Dreger reports Vinnie to Flyers

I don't have a problem with Vinnie per se, but unless there are several other shoes left to drop that somehow come together to form a sensible plan, it's hard for me to make sense of this signing since it doesn't really address any of the Flyers' key needs.

Will / can he play wing? Are 10 or 14 or Laughton on their way out? Or Hartnell somehow? I'm hoping (despite all historical data to the contrary) there's some kind of method to the madness. Time will tell...

I'm just not going to say anything about the NMC...except, "ugh."

• Like 1

So by the time this 5-year contract expires, Vinny will be 38.

Who wants to bet the Flyers will buy him out well before the contract runs its course?

I am sorry......... I want to laugh, but it's not funny.

Other than the allowed compliance buyouts-I think buyouts are a thing of the past.

He's a Flyer. For 5 years.

So which deal is worse? Vinny's cap hit at $4.7M or Kimmo at $6.5M? I think due to the length it is Vinny's deal that hurts the team more but Kimmo's certainly doesn't help us this offseason.

@murraycraven Re: Vinny on face offs....just looked it up, he had a great winning percentage of 54.4 last year, that is elite, but the year before last, he was a stinky 47.3....so which one will we get...and why the HUGE disparity between years???

I like Vince. He is going to be something like Jagr but he can skate all 80+ games. Younger guys will learn a lot from him. He big, powerful forward and I think it's good for him to move out from Tampa. I love this signing.

• Like 2

So which deal is worse? Vinny's cap hit at $4.7M or Kimmo at $6.5M? I think due to the length it is Vinny's deal that hurts the team more but Kimmo's certainly doesn't help us this offseason.

Kimmo is "only" 6 million this year. Not 6.5. All is well. LOL.

@murraycraven Re: Vinny on face offs....just looked it up, he had a great winning percentage of 54.4 last year, that is elite, but the year before last, he was a stinky 47.3....so which one will we get...and why the HUGE disparity between years???

Talbot is going to be the first to welcome him...

...bad blood...too soon?????????????

At the end of the day, we picked up a future HOFer who still has lots left in the tank. Will he still have anything left at 38? Who knows.... We saw with Briere that offensive guys who are poor defensively don't have much to give a club as older vets. When their production declines significantly, they become a liability.

Still, the contract is a reasonable cap hit. It's not a 35+ special like Streit. BUT... it's a few years too long (or, at the very least, one year too long).

It annoys me that we are again pushing our young guys out of position to make way for an older vet. And if they trade Coots or Schenn I will blow a gasket. Unless it's for a stud d-man.

I'm thinking Vinny centers the 2nd line with Schenn and Simmer.

Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek

Simmonds/Lecavalier/Schenn

Read/Coots/Talbot

Rinaldo/Laughton/McGinn

That's pretty sweet looking, IMO. Nothing says Schenn can't become an excellent winger... but it bothers me that we're *forcing* him to become one.

In 3 or 4 years, Coots and Vinny will swap spots.

• Like 3

If we were going to waste all that $$$ Id rather have a younger power winger like Horton.

Not a chance in france you get Horton for 4.5 mil a year. He is going to be closer to 6 mil. I really dont understand all the hatered on this signing. Vinny still has a lot iin the tank in my opinion, has a cup and veteran leadership to bring to the young guys, 5 years at 4.5 is not that deep,and I dont think he was going to sogn ANYWHERE without a NMC to oend his career. I like this signing. I dont love it but I do like it.

• Like 1

Jammer.. At worst he will be the 2nd best face off player on the team... Although, if they all such it is relative!

Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek

Simmonds/Lecavalier/Schenn

Read/Coots/Talbot

Rinaldo/Laughton/McGinn

That is a nice lineup...how does the cap look though????? And drop McGinn and Talbot to the fourth and insert Gagne...if there is no room i could live with that.

To be clear-I don't hate the signing-today. I think 5 years is too long. I think the FULL NMC is overkill. Vinnie has a lot left. I don't think he will have much left when he's 37 and 38. That is when I will hate this signing.

• Like 2

Not a chance in france you get Horton for 4.5 mil a year. He is going to be closer to 6 mil. I really dont understand all the hatered on this signing. Vinny still has a lot iin the tank in my opinion, has a cup and veteran leadership to bring to the young guys, 5 years at 4.5 is not that deep,and I dont think he was going to sogn ANYWHERE without a NMC to oend his career. I like this signing. I dont love it but I do like it.

Trev.. I am right with you. HORTON I is gonna be way overpaid and I am not sure he is going to produce at the level he did with the Bruins. I want no parts of him... Aside from the length and NMC I don't have problem with the signing.

I would put him with Simmonds and what ch the magic...

The stats seem to bear out what most of us know, he has indeed regressed. Forget who it was but somebody mentioned Vinnie as a HOF'er...no way, not with one cup and 874 pts in 1050 games or so....those are not HOF stats...

He had 2 big years, 108 pts and 92....one in the seventies.....and a steady decline after that.....pffffft.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=26809

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 2

Buncha Debbie downers here. Vinny is still a premier player in this league. Almost PPG with a good FO % these are both things the flyers gave struggled mightily with. At a $4.5 AAV... It's a good deal. Does it solve our more pressing issues!? Goal and D... Noooo, but this is not the end of the dealing... Obviously.

So get your nanny pants changed and be patient.

• Like 2