I Knew if Mason started last 4 games he might win 3 or 4 of them

Mario99

Flyers needing a high draft pick at this point before Canes game why start Mason, i knew he would compete hard a want to show something

I would have rested Giroux, Voracek and maybe Simmonds but not Lavvy and Homer

By the way anyone know where Marc Crawford is and if he would be a nice replacement for Lavvy

@Mario99

Do you think it is just possible that the the team wants to play well to close out the season? That it is their job, pride, and personal desire to play as best they can? Lauridsen and Manning are being evaluated at the NHL level, I'm sure they would like to stay. You have players like Gagne, Fedotenko, and Knubble trying to play well enough so that GM's will sign them as FA this summer. I'm sure the players are just as disappointed in not making the playoffs as the fans are but their defense has been muck all season. Holmgren played his cards last summer in his attempt to sign Weber, it failed. The Flyers have only missed the playoffs twice in the last two decades, it's ok.

I highly doubt Lavy will be replaced this summer. Crawford is coaching in Switzerland he signed a 2yr contract in 2012.

• Like 2

hf101, how can you evaluate your players when the other team may not be playing hard

same with Phillies in spring training Howard and Dom Brown were hitting like crazy but now season starts they have not produced like they did in spring training

hf101, how can you evaluate your players when the other team may not be playing hard

same with Phillies in spring training Howard and Dom Brown were hitting like crazy but now season starts they have not produced like they did in spring training

The Hurricanes have struggled the entire season once Cam Ward went on the IR. The Canes tied up the game a couple of times yesterday that would be enough for me to show that they tried. Again it is these players jobs to play. There isn't anyone in the Flyers organization telling the players to tank the remaining games of the season.

I can't really comment on the Phillies, I generally don't watch them until June when hockey is over.

Hmmm, one hand, wicked 50 goal scorers who skate like the wind, a franchise d-man......on the other hand, professional pride, playing it out till the bitter end etc......

These meaningless wins will forever change the face of the franchise, it's sickening.

Hmmm, one hand, wicked 50 goal scorers who skate like the wind, a franchise d-man......on the other hand, professional pride, playing it out till the bitter end etc......

These meaningless wins will forever change the face of the franchise, it's sickening.

I hear what you're saying @jammer2. But you really can't ask these players to tank games. It's not right and it's counter to everything about sports and competition.

The carrot is really only exciting for management. There are ways you can have your team lose without asking the players to tank. One of them is to dress a bunch of minor leaguers to 'try them out' ;)

@brelic Exactly, you never ask the player to tank, that's just not right.....you just set it up manpower wise that a pee wee team could beat ya :)

@brelic

Do you mean by like playing 5 AHL guys on your defense? Also, if you listened to some of the brain surgeons around here, playing Mason is also "tanking". :ph34r: The luck of the draw is the only thing that will ever give the Flyers a good draft pick. I am fine with that. The last thing I ever want to see is players on the ice just going through the motions and then counting on a 18 year old kid to save them........

Edited by flyerrod
  • Like 2

@brelic

Do you mean by like playing 5 AHL guys on your defense? Also, if you listened to some of the brain surgeons around here, playing Mason is also "tanking". :ph34r: The luck of the draw is the only thing that will ever give the Flyers a good draft pick. I am fine with that. The last thing I ever want to see is players on the ice just going through the motions and then counting on a 18 year old kid to save them........

Seriously. Laudisen-Manning was your #2 pair. Gustaffson was playing top pair. The only actual defenseman projected at the start of the season to be on the ice was Schenn.

And they still beat the Bruins 5-2, with da Broonz as the #2 overall seed looking to secure the division and seed from Montreal.

I think it took this team a good half the season to realize it needed to work hard and that things just weren't going to come to them.

For that, I blame the coach and the team "leadership" like Briere and Hartnell.

The team has zero confidence in breezy on the ice. Their play shows. Management has no choice but to trade breezy or buy him out this year. The team even with nothing to gain and and ahl defense at best is playing very well with the big boys.

The team has zero confidence in breezy on the ice. Their play shows. Management has no choice but to trade breezy or buy him out this year. The team even with nothing to gain and and ahl defense at best is playing very well with the big boys.

if they had no confidence in bryz then wouldnt this team be 0-22 then? so what about the other wins they had with bryz in net? it means nothing?

i dont buy it, if mason struggles next year and another goalie comes in, they probably wont play for him.

Edited by toughfighter83

@toughfighter83

What about a .950 save percentage? What about puckhandling ability? What about rebound control? Oddman rush saves?

do you have a better answer than to use stats? i want to know why wouldnt this team be 0-22 if they didnt want to play with bryz, i want an answer not some ridicious stats.

I'm not getting on the "confidence in Bryz" merry go round again.

That said, I will ask how "confident" Bryz would be while playing behind this defense and a bunch of forwards for whom "backchecking" apparently involves balancing their checkbooks.

Players gotta play. I don't care who is on the ice with you. You do your best.

If "lack of confidence" is not an "excuse" for Bryzgalov, then it's not an excuse for the other 19 players.

do you have a better answer than to use stats? i want to know why wouldnt this team be 0-22 if they didnt want to play with bryz, i want an answer not some ridicious stats.

Yeah, @flyercanuck You and your worthless stats can go suck it. Just make #### up, it's so much more fun!

I'm not getting on the "confidence in Bryz" merry go round again.

That said, I will ask how "confident" Bryz would be while playing behind this defense and a bunch of forwards for whom "backchecking" apparently involves balancing their checkbooks.

Players gotta play. I don't care who is on the ice with you. You do your best.

If "lack of confidence" is not an "excuse" for Bryzgalov, then it's not an excuse for the other 19 players.

See? That's what I'm talking about. Attaboy!

I know I should want the team to pack it in these remaining games for the franchise changing player blah blah blah... but that sucks.

I like that they are trying to finish strong, i like that the kids from Adirondack are getting a taste of the bigs and seeing their peers and leaders playing like professionals and with passion. not having seen the phanotms but once and seeing their record and hearing the stories , i'm glad guys like Lauridsen and Manning are not experiencing the god awful lose-fest that seems to permeate that whole production in glenn falls...

we can still get a good player at 8 , we can make a move to move up in the draft if that's what's deemed necessary.

Losing sucks.

@toughfighter83. The facts are mason is a better goalie in lavys system. He is similar in cam wards ability. Breezy is a good goalie in a defensive system. His lack of mobility is very obvious.

yeah but when the overpaid defense like coburn, mez, timms, grossman comes back you think mason will be any better, i like to see if bryz can play good behind this defense, if this young defense can play better behind bryz, then the problems are the overpaid vets.

yeah but when the overpaid defense like coburn, mez, timms, grossman comes back you think mason will be any better, i like to see if bryz can play good behind this defense, if this young defense can play better behind bryz, then the problems are the overpaid vets.

Yeah, this young D that has allowed Mason to get peppered with 82 shots in his last 2 starts! I'd also be VERY interested to see how Bryz would handle that! :lol: Let's not kid ourselves that Mason has had the benefit of better D here. He clearly has not.

You don't just need to look at stats to tell that Mason is playing well right now. Just watching his lateral movement and his ability to stay square to the shooter instills so much more confidence in me as a fan, so I can only imagine what it must be like for the players on the ice.

I'm not proclaiming Mason as the answer to their goaltending issues, but in his small body of work as a Flyer, he has certainly earned a closer look.

• Like 1

Ya, you don't look at ridiculous stats to back things up. Bryz takes up $5.6 million on our cap, is ranked somewhere around 40 something in goaltending in a league with 60 goaltenders. But in whatever world you live in that makes him a great goalie, and those stupid stats are the coaches fault. They aren't 0-22 for two reasons. Bryz didn't play 22 games. And even Bryz comes up with a mediocre outing every 4 or 5 starts.

Listen Mrs. Bryzgalov, your son has made a lot of money. be proud of that. He's just not a very good NHL goalie.

• Like 1