Why Shop Read?

jackhole

@jackhole

because he is attractive to trade partners due to: his salary, his skill set, and the fact that he has only been in the league two seasons, giving some people the impression he has the same development potential as a 22 year old who has been in the league for two seasons.

to the extent an asset must be involved in bringing back value, he is the obvious choice.

on the flip, the flyers would be interested in moving him because: he is going to want a significant raise after next season, will in fact be unrestricted after next season; his skill set is that of a motivated 6-7 forward, which is replaceable; and he is a fully matured adult, physically, mentally and emotionally. he does not actually have the development potential of a 22 year old.

imo, boils down to being a bit overvalued in general, making him a useful trading piece, and will cease to be cheap talent after next year. I don't want to see him traded, but I wouldn't be upset if he was.

• Like 3

Just curious as to why many here are interested in trading away Read? He always works hard, scores goals, plays any position and does it for less than 1 million bucks. He's like Kapanen but cheaper. I think you need 'value' like this on a team to make the salary cap work. Unless he helps bring a true franchise player, I'm not listening to offers.......Thoughts?

Read will end up being another Patrick Sharp. I watched a lot of the worlds this year and he played a lot of minutes for Team Canada. Nothing but praise by Lindey Ruff. Great two way player. Don't understand the rush to move the guy.

• Like 1

I don't want to see him go just for the sake of moving him because he is going to get a significant raise. The guy works his butt off in whatever league/game he plays in. The Flyers have enjoyed tremendous value to date and even with a significant raise he will still be a steal for what he brings to the table. He does not look out of place on any line he plays on. It is going to have to be a BIG return if I am moving Read. That being said, I have no desire to even shop him.

• Like 2

and will cease to be cheap talent after next year

No doubt he will be paid more, but somehow I don't see him really being paid equal to his peers. Can't explain it, can't justify it, just a hunch that he will always fly, more or less, under the radar. I think his age, not being drafted, the way he made the team with really no expectation to, probably has a role in it. Look at how he was considered (or lack thereof) for the calder trophy. I think he will always be, a 'bargain.'

Just curious as to why many here are interested in trading away Read? He always works hard, scores goals, plays any position and does it for less than 1 million bucks. He's like Kapanen but cheaper. I think you need 'value' like this on a team to make the salary cap work. Unless he helps bring a true franchise player, I'm not listening to offers.......Thoughts?

I don't think anyone WANTS to trade Read but the only way to improve this team is by trading someone. Read, for the reasons you mentioned has a lot of value.

• Like 1

I think some people, including Holmgren, just want to make trades for the sake of making them. I personally like the guy for the reasons you mentioned.

They can keep him if they lose Bryz and Danny... should be able to sign him too.

Why would we trade him? He's very cap friendly and he's a good player. Who would we trade him for? Draft picks? We can't bring anyone back because of our cap issues. I say trade someone like Hartnell. He makes waaaay to much money for waaaaay too long. We've got Simmonds, Mcgynn and Schenn who are basically the same player but a lot younger...

• Like 1

He's a UFA after next season and the Flyers will need to re-sign RFAs Giroux, BSchenn and Couturier.

They will also likely be in the market for a goalie (or to re-sign Mason) and a #1 defenceman.

Read also, as has been noted, has significant value and could be useful in returning a position of need.

As with any trade scenario, it has to work for both sides.

Trading a potential UFA you feel you might have trouble signing isn't unusual at all.

The question is whether the Flyers believe they may have trouble fitting everyone under the cap.

He's a UFA after next season and the Flyers will need to re-sign RFAs Giroux, BSchenn and Couturier.

They will also likely be in the market for a goalie (or to re-sign Mason) and a #1 defenceman.

Read also, as has been noted, has significant value and could be useful in returning a position of need.

As with any trade scenario, it has to work for both sides.

Trading a potential UFA you feel you might have trouble signing isn't unusual at all.

The question is whether the Flyers believe they may have trouble fitting everyone under the cap.

I guess I just hate the fact that he is getting passed over because no one thinks he is really as good as he is. Yes he has value as a trade but to me he has more value in what he brings to the table than he has for trade value. I can't say he is going to be the next Patrick Sharp but those are some tall skates to fill........

I guess I just hate the fact that he is getting passed over because no one thinks he is really as good as he is. Yes he has value as a trade but to me he has more value in what he brings to the table than he has for trade value. I can't say he is going to be the next Patrick Sharp but those are some tall skates to fill........

His value right now is miles higher than Patrick Sharp when the Flyers irresponsibly traded him.

Sharp had ten goals over 65 games with the Flyers over three seasons.

And Sharp wasn't an upcoming UFA.

I think Read is a consistent 20/50 player who will likely demand $3.5-4.5M as a UFA.

I don't know that they can fit that under the cap with Giroux/Couturier/BSchenn.

Finally, getting a Bernier or a solid defenseman is a heluvalot better than getting Matt ######## Ellison.

• Like 2

I think his age, not being drafted, the way he made the team with really no expectation to, probably has a role in it. Look at how he was considered (or lack thereof) for the calder trophy. I think he will always be, a 'bargain.'

problem there is that we won't know until he hits unrestricted free agency and we see what kind of money he can draw. my guess is that it'll cost $3.5-$4.5mil to keep him from hitting that point. which isn't terrible for a 50 point guy, but...it's what you would normally pay for a 50 point guy. the bargain part isn't there anymore. and so the math to me is that if he has trade value beyond that of a "normal" 50 point player, the best use is to cash that in.

don't get me wrong, you need that on your team. read is a hard worker, has good skill in all areas, is flexible position-wise, he is a valuable piece of the puzzle. he just might be *more* valuable in what he can bring back for the moment.

I think I'm guilty of undervaluing Read. And maybe even of wanting to make trades for the sake of it, viz. Read for Bernier talk.

But you have to give talent to get talent (most of the time). Sometimes it works out great for both teams, sometimes for just one.

The only way you trade Read is as part of a package that gets you a blue chip back the other way. That's why I, for example, can get behind a Read + for Bernier. But I'd only say that about a handful of trades, i.e. ones that bring back young blue chip players with pedigree. Subban, players like that. Ok, bad example, I didn't like his attitude etc. But you get the drift.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

If we can get Read to agree to sign for a length of time at a below market price, we'd be fools to move him. The issue is how much he's going to cost.

Next year, Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Mason, Akeson, Bourdon, and McGinn are RFA. Read, Timonen, Meszaros, and Gervais are UFA. Whether we like it or not, we're going to have to make some tough choices as to who we can keep, and who has to go. Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier have to stay. Of the remainder, Read is the player best equipped to help us bring back value in trade, so he's the one most people propose moving. It's math, not dislike, that leads us to try and ship him out.

• Like 1

Bernier would be worth it. Dude might be a franchise goalie. Far less of a long shot than Mason. Sentiment basically is that Quick only emerged in LA because he had some more development time. Now Bernier's had that time too. He just needs the opportunity and he's not going to get it behind Quick right now no matter how good he is.

You've got to ice a well rounded team and to acquire that through trade, you have to give up something other teams would want.

Present me with Schenn, Simonds, Giroux, Voracek, Couturier and Read... I most readily give up Read.

Unless he helps bring a true franchise player, I'm not listening to offers.......Thoughts?

• Like 1

His value right now is miles higher than Patrick Sharp when the Flyers irresponsibly traded him.

Sharp had ten goals over 65 games with the Flyers over three seasons.

And Sharp wasn't an upcoming UFA.

I think Read is a consistent 20/50 player who will likely demand $3.5-4.5M as a UFA.

I don't know that they can fit that under the cap with Giroux/Couturier/BSchenn.

Finally, getting a Bernier or a solid defenseman is a heluvalot better than getting Matt ######## Ellison.

That's my thoughts, if Read can turn into Bernier or a solid defenseman then you have to trade him. From what I've read the LA Kings are ready or looking into trading Bernier so if the Flyers don't end up with him I hope to hell that New Jersey doesn't get him. If getting rid of Briere, Bryzgalov and Mesaros and the Flyers get younger then I'm all for it.

From the outside, Read seems like a humble guy who has a great work ethic and is just happy to be there. I don't see or hear much about him, but that quiet worker type makes me believe he could be the kind of guy that gives a home town discount to your team to stay there. Not a flashy kid, just sincere dedication to the team.

• Like 3

@doom88@flyercanuck I like what Mez brings to this team - when healthy. He has a good all around game. Its hard to say if this rash of injuries is over and will he revert to his old self, or has it changed his approach to the game? I would hate to see him regain his form with another team, but he could very well be 'damaged goods' at this point too. Hard to build the D around this type of uncertainty. Kind of reminds me of back when we were looking at Gagne after his big contract was up. Only time will tell, I guess.

• Like 1

the mention of gagne got me thinking. meszaros really has only had 3 problem seasons...his first season in tampa and then the last two in philly. with two essentially full healthy seasons in between. the two seasons in philly...a lower body injury that I never heard details on in 2012, then the Achilles tendon thing late in the summer, then the shoulder thing in 2013. nothing that sounds super chronic.

outside of those 3 problem seasons (30 games missed in 08-09, 20 missed in 11-12, 37 in 12-13), he played at least 81 games in all the others. he is very durable, except when he isn't. and when he isn't, he really isn't.

I dunno. still can't figure what that means, in terms of go-forward health on him. gut feeling says it will continue to be a problem, but looking at it, I don't know there is a reality to support that gut feeling.

• Like 1