Game 2: Philadelphia Flyers at Ottawa Senators; 11/14/23 @ 1 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

56 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Our offense was near the bottom.

Well the good news is the Florida Panthers are terrible.

Losing to the Jets close to being 0-2.

The better news is guess who has their 1st round pick?

Yep you guessed.

Ok Edit: So this upcoming pick from Florida is top 10 protected so we need them to finish 11th.

Flyers pick can be top 5! :smileyandcomputer:

AMAZING IS WHAT I SAY.

Edited by OccamsRazor

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Panthers pick is top 10 protects so I'll be fine with the 11th pick!!!!😃

That's correct.  In that case the Flyers will get their 1st round pick in 2025.

Ok, so I think I'm done with the Staal experiment. I love the Staal brothers careers, but stick a fork in Marc, he's done. Why is Tortsie giving him the 5th most minutes of any Flyer? Nevermind, I know, cause he sucks at coaching. There's gotta be a kid who's better. (I know...Tortsie needs his vets. Great coach for a rebuild, right?)

I guess the good thing in this is...higher pick. And we still have that lottery ace up our sleeve...Risto. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok, so I think I'm done with the Staal experiment. I love the Staal brothers careers, but stick a fork in Marc, he's done. Why is Tortsie giving him the 5th most minutes of any Flyer? Nevermind, I know, cause he sucks at coaching. There's gotta be a kid who's better. (I know...Tortsie needs his vets. Great coach for a rebuild, right?)

I guess the good thing in this is...higher pick. And we still have that lottery ace up our sleeve...Risto. 

The Inquirer article on the game said what I've been thinking for ages--now through Black Friday will bring a poop load of line experimentation.  Some will be good, some bad.  Down the  road, we begin to separate the wheat from the chaff. Now it's a nightmare that produces lousy hockey that's tough to watch. 

I also think Torts will need to move away from the PHD line as a first line.  That's a quiet way of playing not to lose.  He needs to put a "real" first line together than will score.  And I am hoping they preserve Coots at second line and test Frost as #1.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Not for nothing but the officiating would be better for a no-check beer league. Not nearly an excuse for 9 shots in 40 minutes but it makes the game even more of a drag.

This is hard to watch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Torts will need to move away from the PHD line as a first line

Well, they're not the first line; they're the fourth. So, there's that. 

I mean, they started the game, but that doesn't make them the first line. It's the least concern. 

On the other hand, I'd almost argue to play them more if it helps get a top five pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Well, they're not the first line; they're the fourth. So, there's that. 

I mean, they started the game, but that doesn't make them the first line. It's the least concern. 

On the other hand, I'd almost argue to play them more if it helps get a top five pick. 

they're the 4th line because there isn't a 5th line. BTW, 2 lamps for JVR yesterday!!

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

maybe they package him with Atkinson for ......

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Torts' post-game was curt. It's clear he was unhappy with a team that beat itself. He also said Ottawa was more skilled. That was candid.

from what I saw it wasn’t so much the skill gap but the IQ difference especially on special teams….Frost still doing his best Jake Voracek impression trying to split 3 defenders…maybe I should cut him some slack - too many Flyers’ line changes were for sh.. and guys going off on the backcheck? What the hell was that? I saw it a couple times.

And then The Most Predictable PP in the NHL - credit the Sens for good aggressive kills but the Flyers never showed any awareness that they might need to adjust to it. 

It’s going to be a long, painful year for Flyers’ fans I’m afraid.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

and guys going off on the backcheck? What the hell was that? I saw it a couple times.

That only works when you and your replacement are both on the same page. I don’t think the Flyers were reading the same book last night nevermind the same page.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

On 10/14/2023 at 1:41 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Damn...weak call on Coots! Boarding.

Torts not happy and I don't blame him.
Not like Coots drove him into the boards....Chychrun saw him about to hit, even braced himself, the collision took place a bit away from the boards, but Chychrun went forward, but was ok.
Just a momentum play.

And the Sens score on the PP....guess who with the goal? Chychrun.
Refs influenced that one. Overdoing it on the call.

This is why I'm a part-time fan now.  The game has become Charmin soft