Flyers acquire rights to Streit

so you don't think signing 35-year old players is a roadmap to success in the POs? I'm shocked because we all know how much you *loved* the Pronger deal.

dripping. indeed.

Seriously we are wishing and hoping for way too much here in Streit. His best attribute is he brings points (hard to evaluate his PO point production sincw he's only been there twice). But since when did point-production become the Flyers' biggest need?

We should be improving TEAM D, period and let the goals take care of themselves. They will. Obviously improving Team D starts with getting a goaltender back there who can actually stop NHL shooters. I like that we're rolling the dice with Mason (and ditching Bryzgalov one way or another). But puck-moving D-man is another way of saying "a D-man who doesn't really defend."

Greaaaat..... (more drips)

@flyercanuck

hey buddy ! last i knew you don't have copy right over the word yayy ! :ph34r:

I can use it too !

i think this could be a salary cap killing move i think now we have to trade Read for something either off season or at the deadline or we won't be able to resign him....

So what you're saying is his -14 ain't gonna be wanted here!!!!!????????

man, seeing that is like adding fuel to the fire! I seriously hope that a deal does not get done here. I fully expect a 4 year deal at 5.5 - 6M for this guy and he is not worth it. Makes the Carle move (or should I say non-move) look worse and worse and even more worse.

• Like 3

I'm willing to make allowances for his +/- and his PO point production because he's been with the Isles for a long time...and they've rarely been (in the past 30 years!) an offensive powerhouse or a PO threat. But the fact remains the guy is THIRTY-FIVE FREAKING YEARS OLD!!!!

What is with this club they're so afraid of failing, of missing the POs that they bring in these supposedly guaranteed "difference-makers," these aging veterans instead of young, hungry but inexperienced players... and they end up failing anyway because these older guys just can't cut it anymore. Sure they can bring you some stability or veteran leadership....Big deal. That's not enough to win championships.

If Streit was 25 or 30...hell even 32 I'd say go for it. (maybe, depending on what it takes to sign him). But at 35 to me it's a non-starter. Wasted a 4th round pick is all we did here.

[edit: full disclosure, I was for the Pronger deal and would not change my thinking today, even after how it's ended. The obvious difference is that we were getting Chris Pronger and there are precious few like him in the league at any given time. Streit at 35 is just a bad move. I hope like Rad suggested he does turn out to be our 2013/14 version of Hamhuis]

Edited by canoli

Meaningless until we see the contract. 2-3 years should be max.

If he wants a NTC, alter it to allow him to pick the 10 teams he would be willing to go to.

That's still dangerous. Every year, all he has to do is pick 10 teams that couldn't afford to add him, and we're still boned.If he wants an NTC, I'd try to set up something where he can't be assigned to the AHL without his permission (except on a rehab assignment) and could choose 5 teams he cannot be traded to, so he can at least rule out those places he really, really doesn't want to go. Honestly, that's the NTC I'd work with for everyone worthy of one, since it doesn't limit the team too badly, and it still provides them a measure of control (and a reason to sign.)

and here is what I imagine the celebration is like over at the skatezone. Instead of the cork killing the Endangered Snow Owl it hits Danny Briere :

dumber4.jpg

Homer in the orange and eddie in the powder blue of course...

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 2

@flyercanuck

oh i wasn't questioning your yay.... that sounds a little dirty... moving on ... i was making a statement ! we should be happy ? are we not entertained ? you know along those lines.

totally agree this is not the move any of us were hoping for.

Greetings:

I just don't get it. He is not that great a player. We have plenty of 1A and 2 dmen. It is the type of dealing that leads me to think that now more than ever, we need to say auf wiedersehen to Homer.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

I like this deal. I'm thinking 5.5 to 6.0 is a good fair market price. As long as its not a long term contract. Longer then four would be bad. Maybe this is an indication that they are not trading young players for yandle or buff and letting them mature. That true number 1 dman is simply not available unless we are gutting the team.

@Jmdodgesrt4

Longer than FOUR? It's Mark Streit, not Bobby Orr. He'll be 36 at the start of the season. Right now we're lucky one stupid contract is on IR and another 2 stupid contracts can be bought out without affecting our capspace. So lets bring in another? I can live with 2 years, max. After that we WILL hate it, just like Pronger, just like Briere and just like Bryz.

• Like 4

I like this deal. I'm thinking 5.5 to 6.0 is a good fair market price. As long as its not a long term contract. Longer then four would be bad. Maybe this is an indication that they are not trading young players for yandle or buff and letting them mature. That true number 1 dman is simply not available unless we are gutting the team.

dude... that contract for Streit is not good... not good at all.

Sucker has a cannon of a shot on the point but has a lot of holes defensively. That said I would love it if the Wings had him.

He has a great shot and is a nice offensive dman. I hate this move for what the contract will be but he is an average dman and nothing more. If this were going to be a 2-3 year deal I would be fine but in pure Homer fashion it will be a 4 year deal at 6M a year and we have him until he is 40. To use a FC term - Yay!

Wow..tough crowd. People hate this deal, but what would u folks rather do as an alternative to this move? Just curious on your thoughts.

Kick the tires with Rob Scuderi and Andrew Ferrence, i think one of those guys could be had for a not crippling cap number and decent term both are younger than Streit and IMO better all around players... now to be fair to Streit i haven't watched a whole lot of Islanders games the exception being this year's playoffs where i thought he looked pretty good vs the Pens.

i don't know if there is a deal out there that any of us would like, but i'd be willing to explore trade options for Shattenkirk it seems to me like we have forwards they have defense it could be mutually beneficial.

• Like 1

This is nothing more than Homer being a pre-draft and pre-FA preejaculator again. I like Streit and think he can help the Team but this is not the move the Flyers need to make. PATIENCE - for once cant we have PATIENCE!

Let me state that I am basing all this on the premise that Homer is going to dish out another stupid contract for a player past his prime. Oh yes, he will help the PP but his defense is nothing special and by the time he leaves Philly he will be 40. I just dont get these deals for >35 players that are past their prime. It is the same BS over and over...

The question to ask: Does Streit make us that better of a Team? Does it put us in contention again? Absolutely not....