What's Konecny's value? contract or trade

35 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Dale has been through this process so many times its crazy! He knows EXACTLY when the light switches on for a prospect...in some cases, I'm sure within a few periods. If Barkey played for anyone else, hes drafted a few rounds later. Its his skill, but Hunter opens the door of opportunity.

A BIG thing to leap over kids and take minutes away from established Knights players during the playoffs. 

He's built an incredible program there, to the extent that a number of years ago, I added a whole rule about it. A screenshot from my text file:

image.png

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2024 at 6:13 PM, radoran said:

You're right, of course.

But then you have a player looking at $7.5M and "could get" (sake of argument) $10M and over the course of an 8 year contract that's $20M which, after all, is

TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS

Some people might have a hard time giving that up.

(Not saying TK wants/deserves/has been offered such)

Looking at it that way, makes complete sense.   I was looking at it through my eyes were 7.5 x 6 = 45m.  Invest that the 'right' way and he can make the additional 20m while he's playing those 6 years.   To you and me, 45m vs 60m is a very small difference when it is managed 'correctly'.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Looking at it that way, makes complete sense.   I was looking at it through my eyes were 7.5 x 6 = 45m.  Invest that the 'right' way and he can make the additional 20m while he's playing those 6 years.   To you and me, 45m vs 60m is a very small difference when it is managed 'correctly'.

And if you want to win it all sometimes you have to take a smaller piece of the pie so your teammates can get a slice too

This is what Tom Brady did for many years he was never trying to be the highest paid because he was banking on endorsement and other investments and leaving so so they could build a team around him.

Some players just DGAF about that some just want all the money.

And that is fine to they can live life however they want.

But Jalen Hurts did that to he took a little less money signing when he did ans he didn't have to he could have wait but he didn't he left some money on the table for his teammates too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

To you and me, 45m vs 60m is a very small difference when it is managed 'correctly'.

He doesn't walk away with all that.

First taxes. Then management and agent.

He's not hurting but he's not free and clear with full value.

A question is was the $20M worth not getting a Cup? 🤔

43 minutes ago, radoran said:

He doesn't walk away with all that.

First taxes. Then management and agent.

He's not hurting but he's not free and clear with full value.

A question is was the $20M worth not getting a Cup? 🤔

Thats why Florida has such a huge advantage...no State tax. Seems like a throw in kinda thing, but when you start talking 10 or 15% of multi millions, its a huge advantage...not to mention the weather and women...lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Some players just DGAF about that some just want all the money.

Every player should try to get every cent they can.  The owners certainly are.

I mean the owners are the ones that insisted on a salary cap.  We lost a season before the players accepted it.

Now you want those same players to also cut the owners a deal and not take what they can get.

Hell of world we are living in.

51 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Thats why Florida has such a huge advantage...no State tax. Seems like a throw in kinda thing, but when you start talking 10 or 15% of multi millions, its a huge advantage...not to mention the weather and women...lol. 

The cost of living - especially for a luxury lifestyle - does start to offset a bit... Not that it doesn't remain an advantage, even moreso over Canadian franchises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Every player should try to get every cent they can.  The owners certainly are.

To a certain extent till you've at least won one you got to be all in on that then yes i am good with my players getting paid.

I'm not worried about the owner it is all business most times with them and it's like that with any sports where they treat it like a money maker it is we're addicted.

Here we are sadly talking about losers....cheers

20 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Konecny.

Listen, the man can play. He leads the Flyers in goals and points, last year he missed 22 games and led them in goals and points anyway. Has a snarl, not big but can play big. He has likely peaked as a point a game top line power forward but at 26 he may still have a bit of upside.

What is there not to like? IMHO guys like that are cornerstone players, you have to have them to build around. So if he signs for 8x7.5 with the cap going up you simply do it and plug him in. He is important to the future of the Flyers you simply have to keep him. Signing him as a reward as he has gotten better and better sends a message to the kids . 

Thanks @yave1964 

This post is better than I would have said it.  

Maybe the centerman the organization needs can be acquired by trading a young defenseman or something.

TK is unique, I love his F-all attitude. To me he is a born Flyer. I'd hate to see him wearing another team's colors. 

Especially if he's to be traded for an unknown or unproven quantity. 

I don't think his situation is equivalent to the Flyers doubling down on Giroux and Voracek after G's 103pt season. 
It would be selling high and a trade could possibly bring back a quality center... but if it were my team I'd want #11 around to remind younglings of the effort and passion required to play for Philly.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think his situation is equivalent to the Flyers doubling down on Giroux and Voracek after G's 103pt season

That season was the fourth of Giroux's eight year deal. Voracek was in his second year of his eight year pact.

Holmgren doubled down on them when he "won the trades" and nothing was going to stop him from showing the world just how right he was.

And he sure did.

I don't expect they put the A on TK to make him a more attractive trade value or "convince him to stay" a la Jason Smith.

I expect something in the 8s for both term and length. We can debate the particulars when they happen.

🤪

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

I expect something in the 8s for both term and length

An $8mil AAV would make him the highest paid player in the O&B, which seems fitting. And I guess that’s probably what the offers would look like if he ever hit the market. Provided the salary cap continues to increase over the term, paying TK $8mil will be a reasonable percentage of the team’s cap.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Thanks @yave1964 

This post is better than I would have said it.  

Maybe the centerman the organization needs can be acquired by trading a young defenseman or something.

TK is unique, I love his F-all attitude. To me he is a born Flyer. I'd hate to see him wearing another team's colors. 

Especially if he's to be traded for an unknown or unproven quantity. 

I don't think his situation is equivalent to the Flyers doubling down on Giroux and Voracek after G's 103pt season. 
It would be selling high and a trade could possibly bring back a quality center... but if it were my team I'd want #11 around to remind younglings of the effort and passion required to play for Philly.

TK reminds me of Debrincat, small but does not play like it and a point a game winger.

Konecny has gotten better a point. Game with elevated defensive metrics with no true center and nobody running the back end to push the play. Torts loves him, and still may have more tools in his toolbox to build on. Yzerman played hardball with Debrincat on term which I get because it is a business as well as a sport, if you can sign him for six years great, frankly that is ideal but if he balks you just do what needs done. Or trade him to Detroit, we would love to have him 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

with no true center

Last night Frost centered TK and the results were not encouraging. To be fair the whole team was sloppy (esp early) but games like last night make it hard to envision Frost as a top 6 center.

To your point, TK is just under pt/g again this year, mostly with Couturier. Couturier is having a fine year considering all the time he missed but Tortorella moved him down to 2C, I guess because Couturier's limits (in a word, skating) are holding Konecny back somewhat. Konecny needs a center who can outpace him or at least keep up with him.

Konecny turns 27 next month and hasn't yet reached his ceiling. With a "true center" TK could really light it up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Konecny turns 27 next month and hasn't yet reached his ceiling. With a "true center" TK could really light it

I’d kind of like to see him play like this for more than one season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

An $8mil AAV would make him the highest paid player in the O&B

I like TK a lot...i could live with him getting only because i like his game.

But can we do 8x6? If so i will sign off on it with why not.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Last night Frost centered TK and the results were not encouraging.

Well he needs to be given every chance to play with the top wingers.

At Coots age i am good pushing him down the lineup may help keep him fresher.

Eventually push to 3rd line shutdown duty.

Edited by OccamsRazor

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

An $8mil AAV would make him the highest paid player in the O&B, which seems fitting. And I guess that’s probably what the offers would look like if he ever hit the market. Provided the salary cap continues to increase over the term, paying TK $8mil will be a reasonable percentage of the team’s cap.

It's pretty much actual value for him.

I think when you're getting down to $1M a year or less is where "roster friendly" deals are found.

This also sets the culture that Michkov could* be entering.

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

See: last season 🤪

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's pretty much actual value for him.

I think when you're getting down to $1M a year or less is where "roster friendly" deals are found.

This also sets the culture that Michkov could* be entering.

See: last season 🤪

Can we do 6x8?

I'm good with that.

7 hours ago, radoran said:

That season was the fourth of Giroux's eight year deal. Voracek was in his second year of his eight year pact

I know, that would have been the time to sell high on G though. 

Instead they continued to (not ) build around them VeeGees.

A GM could have broken up the band and maxed out the return. Built around Couturier, Provorov and Konecny with the high picks and prospects G and V could have fetched. 

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

He's done it 3 times, so far counting his breakout year pre COVID. 

I think the 'VID messed a lot of guys up add to that becoming a new dad. That also ****s guys up, remember not sleeping for a year and a half? 

Good times.

9 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

the high picks and prospects G and V could have fetched. 

Well, they both had movement clauses...

"A GM" could have. There was no way Holmgren was going to do that. Never.

Hall of Fame.

:hocky:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1