Ryan Poehling Two-Year Extension

19 hours ago, CoachX said:

Trade him now. His value will never be higher

🙃

Hearing Ryan Poehling has a 2-year contract extension with the #LetsGoFlyers

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

Greetings:

Well, the Flyers Command Staff must have been on a contract binge.  Ryan Poehling signs for a two-year, $3.8 million deal:

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/ryan-poehling-contract-flyers-extension-20240126.html

I wonder if he is seen as younger, cheaper Scott Laughton?  They both have 5 goals this year, and are excellent penalty killers.  I also wonder if this means the brass aren't that impressed with the 3rd/4th line material down in Lehigh?  The guy skates well and shows some offensive skill.  Length and term against the backdrop of an increasing cap seem OK. 

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

Well, the Flyers Command Staff must have been on a contract binge.  Ryan Poehling signs for a two-year, $3.8 million deal:

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/ryan-poehling-contract-flyers-extension-20240126.html

I wonder if he is seen as younger, cheaper Scott Laughton?  They both have 5 goals this year, and are excellent penalty killers.  I also wonder if this means the brass aren't that impressed with the 3rd/4th line material down in Lehigh?  The guy skates well and shows some offensive skill.  Length and term against the backdrop of an increasing cap seem OK. 

Good bye Scott Laughton.

Seems like Briere is gearing up and some moves are about to go down....in the near future Danny is hope removes everyone he can that is in best interest of the team's rebuild and move forward.

But at the same time this whole forward group is under contract for next season and well it does not inspire me to watch more...sorry just keepin it real.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good bye Scott Laughton.

Seems like Briere is gearing up and some moves are about to go down....in the near future Danny is hope removes everyone he can that is in best interest of the team's rebuild and move forward.

But at the same time this whole forward group is under contract for next season and well it does not inspire me to watch more...sorry just keepin it real.

Other than Tippett, this gang doesn't have game changers, and I'm concerned that Coots is wearing out.  Poehling is an upgrade relative to the other bottom six.  You are keeping it real for sure.  

• Like 1

I remember the Habs claiming that Poehling would be their future superstar after he scored a hattie in his first NHL game. But then, yeah... the balloon deflated a bit. Nevertheless, I still think it's a good bottom-6 signing for the Flyers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hearing Ryan Poehling has a 2-year contract extension with the #LetsGoFlyers

1.9 AAV for two years...........

• Like 1

• radoran changed the title to Poehling Extension

Good deal for both sides the 2nd one this week. 

Hopefully by Year 2 he's skating with more talented line mates. With better wingers he's prob got at least twice as many points by now. Unless it turns out he's the weak link ... just going by this year playing down the roster so much it's hard (for me) to tell how good he is.

• Like 2

This is good for the team and player, it's nice when that works out.

I like his game and think he'll be a nice bottom 6 player. 

He's heavy, fast and has good skill.

• Like 1

Everytime I see him, I come away with the same impression: really good PKer, good skater. Comes up short on skill but not effort. I think a good comparable both in terms of salary and on-ice is Brett Howden.

Briere kept him at a fair contract.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Comes up short on skill but not effort. I think a good comparable both in terms of salary and on-ice is Brett Howden.

Great comparison. Got to see VGK whip the Rags at MSG last night and Howden struck me the same way as Poehling this year: under-used. I can see why with Vegas. I don't understand it so clearly with the Flyers.

Anyway... the comparison works on many levels. The one that interests me most and would value your input: is the jury still out on these two? Set aside for a moment whether it makes sense for either roster; with better wingers (and PP mins) wouldn't they both produce a ton more points?

25-year old NHL forwards generally don't surprise their coaches very often. I get that. But a few, for whatever reason(s), are still diamonds in the rough at that age. Might Poehling or Howden be one of the few?

@GratefulFlyers What I usually remind myself, when I'm excited about depth players, is that part of the reason they can look good is because the coach has them slotted properly in the batting order. When thrown into deeper waters, they usually struggle.

Thanks to PuckIQ, we can how players fare against different levels of competition. For Poehling this year:

image.png

I think that Torts is likely using him correctly.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

part of the reason they can look good is because the coach has them slotted properly in the batting order

Good point, I forgot to take that into account. Howden and Poehling aren't going against top lines...

re: the graph I admit CorsiThis CorsiThat is a blur to me but one thing I noticed - Poehling's CF%, Elite vs Middle shows a 5% difference. Doesn't seem like a lot but I don't know. As for GRITENSITY... c'mon that can't be a thing lol.

Seriously I realize advanced metrics are valuable but imho they'll never take the place of the eye test. Thanks for showing me why my eye test in this case was flawed. I'd still like to see Poehling get a long look against Top 6 forwards but maybe it's not as necessary as I thought.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Good point, I forgot to take that into account. Howden and Poehling aren't going against top lines...

re: the graph I admit CorsiThis CorsiThat is a blur to me but one thing I noticed - Poehling's CF%, Elite vs Middle shows a 5% difference. Doesn't seem like a lot but I don't know. As for GRITENSITY... c'mon that can't be a thing lol.

5% is quite a bit. "GRITENSITY" is this site's name for the bottom 1/3 of the roster. Nicer than saying "grinders", I suppose.   lol

12 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Seriously I realize advanced metrics are valuable but imho they'll never take the place of the eye test. Thanks for showing me why my eye test in this case was flawed. I'd still like to see Poehling get a long look against Top 6 forwards but maybe it's not as necessary as I thought.

I like a marriage of the eye test and the numbers, because both can tell us a lot and both can be deceiving, and both require context. Being overly reliant on any approach will leave you blind to the possibilities presented by the other. Some people will tell you that the numbers mean nothing, but that debate is over: every team has an analytics department, and has for years.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I'd still like to see Poehling get a long look against Top 6 forwards but maybe it's not as necessary as I thought.

Poehling had his shot with his draft team. He was taken two spots ahead of Morgan Frost.

Frost had injury issues which delayed his development, but he'll be off being someone else's Poehling if he doesn't step up.

I don't mind Poehling as a 3/4 but they need better in the top 6.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, radoran said:

Poehling had his shot with his draft team. He was taken two spots ahead of Morgan Frost.

Frost had injury issues which delayed his development, but he'll be off being someone else's Poehling if he doesn't step up.

I don't mind Poehling as a 3/4 but they need better in the top 6.

Right. I like Ryan Poehling, but if he's getting a lot of minutes in your top 6, you're in trouble.

• Like 2

Fair enough guys and thank you. I love the flashes of offense from Poehling, most games there’s a few, along with a good % winning draws. If he can’t be a diamond in the rough that’s okay just so he’s not a hunk of lead.

• Like 2