Knuble is Back

hf101

its all good. I like Mike as a person, leader and a player. I just think it is a Leclair-esque signing. Both players have the same attributes (ie. good person, leader and player). But both are similar in their time being up. Neither are a recchi / chelios type of player.

The money is fine and even if waived, will not have an adverse impact on our cap. What will matter is that if he is waived and goes plays for the Phantoms, he takes up a contract spot. I will be rooting for him to succeed because I always liked him and thought he was an upstanding guy. On the business / team side of things, I just do not get it. I would have just of signed Jagr again (still a bitter taste in my mouth after that).

On the a bit over-analytical part, just expressing my POV. Nothing more, nothing less. It is a discussion board after all.

Cheers

I also am pissed big time about Jagr....btw he hurt his groin again last night....

and u r rght it is a disscussion board after all.....cheers 2u

At first I was pumped to hear this as I always loved Knuble when he was with us.....but then I realized he was playing in the AHL this year for the Red Wings.....sigh.

Oh well.....as someone else noted. Better than Shelley!!

Welcome back Mike. Hopefully putting on the Orange and Black will kick him in the ass a little!

Knuble was stuck on a seriously apathetic Caps team so I would not use his end numbers with them as an indicator to his play. He called out the entire team for poor and nonchalant play. Regardless of the fact he was right at the time, it does not endear you to your team mates. I think he will do fine playing special team minutes( camped in front of the net on the PP) which is probably the skates he was brought into fill.

Knuble was stuck on a seriously apathetic Caps team so I would not use his end numbers with them as an indicator to his play. He called out the entire team for poor and nonchalant play. Regardless of the fact he was right at the time, it does not endear you to your team mates. I think he will do fine playing special team minutes( camped in front of the net on the PP) which is probably the skates he was brought into fill.

The main point is that there were many "better" options than Knuble that the Flyers overlooked.

• Like 1

I dunno. Arnott's a center and had 34 points last year. Sykora had 44 points last year, so either will cost you more than Knuble did. You're signing a stopgap, not looking for an answer at forward. Knuble keeps you under the cap without dipping into LTIR exemptions. Plus, any of the 3 would be over 35 contracts, so they count against the cap whether they continue to play with the big club once guys get healthy or not. It's a low risk move that helps keep your options open down the road. Is it an exciting pickup? No, but neither does it hurt the team in any way. Worst case is he replaces Shelley on the 4th line. And even there, you're improving the team.

• Like 4

I have some of the same worries as others, mainly can he still skate. But what I like about it is that Knuble will help keep people in the room honest. He's a work hard, team-first kind of guy and will help snub out any complacency or laziness that creeps into the team.

So, I'm ok with it. It's basically a tryout anyway. If he can't play, they will waive him, no harm no foul.

It's not like they gave him a 2 year deal at 1.5 a year or anything. Any "better" option for the price would be argueable. People are making it sound like we gave up a 2nd rounder. I think it was a knee jerk reaction especially with how they played last night but it is not the end of the world.

I dunno. Arnott's a center and had 34 points last year. Sykora had 44 points last year, so either will cost you more than Knuble did. You're signing a stopgap, not looking for an answer at forward. Knuble keeps you under the cap without dipping into LTIR exemptions. Plus, any of the 3 would be over 35 contracts, so they count against the cap whether they continue to play with the big club once guys get healthy or not. It's a low risk move that helps keep your options open down the road. Is it an exciting pickup? No, but neither does it hurt the team in any way. Worst case is he replaces Shelley on the 4th line. And even there, you're improving the team.

So, you're saying both Arnott and\or Sykora would be a better choice? I agree.

He would replace Shelley in the press box once Briere and Schenn are back. He was signed to replace Knuble.

I don't care about "dipping into the LTIR exemptions." The exemption exists to be used. What is the point of "saving" it?

Again, both players may have declined offers from the Flyers. We don't know that.

What we do know is that there were better options than Knuble and the resources to sign them.

While Mike isn't exactly a young pup, he's at least a winger by trade. I am tired of playing centers at wing...so I would not be in favor of Arnott. Simply based on my personal preference. I am guessing he's going to play 3-4th line minutes, and the PP. Assuming he passes a physical.

Sykora is an interesting possiblity, but I'm not sure what he would cost. I''m not sure who else plays wing that is available. Anybody?

I don't care about "dipping into the LTIR exemptions." The exemption exists to be used. What is the point of "saving" it?

Defensive help?

Not meaning to be snarky, but the Flyers are full up on forwards when they get healthy. As you said, Knuble will be in the press box when Hartnell returns. So will Arnott or Sykora. While the offense hasn't been on fire, we all seem to agree that the defense is in need of help, and with Meszaros injured, it becomes even more of an issue. So why spend more than you have to on a purely stopgap measure, when you can use that money to address something that needs it long term?

Edited by AJgoal

"Knuble cleared his medicals Friday morning, shortly before inking a 1-year deal that will pay him a pro-rated salary of $750,000. He will wear jersey No. 9 instead of his familiar No. 22, which defenseman Luke Schenn now sports." philly.com

If I were Schenn I'd have given Mike #22....

Did anyone see the interview piece (it was taped) with some Panthers players on what they did during the lockout? Lil' Scottie's reply was bascially: I hung out at my place in Newport Beach, surfed, played lots of golf, shagged some babes, smoked a few bowls with my bro Loops. You know - got ready for the end of the lockout.

Did anyone see the interview piece (it was taped) with some Panthers players on what they did during the lockout? Lil' Scottie's reply was bascially: I hung out at my place in Newport Beach, surfed, played lots of golf, shagged some babes, smoked a few bowls with my bro Loops. You know - got ready for the end of the lockout.

sounds like a party with Carter and Richards too!! And people want to know why Homer traded these guys.......if I'm Panther management...i'd be ticked.

I saw that. "All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buz and I'm fine."

• Like 1

sounds like a party with Carter and Richards too!! And people want to know why Homer traded these guys.......if I'm Panther management...i'd be ticked.

I couldn't believe my ears. How does a guy say that he basically did sweet eff all during the lockout? It's embarrassing.