Agent sounds desperate in making his case for Bryzgalov

Note-How did Servalli post this article 12 1/2 hours into the future?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130623_Agent_sounds_desperate_in_making_his_case_for_Bryzgalov.html

Agent sounds desperate in making his case for Bryzgalov

Frank Seravalli , Daily News Sports Columnist

Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 3:01 AM

ILYA BRYZGALOV'S agent has been on a media frenzy this week. Spreading his gospel far and wide, Ritch Winter took to the airwaves of Calgary yesterday morning to push his agenda.

I'm not buying any of it.

Winter spoke to Sportsnet 960 radio in Alberta and again reiterated that Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren told him this week he has no plans to exercise a compliance buyout on his client next week.

This time around, he included a key component of the conversation he forgot to share when he spoke with the Daily News on Tuesday:

"Paul has also been candid enough to say, 'Never say never. I don't know what I'm going to be offered at some point, so I'm not going to guarantee you anything, except that I will give you plenty of warning if I do so,' " Winter told Sportsnet radio.

That's a big caveat to leave out. He intimated to me Tuesday that Holmgren spoke in absolutes.

And that wasn't even the most interesting part of his interview, which came only days before the Flyers must decide whether to pay Bryzgalov $23 million over the next 14 years to not play for the team. Buyouts may be handed out as soon as 48 hours after the Stanley Cup finals conclude.

Winter said that Bryzgalov is "up for the challenge" to try to turn things around with the Flyers, despite his clear unhappiness with his situation at the end of the season.

"It's a very tough, tough situation, because the media, for whatever reason, tends to focus on goaltending," Winter said. "He'd rather stay in Philadelphia, he'd rather work through this, he'd rather make Philadelphia's goaltending a strength instead of a weakness.

"The easy route out is to make noise like you don't like it there, like you don't want to stay there, like you're going to run away from [Philadelphia media], who constantly attack you with no fact or basis.

"At the end of the day, he would rather look face-first into that storm and face the challenge and make the changes necessary for the goaltending to be part of the success Philadelphia has, rather than run away from it. Ilya Bryzgalov is a lot of things, but he's not afraid of a challenge."

Well, Bryzgalov has made noises that he does not like it in Philadelphia. Some Flyers said Bryzgalov bragged to teammates he might get bought out after the season.

"It's OK, guys," Bryzgalov said, according to a teammate, speaking on a condition of anonymity. "I will get bought out. I will get paid for this deal and I will get paid double to play for a new team somewhere else."

He chided the media during a news conference on the day the Flyers' cleaned out their lockers, asking for accountability and wondering, "What good have you done for this city?"

He trashed Philadelphia, saying he goes there only to "play and exercise."

"I do not really like that sort of town," Bryzgalov told Russian news website Championat on May 15. "Me and New York do not like. A big, bustling city with a grim gateways. Philadelphia is the same . . . Too many do not work, live on welfare and get food stamps for. They just do not want to work."

In that same interview, he said he saw "logic" in the policies of Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin, who ordered the execution of tens of millions of people.

"He knew what he was doing," Bryzgalov said, as translated by a Russian journalist for Yahoo Sports. "He is described as a 'bloody tyrant.' But at the time it couldn't be any other way. Yes, there were innocent people who were victims of repressions . . . But it happens."

Talk about asking for a ticket out of town.

Winter went on to say on the radio that Bryzgalov's public persona is based on "a kind of perception that does not back up with reality."

"I think he struggles at times because, when your second language is English and you're dealing with a sports media that isn't very well-schooled in Russian studies, what comes out and what comes across is unique and different," Winter said. "He is one of the most intelligent athletes I've ever met. He's an avid fan of American history and Russian studies, and he can quote verbatim things that most professors would have a hard time remembering.

"It'd be interesting to see if the major league in the world was Russian, and the majority of the best players were American or Canadian, how a guy like Tim Thomas might be interepreted in Moscow if he was trying to wax poetic about his political philosophy."

Thomas, an American, was appropriately mocked for not attending his team's Stanley Cup celebration at the White House ion 2011 because he disagreed with President Obama's views. And reporters still think he is strange for abruptly walking away from the game, leaving $3 million on the table so he could live in seclusion in Colorado.

Winter went on to question the way the Flyers handle goaltending, citing Sergei Bobrovsky's move from being "moderately successful" in Philadelphia to winning a Vezina Trophy in Columbus.

"I think you have to start asking yourself, 'What's wrong with the Philadelphia environment?' " Winter said. "There's lots of issues that we've discussed. I won't go public with the details of the discussions I've had with Paul Holmgren, but there are issues with the way they focus on goaltenders and the way they manage that position.

"It's the way they approach goaltending. The goalies always see the puck in Phoenix. In Philadelphia, goalies aren't always seeing the puck, because guys are blocking shots, they're in positions where they should probably be clearing out lanes. Those are the things that need to be looked at."

Winter said he did not force Bryzgalov to sign his 9-year, $51 million deal with the Flyers in 2011, but acknowledged that there "wasn't any other opportunity." The Flyers, one of the few teams looking for a starter at the time, outbid themselves for his services. And now they are paying the price.

"When you get only one offer on July 1, it becomes pretty attractive, right?" Winter asked.

Bryzgalov is one of the most intelligent athletes I've ever covered. Winter isn't lying, but isn't stupid, either.

With this humongous decision for the Flyers looming in days, Winter is pushing hard. He wants to make it seem as if Bryzgalov is the good guy through all of this and wants to stay. He wants to paint Holmgren as a liar. And maybe he wants his client to be freed from this circus by going public with it all.

Why else would a veteran agent, who once took a lengthy hiatus from interviews with the media because he said "there was no benefit," suddenly decide to speak?

"Him getting bought out would be the most rewarding financial opportunity he could pursue," Winter said. "He would get almost all of the money he would be

contracted to receive and he would get another deal that would considerably surpass the difference."

Instead, Winter said Philadelphia is the best opportunity for Bryzgalov.

"Because if he seizes the opportunity available to him and plays like I know he's capable, behind a solid defense that's capable of supporting him, he will have created the best legacy," Winter said. "He will not have run from a challenge. It's the best opportunity, because it's the biggest challenge."

Just as in 2011, it's the best opportunity for Bryzgalov because it's the only opportunity. No NHL team will take a flier on a mediocre, expensive goaltender with a big mouth and a bad reputation.

Winter said he did not force Bryzgalov to sign his 9-year, $51 million deal with the Flyers in 2011, but acknowledged that there "wasn't any other opportunity." The Flyers, one of the few teams looking for a starter at the time, outbid themselves for his services. And now they are paying the price.

:o :blink: :angry:

• Like 2

Ya nice to hear the agent admit that nobody else wanted this guy then

I think we all kind of figured this....and i'd been more ok with the deal may had it been say for only 5 years INSTEAD OF 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Bryz is his own problem. He's fine with his terrible play, because he still gets paid. I do believe he likes a challenge, but I think he doesn't want to hear about it when he fails. He wants to do things his own way, and that leads to being uncoachable and divisive to the team. The Flyers will not adapt their entire roster to make him look better, period. Lavy's system may not be ideal for Bryz, but he'd a pro and needs to act like it. Adapt. Make a breakaway, odd man rush, or shootout save once in a while. He doesn't have top flight talent, and only has okay numbers because his frame is so humongous big, the puck will hit him accidentally - which rebounds to the shooters' stick and then hits the twine. **** this guy, I hope he's stuck in Russia next year, and doesn't get invited to Sochi. There are better candidates like Bob, Varly, and one of many other choices. Heartless flake.

:o :blink: :angry:

Curious framing, from an agent who's client hadn't gotten to the open free agency period yet.

Homer made the deal to acquire Bryzgalov's rights to negotiate on June 7. He signed on June 23.

There was never time to legally get another offer.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the final deal was Homer's first offer.

This is why the Flyers will never win the cup bc they won't have offensive defenseman that are over the height of 6 1 and have a shot. The goalies are always blamed no matter what in Philly and not matter what if bryz is the best goalie above 6 foot he would be blamed by the fans bc he is never going to be good to the fans....

It is the same thing over and over with the Flyers and it will never change bc homer will never realize that bryz is the best and it is the fans and media that are wrong. Bryz is the greatest and it is the fans and media that ruin it so only Flyers will never win a cup bc they can't have a goalie...

Small thing with Boston and their small defenseman and they will never win bc they have no offense and the Blackhawks offense is overrated...

Winter's comments are bizarre. He talks about how Bryzgalov wants to stay etc but also about how the Flyers don't know how to handle goaltenders and block too many shots instead of clearing lanes.

Doesn't Winter get a percentage of Bryzgalov's wages? Maybe he's trying to provoke a buyout too.

Winter's comments are bizarre. He talks about how Bryzgalov wants to stay etc but also about how the Flyers don't know how to handle goaltenders and block too many shots instead of clearing lanes.

Doesn't Winter get a percentage of Bryzgalov's wages? Maybe he's trying to provoke a buyout too.

Yeah, I found that strange too. So he's offering coaching advice too? I've never heard tell about a team blocking *too many* shots.

In any case, looks like Bryz found the right agent. They're both incoherent.

• Like 3

Haha! good one C -

so it's still the same ol' tune from Bryzgalov via Winters: poor poor Ilya has been picked on by the media ("who constantly attack you with no fact or basis " he says, gotta love that quote) and poor poor Ilya faces a tremendous challenge that most athletes would run from. But Ilya The Hero wants to stay and show us all. How noble! How courageous. What a fighter, he's the kind of guy you want playing for you (even if he does believe your town is mostly loser bums on welfare).

If only he could, ya know, actually play the position of NHL goaltender. 45th one year, 48th another...

But I see what Brygalov / Winter are getting at here: if the Flyers simply re-tune the roster (actually the entire team from the coaches on down) and organize it around protecting Bryzgalov....well then Bryzgalov may just find his form again, the one he had in Phoenix. The Flyers will likely end up in the basement most years as a result, the way Phoenix was but hey, at least our #1 goalie will appear to be an NHL-level goalie again.

[edit: WhatafknJoke. This guy can't get lost fast enough...C'mon Chi 1 more win and the 48-hr countdown begins!]

Edited by canoli

so it's still the same ol' tune from Bryzgalov via Winters

So buy out Bryz and replace him with his replacement...hell we've already been in formed he's a waaaaaay better teammate and can even preform just as good if not better and younger....finished with a 910% and 5 shutouts in 34gp...38 wins the year before!

The only reasons he wouldn't want a buyout is if

a) he thinks he can one next year, thus giving him full price this year and then 13 years at 2/3 OR if he thinks he can't get Bryz onto another team for more than 2 or so million per... Which is probably a quite realistic fear at this point.

The idea that Bryz will get a decent sized contract anywhere in a year with other big names around his age being UFA or bought out is ridiculous.

@King Knut "The idea that Bryz will get a decent sized contract anywhere in a year with other big names around his age being UFA or bought out is ridiculous."

Oh I agree 100%. Why would any GM in his right mind even give him a mill, based on his fragile ego, the fact he would pout if not the starter...I see a career in the KHL coming up real soon!! Why would a NHL GM even take the chance of upsetting the locker room with this tool after seeing the whole fiasco in Philly? One could make a reasonalbe arguement that his 37th position in Save percentage could be bettered by any average back up or prospect.

I just want to say I'm glad Homer promised Winter that he wouldn't buy out Bryz, and that if he decided he had to, that he would give him plenty of notice.

Yes he just denied they were NOT interested in Roberto....

....translation he is boarding a flight to Philly as we speak!

@King Knut "The idea that Bryz will get a decent sized contract anywhere in a year with other big names around his age being UFA or bought out is ridiculous."

Oh I agree 100%. Why would any GM in his right mind even give him a mill, based on his fragile ego, the fact he would pout if not the starter...I see a career in the KHL coming up real soon!! Why would a NHL GM even take the chance of upsetting the locker room with this tool after seeing the whole fiasco in Philly? One could make a reasonalbe arguement that his 37th position in Save percentage could be bettered by any average back up or prospect.

Assuming, for the moment, all of your allegations have merit, you are absolutely correct.

Assuming, of course, that the other GM in question shares your opinion.

However, Bryz was, allegedly, well known as a complete head case who annoyed the toes off his teammates, and some idiot GM still gave him a nine year, $51 million contract with a No Movement Clause.

Granted, that idiot's boss made the NHL put in a rule that stated specifically that once bought out, players could not return to the team buying them out during the next season.

But that still only eliminates one total dolt from the ranks of NHL GMs who offer dumb deals.