Richie and Carts deals

ctid

I think we can all agree on the return for both those guys were extremely good and we are all happy.

However, I do not understand for the life of me why Homer did'nt get a D-man back in any of those deals. Home could have easily gotten J.Johnson + simmonds/Schenn outta the Kings for example.

I really like Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, and Couts (if he just learned how to skate). But I'd prefer if we'd gotten a D-man back in one of the deals.

Actually, check that....just thinking how stupid this post is, or rather how stupid Homer is, he could have just drafted Hamilton instead of Couts...oh god, we are going to be talking about Hamilton for the next 15 years!

Actually, check that....just thinking how stupid this post is, or rather how stupid Homer is, he could have just drafted Hamilton instead of Couts...oh god, we are going to be talking about Hamilton for the next 15 years!

what makes you thing that Homer is stupid for drafting Couts? Because he sucks this season playin on the 4 line? How would you feel if Homer drafted Hamilton and then Couts played like monster agains Malkin for some other team in his first playoff year, aged only 19? To me Couts has proven that he will be a very good player.

How you can come with such a conclusion and your only argument is that Hamilton plays D? Realy what makes Hamilton better than Couts so far?

I think we can all agree on the return for both those guys were extremely good and we are all happy.

However, I do not understand for the life of me why Homer did'nt get a D-man back in any of those deals. Home could have easily gotten J.Johnson + simmonds/Schenn outta the Kings for example.

I really like Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, and Couts (if he just learned how to skate). But I'd prefer if we'd gotten a D-man back in one of the deals.

For life of me I can't believe he didn't get Bernier in the Richards deal. I still shake my head at that.

@krasy

Listen, I'm just venting cause of our D problems. I like Couts and believe he will become a very good player and have no problem with him on the 4th line. I actually think for a guy with his skill set, he was rushed this season by playing him on the 2nd/3rd line. He should have stayed on the 4th line without raising expectations and let him develop slowly...and then bring him along.

At the time of the draft I was happy with either couts/Hamilton, but favoured hamilton. Now, as much as i like couts, I am 100% sure that it was a mistake passing up Hamilton. With all our needs on D and considering how hard it is trading for/signing a top quality young D-man, when you have the chance to pick a guy like hamilton over a guy who has skating issues (again, I like couts, not saying he is crap) you are stupid.

I respect your opinion but I believe it was a BIG mistake not drafting Hamilton. I'm not the only one on here that feels that way.

I like Couts, but if you obviously need a defenseman and Hamilton was available why not just pick Hamilton?

I agree. While watching the draft unfold I thought to myself "this is perfect as Hamilton is falling right into our lap". That is part of the reason why I hope we miss the playoffs this year for the opportunity to draft Darnell Nurse or the Zadorov, two big, physical ndefensemen who are mean and tough to play against.

If we fail to acquire either of the top dmen in the draft I think we will end up trading Couts to acquire that defenseman.

Edited by Dynamo 47

@ctid

Still do not remember last spring-summer someone to complain about not drafting Hamilton.

Maybe after 6 or 7 years we will know was or not a mistake. But for now Couturier is the better player than Hamilton.

@krasy "But for now Couturier is the better player than Hamilton. "

With all due respect, no way is that true. For a rookie d-man, Hamilton is playing with TONS of poise, plays the top pp, top pairing with Chara. It's a nice luxury to have, breaking in a kid like Dougie with a all star like Chara, who covers up any mistakes he might make, but the mistakes are far and few between and he looks wicked good. Dougie is miles ahead of Coots in development.

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1

@jammer2

I think if you put Couturier on a great team and Hamilton on a bad one you'd be seeing two entirely different development curves. Couturier is going to be a heck of a player. So is Hamilton. Obviously we could've used the help on D a lot more than up front

To me Couts has proven that he will be a very good player.

How you can come with such a conclusion and your only argument is that Hamilton plays D? Realy what makes Hamilton better than Couts so far?

Nice post. Bad season for Coots, but a GREAT center he will be. Briere will be gone soon. That leaves us Schenn, Coots and Gee up the middle. Perhaps the best middle in the league (aside from Pitts).

For life of me I can't believe he didn't get Bernier in the Richards deal. I still shake my head at that.

Interesting thought. But what he got was / is still a steal. What is Richards doing these days??

Simmonds, Schenn and Cousins. A steal of a trade.

What is Richards doing these days??

Looking at his Stanley Cup Ring...

Simmonds, Schenn and Cousins. A steal of a trade.

Yes it was a good deal for us but you have to say if someone said to us would you trade Coots, Schenn and Cousins for a cup we would say hell yes in an instant.

That is effectively what LA did.

• Like 2

Because he already had a young promising goalie in Bob to backup and the same day they finalized the deal for Bryz. In Homer's mind at the time of the Richards' trade he had already solved the goaltending. Now in hindsight would I rather have Bernier over Bryz? Of course but at the time bringing in Bernier didn't make sense.

Looking at his Stanley Cup Ring...

Yes it was a good deal for us but you have to say if someone said to us would you trade Coots, Schenn and Cousins for a cup we would say hell yes in an instant.

That is effectively what LA did.

But it doesn't work that way. Having Richards and Carter on the team last year instead of the players we got in return wouldn't have made this team anymore of a cup contender. The issues that led to their demise were not skills that Richards and Carter would have been able to shore up.

But it doesn't work that way. Having Richards and Carter on the team last year instead of the players we got in return wouldn't have made this team anymore of a cup contender. The issues that led to their demise were not skills that Richards and Carter would have been able to shore up.

I didn't say it would have. My point was simply that LA made a trade for Richards, losing young talent in the process, and won a cup. Therefore the fanbase in LA is not too upset about the loss of the young talent.

I'll say it again: if by trading Coots, Schenn and Cousins we would lift the cup next year I would do it in a heartbeat. And I am pretty sure most fans would be on board with it too...

@ctid

Still do not remember last spring-summer someone to complain about not drafting Hamilton.

Maybe after 6 or 7 years we will know was or not a mistake. But for now Couturier is the better player than Hamilton.

I watch a ton of Bruins games, and I politely disagree with this statement. Hamilton plays like a 10 yr veteran at times. He plays in all situations. He's big, he hits, he can skate the puck when needed....

In other words, he's exactly what the Flyers are lacking on their blueline.

And to restart this ancient argument, he is candidate number ONE, as to why I hate the "draft the best player available" mentality. As I've always said, asked the Detroit Lions how it worked out drafting a WR number one, 3 out of 4 years--because they were the best player available

If you don't have a glaring need, I get the logic...NOT WHEN DOUGIE FREAKING HAMILTON is sitting there in front of you. :blink:

• Like 2

The Kings got Richards to try and win the cup. I doubt they wanted to give up a rock-solid backup at that point, just in case Quick got injured.

• Like 1

The Kings got Richards to try and win the cup. I doubt they wanted to give up a rock-solid backup at that point, just in case Quick got injured.

The organization was coming off a series where they missed the playoffs twice and then were eliminated in the first round twice. This wasn't a "we need one more piece for a Cup run" type of deal.

They were also the 8th seed that barely made the playoffs.

They made the deal to improve their team and improve their position for the playoffs. It was hardly a "LA Now Favorite To Win Cup" sort of move for them.

@radoran

While i see what you're saying, trading Schenn and Simmonds for Richards isn't a "looking toward the future" trade, it's a make the team better right now one. And ya, they barely made the playoffs. But they were a contender on paper when the season started. A LOT of people thought they underachieved in the regular season.

@radoran

While i see what you're saying, trading Schenn and Simmonds for Richards isn't a "looking toward the future" trade, it's a make the team better right now one. And ya, they barely made the playoffs. But they were a contender on paper when the season started. A LOT of people thought they underachieved in the regular season.

Flyers were a "contender on paper" too coming into this year. Maybe we'll use the same bottle to catch the lightning? :)

The Kings were certainly trying to improve their team in the short term. And, of course, everyone "tries to win the Cup."

There was a bunch of people hoping for Dougie instead of Couts.

Homer has always said that he will go after who he thinks the best talent is (not by position).

and apparently this is a solid way of thinking about the draft. every one of these players is a crap shoot to make it in the nhl. you could draft a D man in the 250th overall and he'll end up being... well Kimmo Timonen.

so... there's really no telling.. going for the best player available regardless of position seems to be a solid way to approach it.