Bernier might now cost us Couturier

brelic

fantasy novels

ive only read Tolkein

Song of Fire ICe ie Game of Thrones (the first 3 novels; i'll wait until its over then finish the entire series)

Wheel of time by Roibert Jordan - i read the first 10 or whatever. I loved the series through the first 6 books but then it began clear he was dragging the story out for a big payday every other year. Its' been recently finished by another author. Currently, i rereading the entire series, on the first book right now. But im reading them while I'll take a dump each day.

Im always reading new fiction/nonfiction (ie books i havent read)as my primary focus

Who's to say Couturier only had a sophomore slump and doesn't suck the rest of his days?

I'll take my chances with Coots. He thinks the game like you teach...his skating will get better...if we roll the dice i'm betting on Sean.

so why the Bernier rumors if this true??? (SMOKESCREEN to hide Homer's true intend??)

1. Josh Rimer@JoshRimerHockey 36m
  2. Was also told that Holmgren told the Bryzgalov camp that they felt they overplayed him this yr. That he shouldn't have started so many games

3. 70689_660345121_2024327_q_normal.jpg Josh Rimer@JoshRimerHockey48m
    Rich Winter, Ilya Bryzgalov's agent has been informed by Paul Holmgren that Bryzgalov will NOT be bought out after Cup Final! #flyers

Edited by pilldoc

so why the Bernier rumors if this true??? (SMOKESCREEN to hide Homer's true intend??)

1. Josh Rimer@JoshRimerHockey 36m
  2. Was also told that Holmgren told the Bryzgalov camp that they felt they overplayed him this yr. That he shouldn't have started so many games

3. 70689_660345121_2024327_q_normal.jpgJosh Rimer@JoshRimerHockey48m
    Rich Winter, Ilya Bryzgalov's agent has been informed by Paul Holmgren that Bryzgalov will NOT be bought out after Cup Final! #flyers

How did that work out for Jeff Carter?

• Like 1

From the HF Boards this morning:

"So, I talked to said friend again this morning (was at Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers last night) and was informed that it was the Flyers who held up the potential deal with the Kings as Holmgren wanted one more piece if he was going to give up Read, Coburn and the draft pick. Lombardi felt he put together a great package as the Flyers would be getting back a defenseman who is on his way to becoming a great first pairing defender, a goaltender who is about to break through and a young defenseman who will be a top four player for years. Holmgren told Lombardi that he's giving up a forward who can play in the top six, an already established top four defenseman and a fairly high draft pick in the top third of the draft and that should warrant something else. I wasn't told what the something else was, but when the talks broke down, that's when Lombardi got the Voyonov deal signed (and it was Hextall that actually negotiated the deal while the talks with the Flyers were going on). Once again, just the messenger here."

So was Voynov going to be part of the deal? I think I would have done it. Read, Coburn, and 11 for Bernier, Voynov and another defender?

the other defenseman was supposedly Forbert...If Homer walked away from this then he is idiot...I think I would have done this deal.....

• Like 2

either way, I will be a very unhappy fan if brian Elliot is in a flyers' jersey, ever.

So would I. I'd prefer Halak.

Don't understand STL's thinking on the tandem at all.

Per Tim P on twitter the Kings are NOT asking for Read or Cooter... they want Jake! No f'ing way Homer does this...

yeah. No. No. and No again. No. No.

No.

• Like 2

From the HF Boards this morning:

"So, I talked to said friend again this morning (was at Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers last night) and was informed that it was the Flyers who held up the potential deal with the Kings as Holmgren wanted one more piece if he was going to give up Read, Coburn and the draft pick. Lombardi felt he put together a great package as the Flyers would be getting back a defenseman who is on his way to becoming a great first pairing defender, a goaltender who is about to break through and a young defenseman who will be a top four player for years. Holmgren told Lombardi that he's giving up a forward who can play in the top six, an already established top four defenseman and a fairly high draft pick in the top third of the draft and that should warrant something else. I wasn't told what the something else was, but when the talks broke down, that's when Lombardi got the Voyonov deal signed (and it was Hextall that actually negotiated the deal while the talks with the Flyers were going on). Once again, just the messenger here."

So was Voynov going to be part of the deal? I think I would have done it. Read, Coburn, and 11 for Bernier, Voynov and another defender?

the other defenseman was supposedly Forbert...If Homer walked away from this then he is idiot...I think I would have done this deal.....

Why in the world would LA sign Voynov to an extension & then turn around and trade him???

Would love to know who those two d-men were that LA was supposedly offering to Philly. Sounds like BS.

If the Kings were offering Bernier & Voynov for Read, Coburn, and the Flyers 1st rounder (#11), Holmgren should have personally packed their bags, driven those players to the airport, and signed off on that deal so fast that your head would have spun. No way that deal was ever on the table or even seriously discussed.

• Like 1

If the Kings were offering Bernier & Voynov for Read, Coburn, and the Flyers 1st rounder (#11), Holmgren should have personally packed their bags, driven those players to the airport, and signed off on that deal so fast that your head would have spun. No way that deal was ever on the table or even seriously discussed.

Have to agree here... I can not imagine the Kings dangling that offer.

• Like 2

Didn't read through the whole thread, but re:Bernier, we know a few things about him, he has played 62 games in his NHL career. He has a slightly below average save % of .912 and a very respectable GGA of 2.36 in those 62 games. Of course, he played a fair portion of those 62 career games the past few seasons, when he had a world class championship defense in front of him. How does Bernier look in front of our mess of a defense? I'm not saying Bernier is not a legit prospect, cause I really like his skill set, I just think this little portion of the puzzle should be at least be discussed....would our present defense wreck any young goalie?...although Mason looked fine in his short addition.

http://kings.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8473541

One other point, Mason looked fine in front of our replacement defense, a group who was assembled only because of injury to regulars....the part that scares me, will the regulars like Mez and Coburn force out guys like Oliver....to the detriment of any goalie we potentially acquire. My real question, will Homer go with the accustomed depth chart on D or will guys have to earn their spot....cause that could dramitically effect any goalie that plays for us, and of course, the cap plays a big role in this. Unloading dead wood like Mez will be a lot harder due to the reduced cap.

• Like 2

One other point, Mason looked fine in front of our replacement defense, a group who was assembled only because of injury to regulars....the part that scares me, will the regulars like Mez and Coburn force out guys like Oliver....to the detriment of any goalie we potentially acquire. My real question, will Homer go with the accustomed depth chart on D or will guys have to earn their spot....cause that could dramitically effect any goalie that plays for us, and of course, the cap plays a big role in this. Unloading dead wood like Mez will be a lot harder due to the reduced cap.

The main question is whether the Top 6 that the Flyers identify at the start of the season actually plays a game together. Or, preferably, 82 of them.

Because that didn't happen this year.

Also, I would think it has more to do with how Lavvy decides to go with them. I don't believe Homer was calling down saying "play Gervais, dammit!" but I do see Lavvy as the guy going "I'm more comfortable with the vet than I am relying on a young guy 'emerging'"

Remember, Lavvy's job is on the line here. He's the longest-tenured Flyer coach since Shero, but I think the leash is quite short at this point.

@radoran Excellent point, Lavi's job is on the line for sure, so vet's might beat out the up and comers.....although...our defense never looked as mobile or sturdy as when the injury replacements were playing steady at the end of the year....maybe Lavi and Homer should think about that.

BTW, I have a tendancy to agree with you on the Blues potentially having the answer to our goalie problems. Either one would not cost the world, and the cap hit is right....one cavet, because I owned both of them in fantasy hockey the past few years (esp with Elliott).....when they are on, they are great....when they stink....they really stink...AND that is behind a Hitch defense first philosophy....just say'in. Not many people know that Elliott, as a part time starter 2 years ago, lead the NHL in shut outs with 10.....that might be where I'd start look'in....

@jammer2

Personally, I don't think the kings' D is all that special. Technically a championship defense, but to me that was 90% quick, 10% dcorps.

Similarly, I don't think the flyers D is as bad as all that. Last season was 50% injury, 35% bryzgalov, 15% dcorps.

I dunno. I don't see the transition as a swim then sink thing for a goalie.

• Like 1

@jammer2

Personally, I don't think the kings' D is all that special. Technically a championship defense, but to me that was 90% quick, 10% dcorps.

Similarly, I don't think the flyers D is as bad as all that. Last season was 50% injury, 35% bryzgalov, 15% dcorps.

I dunno. I don't see the transition as a swim then sink thing for a goalie.

I'd disagree. Doughty is a star no doubt, but Voynov is a just as talented (or pretty damn close). Then you have the very underrated Alex Martinez....Jake Muzzin came on at the end of the year, looks like he is a keeper....and Scuderi and Regher are the defensive stay at home types. I thought their defensive zone coverage was very good and their transition game was even better. Guess Matt Greene is in that mix as well....I really, reallly like thier defense.

@flyercanuck Yeah, when the Kings added Richards, that seemed to put them over the top on overall team defense....and allowed them to play the responible team game they always wanted to. Like many have said already, perfect scenario for Mike, let Kopitar shoulder the scoring line heat and Mike was free to play his true game...and not facing the top checkers anymore.

@jammer2, fair, but...we still aren't talking about the ducks' cup winning defence. Good, but they aren't making bad goalies look unbeatable like Anaheim did. They don't win that cup without quick, and they don't get as far as they did this year without him, either. From that, I feel comfortable protecting success for both goalies behind a different defence. A lesser defence, even.