Official: Hayes traded to Blues for 2024 6th RD

jammer2

On 6/27/2023 at 6:26 PM, flyercanuck said:

It's not a "strong" trade, cause there's barely more than nothing coming back. 

But if you want to build a winning attitude on a team, you can't have slow, lazy as f*** clowns making $7 million a year on your roster. He had to go. From the day he was signed.

A sure sign the Flyers made a bad and or mediocre trade...my Leaf fan loser friends text or call rubbing it in. Got a few calls/texts after the Hayes trade, none after the Proverov deal. They are strong accurate indicators of how the Flyers did...and yeah...got a **** ton the past 5 years...well, decade. 

People think Torts was and Hayes fractured relationship was the main driving force here, but hopefully its Danny who will not tolerate lazy play. Hopefully it becomes a thing where lazy and the Flyers never intersect again. 

• Like 4

It seems like the majority are in favor of what DB did in the first round. However, he did not make a major trade that removed Sanheim, Laughton or TK, and he did not secure anymore first round picks, this draft

Since many were advocating for that, what is your opinion of the new GM? Did he fall on his face?

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

It seems like the majority are in favor of what DB did in the first round. However, he did not make a major trade that removed Sanheim, Laughton or TK, and he did not secure anymore first round picks, this draft

Since many were advocating for that, what is your opinion of the new GM? Did he fall on his face?

Having Michkov fall into his lap at #7 wasn't anything genius by Briere...but at least he knew to take him. Fletcher wouldn't have. 

Once you get down to pick #22 it becomes more of a crapshoot. I wasn't thrilled with Bonk, but it's not a terrible pick either. Time will tell, that's all I can say. 

I'd love to get into the 2nd round a take Colt Beau Akey. Homer pick I know, but the kid was looking like an absolute stud until Brandt Clarke was sent back and took his spot. 

• Like 3

On 6/27/2023 at 8:23 PM, CoachX said:

I think @JR Ewing makes a good point in that many players were jettisoned for being "cancerous" with the return being less productive. The difference this time is it just isn't getting rid of an attitude/overpaid player in hopes that someone else deluvers. In this particular case its a real rebuild. Its been made clear that subtraction is a necessary first step. That means you have to clean the table. If a couple of dollars fall in the trash because you couldn't see them through the garbage, so be it. Now the table is clear and you can see what you are working with 

Yes...Hayes does not fit in a true rebuild. Keeping him would be straight up counter productive to the goal at hand. They *might* have got more at the trade deadline...but huge risk involved here. First sign of lazy play Hayes goes straight to the press box for long periods of time, effectively making him really tough to move with a 2nd season of benching. 

Its really about the Flyers showing the world they are a unified front. If the coach don't like you, we don't like you...and I'm ok with that. This team has to operate as a cohesive machine. Hopefully Danny does not tolerate lazy play either. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

15 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The overall lack of 1st round trades was indicative of just how strong this 1st rd was...and how deep it went. My theory is the only way to get into this 1st rd was a steep overpay to make up for what the trading team is missing out on. If this theory is correct, then Danny showed very nice restraint. You dont overpay to accomplish your goals...they have to intersect at the corner marked common sense. It very well could have been very nice restraint. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

28 minutes ago, CoachX said:

No.

He had one First round pick and a roster with some guys that didn't want to play in Philadelphia.

He got something for Hayes. ECHL depth or not, he didn't give up a player or draft capital to move on from a player that was not a part of the plan.

He removed a guy that was not going to buy into the Torts way... or the new Flyers way. Addition via subtraction.

He got a 2nd first pick in a deep draft for a player that wanted a change of scenery and had reached his Flyers ceiling. He managed to get a prospect for a bad short-term contract and helped bolster the defense.

He will trade Tony DeAngleo for a warm body/prospect?. Again, getting rid of a guy that will hamper the development of the guys in the system.

I don't see where any reasonable minded person can view the moves of DB and say he fell on his face. 

He didn't Jedi mind trick anyone and get something for nothing-. So let's not build the bronze casting yet...

The team's structure was in shambles thanks to Dave Scott and Chuck Fletcher, the new guy regardless of pedigree was going to have to hit ctl+Z a bunch of times before actually getting to build the team.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

the new guy regardless of pedigree was going to have to hit ctl+Z a bunch of times before actually getting to build the team.

I think Briere has gotten off to a better start than Hextall in terms of mess cleaning.

This team has young talent. It just added more. In a couple years they could be in a solid position to take a next FA step.

They are - weirdly for the Flyers - lacking depth at center. They can draft all the RWs that @OccamsRazor wants but the game is won down the middle and Couturier is a ? until he isn't.

I'd hold on to TK but otherwise look to move any skater over 26.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

They can draft all the RWs that @OccamsRazor wants but the game is won down the middle and Couturier is a ?

They just drafted two centers so that helps some we'll see in 3 years neither I suspect are top line centers but they will do for now while the Ghost of Sean Couturier sails the Flying Dutchman till they are ready...and he has his trustee 2nd mate Morgan Frost to help lead the way...

I think Briere has gotten off to a better start than Hextall in terms of mess cleaning

THis makes sense to me, he doesn't have the bobby-bunch breathing down his neck. I actually think DB will be autonomous in this GM role

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CoachX said:

THis makes sense to me, he doesn't have the bobby-bunch breathing down his neck. I actually think DB will be autonomous in this GM role

Hayes wasn't the Ghost of Vinny Lecavalier. Sanheim isn't MacDonald.

They're clearly going to try to make Ristolainen work into a  tradeable asset at some point.

And they haven't just lost their imported "leader" after blowing the team apart.

Briere took a sober look at the roster, not a "definitely a playoff team" look.

• Like 1

Sanheim isn't MacDonald.

I actually like the player.

There was that one time Nathan Gerbe tossed him that he'll never live down with some, but he's pretty good at the rest of hockey.

Like me and the Razor have been saying he's not a porch clearing guy and probably won't turn into one, but he (until last year) tilts the ice in the Flyers favor more frequently than he gets pinned in the defensive zone when he's on the ice. 

That's not nothing; It's just, does anyone want to be tied to the guy and his no trade clause for 8 years? .

Like I said I like the player but if there are doubts about his future as a Flyer, now is the time to pull the trigger and move on from him. 

13 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I actually like the player.

There was that one time Nathan Gerbe tossed him that he'll never live down with some, but he's pretty good at the rest of hockey.

Like me and the Razor have been saying he's not a porch clearing guy and probably won't turn into one, but he (until last year) tilts the ice in the Flyers favor more frequently than he gets pinned in the defensive zone when he's on the ice. 

That's not nothing; It's just, does anyone want to be tied to the guy and his no trade clause for 8 years? .

Like I said I like the player but if there are doubts about his future as a Flyer, now is the time to pull the trigger and move on from him. 

I feel the same. Two years ago, Sanheim was our best defenceman. Last year, pretty much everyone on the team sucked. Not sure how good of music they were expected to play while the ship was sinking and the captain (GM) is pretending its full steam ahead and everythings fine. Must have felt pretty hopeless playing there...I know how it felt being a fan. I stopped watching them for the first time since I was a kid.

Sanheim can be worth that contract. It's not ridiculous at 6.25 per. But 8 years IS ridiculous. Of course...it's Fletcher.

• Like 3

On 6/28/2023 at 1:55 PM, radoran said:

Who did they "miss" on with O'Brien?

Who's the big impact player they "should" have instead from that draft?

The answer is "no one."

In real time I wanted Kupari, K'Andre Miller, Veleno or maybe trade back or reach for Sandin.

Turns out none of it mattered.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Sanheim can be worth that contract.

Well i can't speak for Travis but having a steady partner who knows how to actually play defense would help him a lot....some big dude who is still learning which end of the stick he is still suppose to be holding as a partner may evoke more PTDS in the defensive zone than comfort and security....just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i can't speak for Travis but having a steady partner who knows how to actually play defense would help him a lot....some big dude who is still learning which end of the stick he is still suppose to be holding as a partner may evoke more PTDS in the defensive zone than comfort and security....just my 2 cents. 

I think it's a lot of peoples 2 cents OR.

I think the laughable return for Ryan Johansen....with the Preds retaining 50% of his 8 mill salary and getting back exclusive negotiating rights to Gaĺyenchuk (LMAO) tells us everything we need to know about what DB was facing when putting this deal together. Hayes as a stand alone trade is a year older than Johansson and slower speed wise. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...