Flyers hire Patrick Sharp

You don’t have to have played together to create a Good Old Boys club. That’s not a requirement. A GOB club is about exclusion and favoritism, undeserved promotions, self-dealing etc. all to the detriment of the parent organization, be it a sports franchise, an AV club or whatever. 

I said it’s starting to look like that’s what’s happening because it looks that way to me. The evidence for it is the lack of experience in now 3 very high-level management positions all going to friends. It may be nothing it may be something. It may work beautifully it may crash and burn. 

Frankly I’m just happy Fletcher is gone. Seriously. Whatever Jones and Briere create, or have created is already better than Fletcher.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

You don’t have to have played together to create a Good Old Boys club. That’s not a requirement. A GOB club is about exclusion and favoritism, undeserved promotions, self-dealing etc. all to the detriment of the parent organization, be it a sports franchise, an AV club or whatever. 

I said it’s starting to look like that’s what’s happening because it looks that way to me. The evidence for it is the lack of experience in now 3 very high-level management positions all going to friends. It may be nothing it may be something. It may work beautifully it may crash and burn. 

Frankly I’m just happy Fletcher is gone. Seriously. Whatever Jones and Briere create, or have created is already better than Fletcher.

thank you for clarifying and explaining your position and POV. 

Agree anything is better than Fletcher 😊

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, CoachX said:

And where did you get any evidence to indicate this applies to Sharp? As pointed out he wasn't a Flyer for very long. You yourself acknowledge he's a Blackhawk. So what exactly makes him know what it "means" to be a Flyer?

You need to be careful with that kool-aid, it can have long term effects

More than likely Sharpes buddy KJ floated him a job that will pay him serious bank and he jumped on it. After all, that's what KJ did

You're such a Debbie Downer. You just want to bitch and whine and view everything negatively so you can make snide and insulting comments and keep slamming the team you are a fan (?) of. What's the point? Does it make you feel better?

I'm just looking at new things positively until proven otherwise. People like you are just too damn negative. If it's an ex Flyer, it's all old boys club. If it's an older experienced guy he's a dinosaur. If it's a younger new guy he's inexperienced. If it's a non Flyer he doesn't know what it means to be a Flyer. If he has any sort of relationship with anyone else it's just nepotism and making bank.

Give it a rest man, all that negativity will weigh you down. Give the new guys the benefit of a doubt until they actually screw up.

The fact is, so far in this new era with new management we have ONE big move (Provorov) and it was a very good one. SO FAR, new management gets an A+     Sorry, you'll just have to live with that positivity for now.  

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Then the proof is in the results.

We've seen nothing to indicate that they have operated to the detriment of the organization*.

Hell, keep it up and I'll drop the *.

I think the ex- Flyer thing is played out. 

I always thought Sharpe brought good insight in his analyst role. 

Not just any jackass can do what the good national studio analysts do. 

The good ones are prepared to speak intelligently about all the teams. Know the game and the best ones make the viewer think they " get it now".

Sharpe was a quality, and a well prepared analyst. 

He's seen what wins hockey games and championships as a winning player and as a broadcaster. 

The opinion that Patrick Sharpe is somehow not qualified to provide counsel is just an opinion, one that eerily lacks gravitas in the same way the holders of said opinion view Sharpe. 

• Like 3

Sharp has won three Stanley Cups, and had a successful career, though I am a little concerned with his lack of experience. I think bringing in John LeClair as a hockey ops guy, will help, but the same is true there with a lack of experience. Briere has been given a lot of credit by many in the NHL hockey world, for having a ton of knowledge and savvy as our new GM, though he has never been GM. We can't say that Jones, LeClair, Sharp, Briere or any of them CAN'T do their jobs well. I don't love the fact that they continue to bring in guys with ties to the Flyers, but at least they're new..so who knows? Whereas, we all knew that Fletcher was an abject failure, from season one, of his GM tenure here. I'm willing to give them a chance, and hey, at least the Flyers didn't hire Hal Gill, as their skating coach.

Edited by FD19372
  • Good Post 1

13 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

You're such a Debbie Downer. You just want to bitch and whine and view everything negatively so you can make snide and insulting comments and keep slamming the team you are a fan (?) of. What's the point? Does it make you feel better?

I'd like you to show me where I insulted you. The point? I don't like the way this organization, which I have been a loyal fan of, conducts their business. When they stop doing dumb schit, I will stop bytching about it. Does it make me feel better? Yep. It sure does. As a fan its all I can do. When I stop, I will no longer be a fan.

13 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Give it a rest man, all that negativity will weigh you down. Give the new guys the benefit of a doubt until they actually screw up.

The fact is, so far in this new era with new management we have ONE big move (Provorov) and it was a very good one. SO FAR, new management gets an A+     Sorry, you'll just have to live with that positivity for now.  

No thanks. I won't give it a rest. And Im fine with it. I can handle the weight. Its part of my work regimen. when you have been a fan this long, and you see the same mistakes over again, the benefit of the doubt goes out the window. The Flyers haven't earned it. You're right, they made ONE move. The sample size is way too small. I seem to recall Fletcher making ONE good move, that brought Ryan Ellis in.....how'd that work out? You give them an A+, that's fine. If I was grading them, they would get an "I" - incomplete

Oh, I noticed you didnt respond to my questions about Sharpe. Nice redirection going on the attack. Its all good though, you don't need to. Its often the case of the optimist to see things as they want them to be, and not how they really are :ok:

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

13 hours ago, radoran said:

We've seen nothing to indicate that they have operated to the detriment of the organization*.

Eye of the beholder...like I said hiring 3 completely green managers for the very top of the structure is not an inspiring start, not a great look. Will it be a detriment? Of course we have to see how it plays out. Meanwhile I think fans can be forgiven for questioning the moves and wondering if it'll be a case of the blind leading the blind.

That said I am happy with the changes in management. All 3 guys have impressed me over the years in one way or another. I'm with you - wait and see and hope for the best!

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Eye of the beholder...like I said hiring 3 completely green managers for the very top of the structure is not an inspiring start, not a great look. Will it be a detriment? Of course we have to see how it plays out. Meanwhile I think fans can be forgiven for questioning the moves and wondering if it'll be a case of the blind leading the blind.

That said I am happy with the changes in management. All 3 guys have impressed me over the years in one way or another. I'm with you - wait and see and hope for the best!

Big Picture, this is change. Change that needed to be done. So for that, I'm happy. At least there is a chance this group can be better. There is at least hope. I personally don't think Im in any position to question the intelligence of a person who has risen to the ranks of management on a pro sports team. All I can do is criticize the results and pass judgement on whether they are capable of doing the job successfully. Sharp, Jones, Briere, LeClair....etc. Are all smart people. Im sure Fletcher was also. Holmgren? That guy took too many punches to the face. Anyway, I digress...... I sincerely hope the hockey intelligence of this group is capable of making this team relevant, competitive, and fun too watch. If I only watched Philly sports teams on the basis of winning championships, I'd have quit a long time ago. So I don't need a SC. I need a team to believe in.

So, here's to a new start and new beginning. I really think we all deserve it :smileyandcomputer:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

That's only where I am at this point.

But I'll wait for the Good Old Boys to turn into Good Old Boys before epoxying their boot to the accelerator.

• Like 1

Both sides of this coin are very valid, and legitimate concerns and hope fors'.

On the one hand we are hiring a bunch of non proven advisors to join an organization, that might end up being yes men. I don't see that they will - but when your green you tend to say yes due to non-experience than to rebuttal a different direction until you get your feet more grounded in the skill sets or responsibilities of your position, and there is were problems can arise, that no one said, "Hit the brakes on that move!"

On a positive note, we are bringing intelligent advisors that have seen different roads in the game of Hockey and can input their experience on how they saw improvements or ways in direction on how other operations were done. That would be the optimistic side of this and a more modern approach to collective management as a hive. Management styles sometimes turn cyclical.

We will just have to wait and see, and the concern also is, will upper management relieve the new hire of their duties when it's not working out or bump them up to Team President Advisors.

There are still 5 vacant spot for Team President Advisors that might/need to be filled soon....🫗🔥

• Like 3

I'm hoping this guy is going to get the Calder Cup in the AHL more into the spot light.

I think him winning the Cup with the Phantoms had a big role in changing his game and the way he played too bad it was before the Flyers actually got to reap the benefit.

It was pivotal in Richards and Carter's development too joined late 15 points in 14 games for Richie and Carter 23 points in 21 games and the Cup win.

So i am hoping this is the last year Lappy gets a free ride in LV.

If they going to collect this talent they need to start investing in the schooling they will be getting down in the AHL.

Winning ways need to return to the Flyers and their affiliates. It is crucial to obtaining and maintaining dominance...

...well lets get a win streak going first. #babysteps