What happened to Flyers fans?

icehole

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's why I stopped watching November 2022. If people keep tuning in and going to games, what does Comcast care if they suck? Management sure doesn't, clearly. We have become the Leafs of the Ballard years...just a joke to the rest of the league, no chance of competing. The difference being they were terrible because Ballard refused to spend any money, we're terrible because of bumbling idiots making all the decisions.

I'm not positive I've seen a Flyers goal all year.  I don't think I've watched a complete period combined.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's why I stopped watching November 2022. If people keep tuning in and going to games, what does Comcast care if they suck? Management sure doesn't, clearly. We have become the Leafs of the Ballard years...just a joke to the rest of the league, no chance of competing. The difference being they were terrible because Ballard refused to spend any money, we're terrible because of bumbling idiots making all the decisions.

because it's hard to get talent, what it is you are not getting? that's why i blame hextall for this because there was ror, dougie for the taking before he got fired and he choose not to get them and he's lously draft decisions and trading away schenn has got us in this position, if he took his head out of his butt and make those decisions and not trade away schenn then there would be no hayes, ellis, deangelo, braun, risto because that type of talent isnt easy to get because of the salary cap.

even if comcast made changes, how is that going to make things easier for anyone else in fo position to get talent? they have no control over it, you have to give what they want and if they are interested in it. you have to accept the fact that hextall has screwed this team up and it's going to take time to get back, if you cant then i dont know why you are following this team then because all you are doing wasting your time on this team for nothing.

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

because it's hard to get talent, what it is you are not getting? that's why i blame hextall for this because there was ror, dougie for the taking before he got fired and he choose not to get them and he's lously draft decisions and trading away schenn has got us in this position, if he took his head out of his butt and make those decisions and not trade away schenn then there would be no hayes, ellis, deangelo, braun, risto because that type of talent isnt easy to get because of the salary cap.

even if comcast made changes, how is that going to make things easier for anyone else in fo position to get talent? they have no control over it, you have to give what they want and if they are interested in it. you have to accept the fact that hextall has screwed this team up and it's going to take time to get back, if you cant then i dont know why you are following this team then because all you are doing wasting your time on this team for nothing.

???

Hextall screwed the team up?  I don't get it, IMHO Hextall was put in a terrible position, was handcuffed for years with bad contracts, lack of picks and managed to get the team back to "square one" somehow before they let him go.   that's just me.

Not to mention, he had to go against-the-grain from Flyers "normal" order of business that got them in the bad position they were in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tucson83 said:

Schenn isn't exactly what I think of when "talent' is mentioned. He's a grinder, who goes to the dirty places to score. Good shot and plays physical, but hardly oozing talent by any means. 

Travis Konecny drafted by Hextall...

Philadelphia Flyers NHL 52 27 27 54 69 -10

Brayden Schenn 

2022-23 St. Louis Blues NHL 58 16 27 43 27

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not positive I've seen a Flyers goal all year.  I don't think I've watched a complete period combined.

Yeah I'm with you.  Haven't watched a full game since last year.  This year, maybe 5 periods total.  Just not worth my time

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

???

Hextall screwed the team up?  I don't get it, IMHO Hextall was put in a terrible position, was handcuffed for years with bad contracts, lack of picks and managed to get the team back to "square one" somehow before they let him go.   that's just me.

Not to mention, he had to go against-the-grain from Flyers "normal" order of business that got them in the bad position they were in.

This is reality. We don't like reality.

We like soup 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

This is reality. We don't like reality.

We like soup 

Seinfeld Soup GIF

5 hours ago, tucson83 said:

trading away schenn has got us in this position, if he took his head out of his butt and make those decisions and not trade away schenn …..   because that type of talent isnt easy to get because of the salary cap.

lol…. Surely you jest. I stopped reading when you labeled Schenn of having talent.  He was an underachiever when wearing O&B. Period.

As @flyercanuckstated…. He is a mucker and grinder. Not someone you build a team around. TK is better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, icehole said:

This has been bothering me for a little while now. Maybe I'm an old man. Maybe I'm the no fun police. Maybe I'm Debbie Downer. I went to the Black Friday game. The flyers were getting beat pretty bad by the pens. They scored a meaningless goal late and everyone jumped up like they just scored in OT to win the cup. One guy went to high five me but I stayed seated and just shook my head.

Last night, the flyers were getting embarrassed at home by a team worse than them. They were down 5-1 with less than 2 minutes remaining. They scored a meaningless goal to make it 5-2. I watched the replay and most of the arena was jumping up and down with their hands in the air and big smiles on their faces.

I know that people just want to have a good time and make the best of it. I went to the Preds game with my daughter a couple weeks ago. I wasn't exactly amped to be at the game, but it was her first game and I wanted to get into it as much as I could. They scored a goal and we celebrated. It was a meaningful goal though early in the game.

I don't know. It makes me wonder who is actually going to these games. I feel like ownership doesn't care, and they'll keep putting out this garbage because the fans will still cheer when they score a goal to make it 5-2 late in the game.

It makes me wonder, too. I think a large portion of it, is the corporate suits and their families and friends. They have a lot of kid/family- friendly promotions, so parents take them. A little of it is still the "I'll go no matter how bad they are" crowd, but I think that crowd is shrinking by the day. Ownership doesn't care about the on-ice product, and won't care unless they're embarrassed. Maybe the organ-eye-za-tion is PAYING THE CROWD to attend. Just kidding...NO SERIOUSLY! Not sure you or anyone else, could pay me enough, to go to a live game right now. I doubt it. The on-ice personnel are bad and boring, and the seats at the Wells Fargo Center, are uncomfortable. No thanks.

• Good Post 1

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Seinfeld Soup GIF

lol…. Surely you jest. I stopped reading when you labeled Schenn of having talent.  He was an underachiever when wearing O&B. Period.

As @flyercanuckstated…. He is a mucker and grinder. Not someone you build a team around. TK is better.

Agreed. There is zero sobriety involved in even mentioning Schenn.

13 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

???

I thought Hextall was doing a great job until he signed JVR. That made me think wtf??? and then it all fell apart. 

• Good Post 1

4 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I thought Hextall was doing a great job until he signed JVR. That made me think wtf??? and then it all fell apart. 

I agree...and I'd bet that signing was all Holmgren and the beginning of the end for Hextall. JVR is about as anti-Hextall a player as there is. Big money for someone who plays a 10 foot game...I'm sure there was some headbutting going on with that signing. 

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

"The problem" was that Giroux and Voracek simply weren't good enough to build a competitive team around.

Everything done in service of the idea that they were was doomed to failure.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@icehole

The Flyers happened to the Flyers fans.

They're inept at every turn.

There is little to look forward to and and fewer reasons to watch.

This **** show tonight vs the Devils is ****** embarrassing.

This team is actively alienating a whole generation of hockey fans.

Assholes.

The thing is I'm absolutely fine with what happened against the devils and the skid they've been on lately. This is what this entire year should have been. When they hired torts, didn't get Johnny G, signed Nick D, and made some other questionable moves, I thought it was going to be a down but interesting season, and they might have a shot at Bedard. I thought the flyers would be getting torched every night, torts would be throwing sticks on the ice, and they would be built to beat other teams up physically even when they're getting beat by talent.

Instead, torts made this team look better than what it is, they probably have the most boring tough guys I've ever seen, and their lack of talent is really starting to become apparent due to their lack of scoring.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, icehole said:

Instead, torts made this team look better than what it is, they probably have the most boring tough guys I've ever seen, and their lack of talent is really starting to become apparent due to their lack of scoring.

It's not that hard to be mediocre in the NHL.

You have to work to be bad (Arizona).

You have to work to be good.

You can muddle along in the middle for quite a long time.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 3

On 2/25/2023 at 10:11 AM, ruxpin said:

I'm glad to see some of us aren't going to watch this garbage. I'm starting to wonder if this is going to become a permanent thing for me though. I used to hate the people that would say "I'm a big hockey fan but I won't really watch until the playoffs". I might be that guy now though even if or when the team is good again.

The NHL has a problem and ratings are dropping. The flyers and other teams have been bad before, but I still watched to be entertained. I think I watched every game in 06/07 (?) when they were the worst team in franchise history. I still remember being entertained. The flyers could be down 3 or 4 goals but I'd hang in until the end to see how they'd react. I know how they'll react now though, and it's not something I have to keep watching to see.

The league is focused on speed and talent and has lost the element of animosity and physical violence. I can watch every speed and talent highlight on YouTube in less than 10 minutes the next day. There's no "in the moment" emotions that go with those plays, so there's no need to watch them live. 82 games is also way too many in this day and age. In the days of 4 network channels or 100 cable channels that never had anything good on, 82 games was fine. There's just to much out there to entertain me these days. I'm not going to watch 82 games of the same thing night in and night out.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nope i can say without doubt Fletcher has perfected the art.

Anyone around the NHL need his guidance feel free to contact Flyer management...

Well they saw what a great job of it he did in Minnesota...

• Uggh... 1

The organization needs an entire house cleaning. Start with hockey operations. The scouting staff, the general manager and assistant general manager, director of player personnel and the senior advisors all need to be fired. This is the group that has held this franchise back. I get that it's easy to blame Hextall, but look what he had to put up with. They wanted him to rebuild, but try to qualify for the playoffs. They wanted him to rebuild, but he wasn't allowed to move players that would have gathered the best return. Where I blame Hextall was his unsubscribe devotion to a coach who was out of his league and Hextall placed a locker room ready in Gord Murphy on the staff. As for drafting, Hextall was his and miss. There were good picks and bad picks. The worst thing though was that there was very little attention paid to player development. 

As for Schmuck, he's been terrible. Trades, free agent signings, drafting, it's been piss poor under his watch. He talked a big game about player development, but it's still the same as it was under Hextall. Ian Laperriere as the heart coach in Lehigh Valley? Come on. They needed an actual coach with a development background in there and that was the best hire they could come up with. The Flyers also have one of the most expensive and expansive advanced stats departments in the game, and they're practically ignored.

Schmuck just hasn't added to the mess. He's also added gasoline and other accelerants and still thinks they're 'close' to contention. And the senior advisors are right there with them. 

This is dysfunction at it's finest. EVERYONE can see how poorly constructed the team is. EVERYONE can see that a major teardown and rebuild is required. EVERYONE can see that this hockey operations group is God awful and needs to be fired. It's all about protecting the alumni at all costs now. It's insane.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2