money? Doesn't he work and play well with others? Anyway I've been very happy with Couturier all along.

I do think the Flyers mishandled him early on - which is very hard to imagine I realize (!) - but sticking him with 3rd line minutes for 4 years probably stunted his growth in the NHL. Then again maybe he emerged stronger for it so who knows...? Not me evidently lol.

10 hours ago, radoran said:

🤔

Yes and in three years he will be washed up with four years left on his contract. I know you have to keep around a good veteran like Coots ,but if he was the only one with a big contract and long term it wouldn't be bad. The problem I see is ,you have  Coots and Hayes two big slow guys over thirty coming off surgery with long term big contracts. Neither are good skaters, once they lose a step their game will really deteriorate. Back injuries and core injuries are not encouraging. 

Edited by RonJeremy

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Well I'm not sure an 8-year / $62mil contract - signed when he was what, 28? - is all that "team friendly" but you make a good point nonetheless

The player, when healthy, was one of the top 2-way centermen in the league, he had just won the Selke.

He and Sasha Barkov and  Anthony Cirelli were going to pass that thing around for the next 5 -7 years.

He would have been able to get more (significantly more) $ in free agency,(and even from the Flyers) .

I remember reading comments along the line of [ his wanting to be able to add more good players to the team was a reason for the lower .aav and extra year].

That's my idea of team friendly.

I said at the time, he's so slow already, how will anyone know if he's lost a step?  Many guys were complaining about the length of the contract...

I was trying to get laugh, but it's still true. And I do think that his game is one that will age gracefully, I think he'll still be an effective player at the end of the term. 

• Like 3