Game 22: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Islanders; 11/26/22 at 7:30 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

We are underdogs (+180).  The Islanders are 7-3 after a slow start.  Sorokin and Varlamov have been tough to score against.  Barzal is another Crosby against us.  Will it be Hart or Sandstrom in goal?  Do you give Hart another start to prove himself after a pull, or do you reward Sandstrom for a good effort?  

Torts' post-game presser after the Pitt loss was surprisingly calm, but there was quiet resignation.  He did not comment on effort and made it clear Hart was not the problem.  My take is that of frustration.  He may not be able to extract much from this squad.  

Going to be a long winter if the only distraction from the cold and dark is this monkeyfcuking a football organization.

This is the last year teen girl mojo will be cheering for basketball so that will get me through until mid-February. I'm not sure the quality of the hoops team this year. Last year they played in the county semis (lost by a bucket) and qualified for states (smoked by New Castle). The best kid and 2 quality senior leaders graduated but there were some okay players coming off the bench. That team will at least be interesting to watch.

I don't know what the rest of you are going to do. 

Can't wait to see the Flyers "catch fire" in late March and secure the 6th pick in the draft. 

The hope is gone. 

There literally is nothing to look forward to when thinking about this Flyers team.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Just now, Howie58 said:

I am questioning my loyalty to this franchise. The respect I had as a child and younger adult is disintegrating. I set up these game threads out of respect for this gang, but wonder why? That is isn't a comment on the board. It's a comment on my disgust with this franchise and the lack of progress since fleeing Philly.com 11 years ago!

I'm glad you still come around Howie, I appreciate this effort. 

I share your pessimism.

Massive change is required before I'll spend another moment caring or dime of my money on the Flyers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm glad you still come around Howie, I appreciate this effort. 

I share your pessimism.

Massive change is required before I'll spend another moment caring or dime of my money on the Flyers. 

Welcome mojo.

I've felt this way about the Flyers going on 5 years. Let's hope they finally do something about this utter nonsense.

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Looks like the tank is going to plan.

Everyone knows this is exactly what Chuck had planned to get the top pick in the draft.

"Chuck" and "planned" in the same sentence - that's a good one!

My god how this team needs a new GM - today.

ABF will be an improvement. Only one qualification - the new GM has to have balls, the bigger the better. If the rumors are true then the new GM will have his hands full. He'll need to educate the Old Guard that muscle is not enough and that the days of buying a Stanley Cup are long gone.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Maybe we need to get a mass email/mail and reporter campaign to off Fletcher. They know something is wrong via attendance. They need other messaging. 

We cant have another draft with this management team. I'll write off this season. And I doubt this crew fetches much in trades. Let's hope we replenish the cupboard sooner than later.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced the Flyers are doomed until Clarke, Holmgren etc. are gone. A new GM - provided he's not a Homer-clone "yes man" - can do a world of good for this team. Not every player in the org is a scrub, not every trade they will need to make will net a loss (other than financially).

Hayes is putting up points he will have some value at the TD (I know he's got a NMC; he can be convinced to move on). Ristolainen...eh you take what you can get. If the Flyers get back the picks Fletcher threw away it'll be a win in both cases. Maybe you even get a good prospect or 2 in the process.

Fletcher's days have to be numbered by now...and I for one am psyched to see what a new GM will do.

• Like 1

Greetings:  

This is a well-crafted piece from San Fillippo and Crossing Broad:

Flyers Need a Leadership Change Again, and Soon: Thoughts After Penguins 4, Flyers 1 - Crossing Broad

I am glad to see one of the "Media Elite" weigh in.  The Flyers leadership can't ignore this stuff for long.  

The guy who wrote that story is a moron.

I can't imagine being concerned that Torts is hurting Hayes' trade value.  He has none.

You know who hurt Hayes trade value?  Hayes.

Dude is a fat, floating stiff with zero leadership abilities.

He is not admired around the league - he's a joke around the league.

• Like 1

Here's the thing with Schmuck. Not only is he GM, he's also president. If he wanted to, he could easily fire the senior advisors and would be well within his job description to do so. If they do decide to fire Schmuck, I hope Dave Scott is smart enough to bring in an actual president of hockey operations and lets them run things accordingly. That means they decide who the senior advisors will be and who the next GM is. Let the president put everyone in notice that things are going to change. 

17 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

We are underdogs (+180).  The Islanders are 7-3 after a slow start.  Sorokin and Varlamov have been tough to score against.  Barzal is another Crosby against us.  Will it be Hart or Sandstrom in goal?  Do you give Hart another start to prove himself after a pull, or do you reward Sandstrom for a good effort?  

Torts' post-game presser after the Pitt loss was surprisingly calm, but there was quiet resignation.  He did not comment on effort and made it clear Hart was not the problem.  My take is that of frustration.  He may not be able to extract much from this squad.  

Howie, I hit that point last year. I have been a fan since their second year,  but now I follow them if I have nothing else to do. So sad to see this storied franchise self destruct.

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

The guy who wrote that story is a moron.

I can't imagine being concerned that Torts is hurting Hayes' trade value.  He has none.

You know who hurt Hayes trade value?  Hayes.

You mean to tell me the guy that wasn't wanted by the team that drafted him, or the team that traded a 1st rounder for 20 games and saw that was enough, isn't valued?

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Dude is a fat, floating stiff with zero leadership abilities.

He is not admired around the league - he's a joke around the league.

Admired isn't the proper word....the rest of the league loves playing AGAINST him. You get an odd man rush everytime you go up the ice, he's so EFFing slow!

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I am questioning my loyalty to this franchise. The respect I had as a child and younger adult is disintegrating. I set up these game threads out of respect for this gang, but wonder why? That is isn't a comment on the board. It's a comment on my disgust with this franchise and the lack of progress since fleeing Philly.com 11 years ago!

you are a good poster and member here… but you are not wrong with your thoughts and feelings….many of us feel the same.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1