Mason?

sekkes85

How did Mason look in the 3rd? I ended up turning the game off after the 4th goal allowed as I had too many chores to do than to get pissed off at a hockey game. I saw he didn't let any in on 9 shots but wasn't sure if any of them were real testers?

He looked alright... considering he was thrown in cold. Hard to get a true feeling of his abilities from a 20 mins segment. I'll say that it was pleasant to watch a flyers' goalie make a save without sliding out of position or losing his equipment. He looked quick and agile as well... hard not to though when his comparison is bryz. He also made a great clear of the puck during a pk... hadn't seen that in a while.

• Like 4

Not much of a sample, but one thing that stood out very casually was how he went behind the net to stop that pass around the boards by Winny's D. Wanted to say,"That reminded me of Hextall!", but I felt more like, "Hey that looked like Brodeur" on that one play.

Side note, scoring only one goal is a bad recipe for this team. It's ok to FAIL, But at LEAST FAIL TRYING, that's all we ask, at LEAST FAIL TRYING!

Our Defense sucks, that's no exuse to stop our offense.

Look how bad our defense played in the Pittsburgh series last year...but our offense kept playing.

Carry your Weight Mutther Suckkers!

Carry your Weight Mutther Suckkers!

To be fair our offense has scored 5 goals the last three games, And 3 goals the two before that, and we needed every goal in those games. This may come as a shock to some posters, but some teams don't need AT LEAST 3 goals every game to give them a shot at winning. Most games we seem to need 4... It's easy to rip the offense when they only score 1 point, but maybe the other teams goalie is actually skilled, unlike ours... Not every scoring "chance" = goal for them...

• Like 1

To be fair our offense has scored 5 goals the last three games, And 3 goals the two before that, and we needed every goal in those games. This may come as a shock to some posters, but some teams don't need AT LEAST 3 goals every game to give them a shot at winning. Most games we seem to need 4... It's easy to rip the offense when they only score 1 point, but maybe the other teams goalie is actually skilled, unlike ours... Not every scoring "chance" = goal for them...

you cant expect all the games to be 1-0 you have to score goals, whether you like it or not, problem is with this team is constant breakdowns even on the 4 game winning steak, it will came back to haunt this team and it did, if the coach doesnt correct it, no matter what goalie is on this team, it's going to be problem.

you cant expect all the games to be 1-0 you have to score goals, whether you like it or not, problem is with this team is constant breakdowns even on the 4 game winning steak, it will came back to haunt this team and it did, if the coach doesnt correct it, no matter what goalie is on this team, it's going to be problem.

Not expecting to win games 1-0, but your offense shouldn't have to score 4 goals every night. You people act like Bryz is the only goalie in the league who has to stop tough shots or that our team is the only one that has defensive breakdowns... I feel like in order to win with BRyz our defense has to hold the opposition to less than 5 shots each period. And even then Bryz still gives up goals (2 goals on 4 shots by the Canadiens in the second period of last game...)

Did you see the JEts goalie rob us of a one-on-one goal in the third period? It's possible... I know it's shocking.

• Like 2

Greetings:

I thought Mason looked steady and balanced. He squared well to the shooter and made some good passes out. Unlike Bryz, he did not make every save look like an adventure.

Howie

Exactly how I felt. At least on every save he made his momentum didn't carry him three feet out of the net like Bryz. I forgot how big he is.

Exactly how I felt. At least on every save he made his momentum didn't carry him three feet out of the net like Bryz. I forgot how big he is.

Alberta: I wonder how much more we will see of him this season. I suppose more rather than less if he is a replacement for 30.

Peace,

Howie

Even if mason sucks, I'd rather see bad goaltending at half the caphit. Plus he can handle the puck. Plays big. And has already been mentioned by fish, doesn't throw himself out of position or lose his equipment. And I'd bet my life he's not so freakin weird.

7th best in shots per game against

5th worse in GAA

2nd worst in save percentage

11th in goals for / game

10th in goals

Look folks, there's really not even any excuse for a discussion here. When you are in the top ten in shots against yet in the bottom 5 in both save percentage and goals against, it is clearly NOT the team defense. It's clear the defenseMEN as a group are not up to what we would want to see, but clearly team defense is NOT the problem. It's the goalie who is solely responsible for save percentage. And Bryz' save percentage is abysmal. 2nd WORST in the league. I could see if there was just an absurd amount of rubber coming at him but at seventh lowest shots against, that clearly is not the case.

We are in the top 3rd among goals for and goals per game (11th isn't quite there but close enough for the statement). The point is that neither are bad enough to be the excuse for not making the playoffs, especially when matched with giving up THE SEVENTH FEWEST SHOTS AGAINST. The problem is the damn goaltending. The numbers don't lie. The people trying to give Bryz cover by pointing their finger at the defense, and now the offense, need only to 1) Look at the simple math and 2) Watch a damn game.

This isn't rocket science: Bryz has been piss poor.

• Like 3

It's the goalie who is solely responsible for save percentage

Um, no. If a goalie faces ten shots from the blue line, and another goalie faces ten shots from uncovered forwards right in front of the crease, who do you think will have the better save pct?

By no means am I saying Bryz is awesome, buy him out? Fine with me. But defensive zone coverage has been abysmal, turnovers deep in the Flyers zone are the norm for this team. Save pct is most definitely not all on the crazy goalie.

• Like 3

@ruxpin - Btw, if you really believe that the stats tell the whole story you might want to read this. Granted Seravalli is kind of a boob, but this is a pretty interesting read:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130405_Mason_needs_to_rediscover_Hitch_magic.html

Save percentages for goalies when Ken Hitchcock was their coach vs. when he was not:

ANDY MOOG - Dallas (1995-97)

Under Hitchcock (2 seasons). . . .906

Everyone else (13 seasons). . . .890

ED BELFOUR - Dallas (1997-2002)

Under Hitchcock (5 seasons). . . .910

Everyone else (12 seasons). . . .905

ROMAN CECHMANEK - Flyers (2002-03)

Under Hitchcock (1 season). . . .925

Everyone else (3 seasons). . . .916

ROBERT ESCHE - Flyers (2002-07)

Under Hitchcock (4 seasons). . . .900

Everyone else (4 seasons). . . .896

PASCAL LECLAIRE - Columbus (2007-08)

Under Hitchcock (1 season) . . . .919

Everyone else (6 seasons). . . .897

STEVE MASON - Columbus (2008-2010)

Under Hitchcock (2 seasons). . . .914

Everyone else (3 seasons). . . .896

JAROSLAV HALAK - St. Louis (2011-12)

Under Hitchcock (1 season) . . . .926

Everyone else (5 seasons). . . .915

BRIAN ELLIOTT - St. Louis (2011-12)

Under Hitchcock (1 season). . . .940

Everyone else (5 seasons). . . .901

TOTAL - 8 GOALTENDERS

Under Hitchcock. . . .918

Everyone else. . . .902

ya I mean come on Rux, I agree with your overall point but let's face it Save % is partly a team stat too. Yesterday once Schenn went down suddenly nobody could remember how to defend. I give a bit of a "pass" to Lauridsen for obvious reasons but even he shouldn't be standing - literally - standing and watching his man work alone behind the net, then come around and stuff the puck past Bryzgalov. Every skater is guilty of puck-staring sometimes but the 2nd period yesterday that's all they did.

the only goal that was on Bryzgalov completely was the 4th one where he had a good look at the shooter and the puck - and did nothing. Didn't even freakin' move!

• Like 1

I didn't get a chance to see yesterday's game and forgot to tape it, sounds like I didn't miss much. I got to see an awful lot of Steve when he played in London, we are gonna see a goalie who is close to elite at handling the puck, he's like a 3rd d-man back there, a huge advantage for us.....refreshing to have that skill in the O&B, been a long, long time since we had a goalie who can hangle the puck like Mason can.....basically, the Hextall era!

• Like 1

we are gonna see a goalie who is close to elite at handling the puck, he's like a 3rd d-man back there, a huge advantage for us

Right after he'd gloved a puck on net, dropped it to his stick in one fluid motion and then WHAM the puck was gone - he rifled it right up the gut and thru the N zone - I said in the game chat "jeez I haven't seen that in awhile in Philly!" He's obviously got great puck-handling skills - just that one move...I mean it's a ballsy move when you got pressure coming following the shot - I forget if they were on PP or what - but anyway just the fact he was willing and more-than-able to pull it off - it was great to see. God only knows if he can keep his head together but he sure looked plenty comfortable yesterday.

7th best in shots per game against

5th worse in GAA

2nd worst in save percentage

11th in goals for / game

10th in goals

Look folks, there's really not even any excuse for a discussion here. When you are in the top ten in shots against yet in the bottom 5 in both save percentage and goals against, it is clearly NOT the team defense. It's clear the defenseMEN as a group are not up to what we would want to see, but clearly team defense is NOT the problem. It's the goalie who is solely responsible for save percentage. And Bryz' save percentage is abysmal. 2nd WORST in the league. I could see if there was just an absurd amount of rubber coming at him but at seventh lowest shots against, that clearly is not the case.

We are in the top 3rd among goals for and goals per game (11th isn't quite there but close enough for the statement). The point is that neither are bad enough to be the excuse for not making the playoffs, especially when matched with giving up THE SEVENTH FEWEST SHOTS AGAINST. The problem is the damn goaltending. The numbers don't lie. The people trying to give Bryz cover by pointing their finger at the defense, and now the offense, need only to 1) Look at the simple math and 2) Watch a damn game.

This isn't rocket science: Bryz has been piss poor.

it is the defense for god sakes, you call players standing around bryz, constant breakdowns great defense? why cant you just admit this team stinks, im tired of the finger pointing at the goalie when this team flat out sucks, this team is what it is, you cant point fingers at the goaltending, the team is bad so is the goalie, the goalie can only do so much until he breaks down, they have been bad since the season started im watching it, the team is flat out terrible.

you can bring bob, bernier, howard etc, it will not solve this team's poor effort, it's the coaching, team, and gm. if you want to believe another goalie will change this team like every other year, then you are clearly in denial. this team is bad whether you like it or not.