Game 56: Philadelphia Flyers at Seattle Kraken; 2/16/23 @ 10:00 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Seattle is favored (-210).  It's interesting that statistically, there is a big difference in offense; otherwise, the teams aren't that different:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-sea/2023/02/16/2022020876.  That said, a good offense may mask defensive problems.   Note that Martin Jones has 23 wins with a sub-.900 save percentage.  Supporting cast matters.  

Meanwhile, Bellows and Ersson have been called up.  I wonder if Sandstrom has been written off as a backup, even in-game?  We have seven games before the trade deadline.    

Edited by Howie58

Flyers vs Kraken ... 10pm start ... a tough ask for Flyers' fans this season. I'll probably watch just to see if TK breaks his scoring drought and finally gets to 25. Last time he scored was 13 games ago, a HT vs. the Caps on January 11th, which I don't even remember.

What a season...as forgettable as they come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

What a season...as forgettable as they come.

Grateful:

I agree.  What's worse is that we can't expect a big improvement next year.  Without a cohort or two of good drafts and whittling away of the cap hell--next year may bring marginal improvement, not much more. 

I’m afraid you’re right the outlook is not promising for next season. Assuming it’s still Tortorella it’ll be more of the same…better at playing as a team, good goaltending etc. but very little headway towards building one of the NHL’s best. Evidently that isn’t on the agenda at Comcast/Flyers meetings. 

Because if they really are trying their best to build a Cup contender…and this is the results? Yikes. I think I’d rather believe they’re completely disinterested, provided ticket/merch sales meet the goals that is.

15 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Because if they really are trying their best to build a Cup contender…and this is the results? Yikes. I think I’d rather believe they’re completely disinterested, provided ticket/merch sales meet the goals that is.

I'm pretty sure management is trying their best to build a cup contender. But Holmgren and Fletcher have been proving for a combined 65 years they have no idea what they are doing.

RE: Sinclair/Bally, I would say it's magnified by the reality of the new TV contracts signed last year. ESPN and TNT/ have experienced serious declines in viewership. 

Their divided approach has backfired.  But truth be told, Sinclair, which used to focus on religious programming, bit off a lot more than they can chew.   This was not a good time to be taking on debt.  Bettmann bears part of the blame, but not all.  And putting TV aside, this is a sport that has a fairly narrow demographic appeal.  Less paraphernalia sales, blah, blah.  

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

ESPN and TNT/ have experienced serious declines in viewership. 

Their divided approach has backfired.

the idea to put NHL hockey opposite of the NFL's showcase game on Sunday night was beyond stupid.

The ratings took a beating early on because network executives did one too many rails off that stripper's belly and didn't think that idea through.

No games during the weekend NFL break between the conference championships and the Superbowl was also , "not great Bob".

FWIW I think each network's product has been good. The studio shows are watchable, the announcer crews are good.

The multi-platform, streaming of games makes it hard to find some teams and some games, that issue can be addressed through better marketing. 

Sinclair struggling doesn't make me sad though.

Oh as for the Flyers tonight. I'll check out the "highlights" on youtube. Can't bring. myself to stay up to watch them watch the Kraken blow past them.

Edited by radoran
content on topic
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Oh as for the Flyers tonight. I'll check out the "highlights" on youtube. Can't bring. myself to stay up to watch them watch the Kraken blow past them.

Greetings:

I am not sure about how long I'll stay up.  It's an interesting test game in terms of adjustment, being back-to-back.  But as Torts said before the last matchup, they have 30 wins for a reason.  He was referring to talent, which reflects acquisition thereof.  Yeah.  

14 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

The sliver lining is that Torts has changed the culture of this team which is going to pay dividends in 2053.

Still trying to figure out how, after ten years of #legendary leadership of "definitely a playoff team" the culture of the organization was so totally and utterly destroyed it needed to be rebuilt by an outside guy picked by a group outside the organization.

It's so weird.

🤔

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

Wait til next year, when they get all their broken toys back, and the next wave of 30 somethings with career ending core injuries are signed and traded for. Because anything can happen. But lets not blow it up, whatever you do, because that never works, especially if you want to win a cup.

• Haha 1

Did they touch the puck in the offensive zone in periods 2 and 3 ?

I don't know how anyone could watch that performance and think this team can A) make the playoffs, B) win a game in the playoffs.

Mercifully, performances like that have been outliers this season.

There are nights where the boys are outclassed by good teams. 

Getting smoked by a 2nd year expansion team in that fashion is embarrassing.

This group plays hard and competes. But that isn't enough to be legitimate contender. They need more speed, and more talent.

The schedule gets tougher, more blowouts like this are on the horizon.

Good times.