Great Hockey Line Names

Guest radoran

http://en.wikipedia...._line_nicknames

So while Eric Lindros failed to get into the Hall this year, it seems pretty obvious that the Legion of Doom is a line that has transcended "Flyer" fan nicknames. People across the NHL and even some outside of hockey have heard of "The Legion of Doom" with relation to hockey. (Somewhat akin is the Broad Street Bullies, but that was for the whole team).

When I was in Buffalo, I was honored to see the reuniting of the famed French Connection for the first time in ages - another line that has transcended a fanbase in notoriety. Anyone here not familiar with the Connection?

Their statue is outside Buffalo's Big Bank Building. As a hockey fan, I got chills seeing this tandem on the ice even in jerseys with no skates - and few can reasonably imagine the absolute eruption of the Buffalo fanbase (this was also Pegula's introduction as owner and, allegedly, he had no idea the Connection was in the house).

Interestingly, neither won a Cup, but I digest...

In perusing the wikipedia list above, there aren't that many that really stand out as much as those two. I certainly remember "Crazy Eights" but that was short-lived and, AFAIK, a very local phenomenon. I'm not sure about "LCB".

I recall hearing about "The Million Dollar Line" and certainly remember Detroit's "Red Army" (much more than "Russian Five").There is a certain amount of longevity that a line needs to have (the Legion was four seasons, for example, the Connection seven).

I am sure I am forgetting some, what are the great line names that "everybody" knows? What are your favorite line names?

@radoran The Kraut line never gets talked about enough. They led the way to 2 Stanley Cups...funny thing, all 3 of German decent, all 3 from Kitchener Ont. Individually Milt Schmidt does not get talked about enough....great line...one of the best in the 40's.

http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/13926/The_Kraut_Line/#.UdyViqwo0uc

The Legion of Doom AKA the Legion of Broom

The Kraut line Milt Schmidt Bauer and Woody Dumont of the 1940's Bruins

The punch line Toe Blake Elmer Lach and the Rocket

The Production line Howe Abel and Lindsay

The Grind line Mccarty Draper and Maltby

The GAG line (goal a game) Rod Gilbert Vic Hadfield and Jean Ratelle

Those were some of my favorites, along with the French connection line you mentioned

Montreal's "donut line" Steve Shutt and Guy Lafleur between either Peter Mahovlich or Lemaire, both centers got the monkier.

One of the best ever, the Triple Crown Line of Dionne, Simmer and Taylor, vitrually unstoppable in their hey day.

The Production Line was the first to come to mind. As mentioned, Howe Lindsay and Abel.

The Triple Crown in LA with Dionne, Simmer and Taylor

KLM in Russia Krutov, Larionov and Makarov

Nitro Line in Boston Espo, Hodge and Cash

@yave1964

I'm not sure how you missed the "Swedish Five" - Nicklas Lidstrom, Niklas Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg, Mikael Samuelsson, and Tomas Holmstrom

Yeah, I thought he was going for forward lines only, but that was a great one as was the Russian red army line of Vlady, Fetisov Federov Larionov and Kozlov. For pure puck possession this line may never be beaten.

The "Dan" Line.... Dan Kordic/Danny Lacrouix/Scott Daniels.......They could not score to save their own lives but they could beat the hell out of anyone else on the ice....... :D/>

LMAO, ah the memories. I totally forgot, thanks rod.

It's funny. If someone were to ask me, "Quick! Famous Flyers' line?" My answer would instantly be LCB. I can honestly say I might not come up with "Legion of Doom" without significant prompting.

It's funny. If someone were to ask me, "Quick! Famous Flyers' line?" My answer would instantly be LCB. I can honestly say I might not come up with "Legion of Doom" without significant prompting.

LCB will always be 1st in my book followed by Legion of Doom.

Crazy 8's were never together long enough.

Here is an odd one I heard a couple years ago:

"The Deuces Wild Line"— Simon Gagne, Peter Forsberg and Mike Knuble; so named because they wear the uniform numbers 12, 21, and 22 respectively.

Edited by pilldoc

how about this one! From Slapshot! :)

The Carlson Brothers"—Johnstown Jets NAHL (1970s)—Jeff Carlson, Steve Carlson, and Jack Carlson, all real-life brothers. While still active players, Jeff and Steve would join with David Hanson to portray the fictional "Hanson Brothers" in the 1977 movie Slap Shot (Jack, having been called up to the WHA, was unavailable at the time).

Puttin on the Foil!

hanson+brother+foil.jpg

PS. I have a lithograph copy of said picture above AND it is signed by all the Carlson brothers! It was pretty awesome meeting them several years ago when I used to live in Altoona and went to Johnsown for a hockey game. they filmed part of the movie at old johnstown arena. Anyway they were honoring some of the stars at the game i went to and the Carlson brother were there. Good Stuff!

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

Penguins fans know the Century Line (Aps, Pronovost, and McDonald), and recently the Firing Line (Malkin, Neal and Kunitz)... I remember the Option Line with Recchi, Stevens and Cullen, but that was short lived. I'd forgotten about the Sky Line (Lemieux, Jagr and Stevens) which amazes me. I mean I remember them playing together and thinking that has to be one of the most dominant lines from that era... but I'd forgotten the Sky Line tag.

@yave1964 took all the easy ones :-)

I like Vancouver's Mattress Line of Daniel and Henrik Sedin with Jason King (Two twins and a king)

Then of course there's "Two Kids and an Old Goat" Detroit, Brett Hull, with Pavel Datsyuk and Boyd Devereaux/Henrik Zetterberg

• 4 months later...

Another older thread **BuMP**  (Gee, I am getting good at doing that...oh well, must be the recylcer in me....  :)  )

Anyways, how about from the mid to late 90's, in New Jersey, The Crash Line?

Because that was about the time I started to really get into hockey, I couldn't remember all three members from memory...I did remember Bobby Holik and Mike Peluso, and a quick search found that Randy McKay was the other guy.

Those guys were pretty effective as a 3rd/4th line combination. 

And if those guys were out at the same time either Scott Stevens or Ken Daneyko were out with their 'D' partners, opposing players BEST have their heads on swivels!

And those three guys not only fought and checked, but they scored as well......they certainly terrorized my Lightning (and me!) at the time with their brand of hockey.

I remember seeing the NJ home scoreboard flash "CRASH LINE!", whenever those guys punched in a goal...and it seemed to happen a lot more than was comfortable for the opposition!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26