Hextall new Assistant GM

I think the heat on Homer just got turned up....

If anyone is better with cut/paste, feel free to edit this thread.

http://flyers.nhl.co...st.htm?id=19086

It was a hint that at some point, the plan was to get someone into that chair that made sense – and when the time was right.

Like today.

Holmgren announced that he was bringing back a former Flyers player and executive to take over that role, naming Ron Hextall the Assistant G.M. as well as Director of Hockey Operations.

Hextall will begin his new job with the team August 1.

“We are very pleased to welcome back Ron Hextall to our management team,” said Holmgren. “Ron has a wealth of experience in the front office in various capacities which will be a valuable addition to our staff.”

Hextall returns to the Flyers after a seven-year hiatus in California, but he brings with him a Stanley Cup-winning pedigree.

Hextall, 49, returns to the Flyers organization after spending 1999 through 2006 as part of the staff working first as a pro scout and later as the Director of Pro Hockey Personnel.

He left the Flyers after the 2005-06 season to become the Vice President and Assistant General Manager of the Los Angeles Kings, a team he helped mold into a Stanley Cup Champion in 2012.

While with the Kings, he also served as the General Manager of the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League, the Kings’ primary affiliate.

During his tenure overseeing the farm system, the Monarchs went 290-205-24-32 in seven seasons reaching the Calder Cup Playoffs in each season, including twice making the Conference Finals.

As a player, Hextall appeared in 489 regular season games during his 11-year Flyers career (1986-87 through 1991-92 and 1994-95 through 1998-99 seasons), posting a 240-172-58 record and 2.91 goals-against average. His 489 games played and 240 wins as a Flyer rank him first all-time in Flyers history. In 84 playoff games for the Flyers, Hextall registered a 45-36 record and 2.95 GAA. His 45 playoff wins are the most in Flyers history.

He became the 19th member of the team to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame on Feb. 6, 2008.

Hextall was feted five years ago because of his combination of great skill in goal as well as his colorful approach to playing the game.

As a rookie during the 1986-87 season, Hextall posted a 37-21-6 record, 2.52 GAA and one shutout in 66 regular season games. He led the NHL in games played (66), wins (37) and minutes played (3,799).

He compiled a 15-11 record, 2.77 GAA and two shutouts in 26 playoff games as the Flyers advanced to the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals.

He was named to the NHL All-Rookie Team and NHL First All-Star Team for the 1986-87 season. In addition, he won the Vezina Trophy as “the goaltender adjudged to be the best at his position” and the Conn Smythe Trophy as “the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs”.

The 1986-87 season was the first of five seasons that Hextall recorded 30 or more wins (only goaltender in Flyers history to post five 30-win seasons - 1986-87, 1987-88, 1988-89, 1995-96 and 1996-97).

On December 8, 1987, Hextall became the first NHL goalie to score a goal by shooting the puck into the opposing net as the Flyers defeated the Boston Bruins at the Spectrum, 5-2.

He repeated the feat when he became the first goalie to record a playoff goal as the Flyers defeated the Washington Capitals at the Capital Centre in Game Five of the Patrick Division Semifinals, 8-5, on April 11, 1989.

He was traded by Flyers, along with Steve Duchesne, Peter Forsberg, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, a first round pick in the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, $15 million and future considerations (Chris Simon and a first round pick in 1994 NHL Entry Draft) to the Quebec Nordiques in exchange for Eric Lindros on June 30, 1992.

After two seasons with Quebec (1992-93) and the New York Islanders (1993-94), he was traded by the Islanders, along with a sixth round pick in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft, to the Flyers in exchange for Tommy Soderstrom on September 22, 1994.

He still holds Flyers records for most penalty minutes by a goaltender in one season (113 in 1988-89) and most points by a goaltender in one season (8 in 1988-89).

Edited by hf101
added content

@DaGreatGazoo

I get your point, but doubt Homer would hire him to put pressure on himself. More of the old boys club, that's all.

Provided, of course, the decision to add Hextall was entirely Homer's decision, and not "suggested" from on high.

I wouldn't be shocked if Homer was considering stepping down at some point, or perhaps even getting promoted within the organization (though I'm not sure what layer of bureaucracy exists between Homer and Luukko to put him into anyway), and Hexy was the designated successor, but if Snider gets peeved at any point, we're going to have a new GM, come hell or high water, and he's already under contract.

Edited by dilbert719
  • Like 1

I think the heat on Homer just got turned up....

If anyone is better with cut/paste, feel free to edit this thread.

http://flyers.nhl.co...st.htm?id=19086

That was my first thought. I can't imagine why Hexy would leave LA unless he thought (or was told) he'd have a shorter path to the GM job here in Philly. Maybe Homer is thinking about retiring soon-ish?

Edited by Lucky13
  • Like 1

That was my first thought. I can't imagine why Hexy would leave LA unless he thought (or was told) he'd have a shorter path to the GM job here in Philly. Maybe Homer is thinking about retiring soon-ish?

Even if he's not, Homer's definitely on a hotter seat than Dean Lombardi. The same position here is a lot closer to the big chair than it is out in LA.

• Like 2

I agree FC... more of the "Ol' Flyers Club" but I love that Hexy is back... One of my favorite guys of all time... I do not see how this puts "Homer on the hot seat" as I am sure that Homer was critical in his hiring... I like it.

Maybe Homer feels as though he might retire in the next few years?

Edited by murraycraven

@DaGreatGazoo Aw, you do all right even when lit up a bit! Any heat on Homer is a good thing. If I'm reading into this correctly, looks like Ed is laying the blame for Bryz at the feet of homer, so this little hiring says what.....results now, or else?...and does this lead homer to make a deal tha sacrifice's the youth for results this year? Maybe I'm reading into this to much, but it worries me a bit when looking at the scenario from that angle.

@DaGreatGazoo

I get your point, but doubt Homer would hire him to put pressure on himself. More of the old boys club, that's all.

I came on here to express the same sentiment. Neil Hartman opened Philly Sports Talk with this announcement and he said something to the effect of "what a surprise, Ron Hextall blah blah blah" and first words out of my mouth were "you're surprised?" and no, he didn't sound the least bit sarcastic when making the statements.

Edited by Spinorama
  • Like 1

This is great news. It establishes a firm succession plan. And I don't think it's more of the same, because Hextall (though a bully on the ice!) isn't part of the BSB period. It's a shift that was bound to happen at some point as they mature into GM roles.

Plus, Hextall brings the experience of having seen how to build a Stanley Cup winner.

• Like 2

What? Garth Snow didn't want to leave Brooklyn? :ph34r:

I like the move. I like the potential of Hextall.

But I can't shake the feeling that this one more deck chair before leaving Southampton.

Happy to be wrong.

(Honestly, guys, it has never ever occurred to me to wonder about the future career of the Flyers' Director of Hockey Operations. Not once.)

Howdy:

I see both sides in this. It is definitely the old boys network mentality. I would have rather seen someone from outside come in. But you can't argue with success and his work in the A seems top-tier.

Homer has pressure enough without this guy. But in reality, we all know a slow start next year means Lavy's departure, not Homer's.

Best,

Howie

I met Hextall at the Winter Classic as he and his wife sat right behind us. Signed my jersey and hat. I jokingly told him he was in the wrong organization, but wished him luck with the Kings. :wacko:

This is the best move the Flyers made all summer.

• Like 1