Hal Gill invited to Flyers camp

Guest Flyers97

@OccamsRazor  Cleary is an interesting proposition. Don't see where the cap space or room on the roster would come from, but he is a vet of playoff wars who pushes back and give a team some backbone. Myself, I'd rather see Gagne, lot's more ability to finish, something the Flyers really need in the bottom six.

• Like 1

Maybe he is just insurance if one of the D-men go down with a season ending injury.   Add that to playing our vets such as Timonen, Coburn and Grossman less.  Maybe there is enough d-men so they play every other pre - season game

• Like 1

Maybe he is just insurance if one of the D-men go down with a season ending injury.   Add that to playing our vets such as Timonen, Coburn and Grossman less.  Maybe there is enough d-men so they play every other pre - season game

Depth of D that's all this move is. Plus according to Tim P, The Flyers still hope move a D man.

https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN

Mez hasn't been cleared yet and I haven't seen where GrossmanN has been cleared either. If either one of them can't start the season, then Gill could be (just as hf101 mentioned) the insurance policy.

I have gained some new respect for Gill during his time in Montreal and that, on and off the ice. A true pro, great leader and mentor, he was extremely efficient on the penalty kill. True that he's not very fast, but he has (or had) an active stick and was big and strong enough to push people around in the corners or in front of the net. Amazingly enough, he was at his best at 5 on 3 or 4 on 3.

I wish him all the best to find a team this year, whether it's in Philly or elsewhere.

Honestly, I think Homer is looking to shed some salary and Gill might me a decent low cost replacement... I think Coburn, Mez or Grossman are the short list of people that might be on the block.  I would not be shocked if Grossman were the person to go...

Wait & see.... should be interesting.

I have gained some new respect for Gill during his time in Montreal and that, on and off the ice. A true pro, great leader and mentor, he was extremely efficient on the penalty kill. True that he's not very fast, but he has (or had) an active stick and was big and strong enough to push people around in the corners or in front of the net. Amazingly enough, he was at his best at 5 on 3 or 4 on 3.

I wish him all the best to find a team this year, whether it's in Philly or elsewhere.

have to agree here. i don't know what the flyer's plans for him are, but if he's still got something left... he's been very effective boxing out the crease on the PK over his career. the flyer's haven't had that since pronger, so it's a hole. this is why i can understand the tryout as much as others really hate it. i don't think anything has been guaranteed here so it's a no lose situation. why all the negativity? 

• Like 1

First of all welcome ot Hockeyforums.com! Looking forward to hearing from another Habs fans.  I don't disagree with you in the leadership that Gill brings to a locker room.  However it is age that I have a problem with.  The last thing this Flyers team is another 35+ D-man.  That would give us 3 D-men over 35. (Timmonen / Striet  / Gill).  I totally get the fact he could be an insurance policy in case our resident China Doll (aka Mez) should get hurt again.  I would just prefer to play the young guys and let them start to mature together.

• Like 1

Greetings:

I think the most important thing in this discussion is that Mezsnaros isn't cleared.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/07/hal-gill-invited-to-flyers-camp/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

I predicted this a long time ago here...I really think his playing days may be over. Maybe they want a big body. Or maybe Mez's absence plus a trade puts a premium on a big body who could come cheap and get waived later.

Again...it's the Mez part that scares me. I liked the guy and we saw what he could do when healthy. This D is truly a question mark.

Peace from Florida.

Howie

First of all welcome ot Hockeyforums.com! Looking forward to hearing from another Habs fans.  I don't disagree with you in the leadership that Gill brings to a locker room.  However it is age that I have a problem with.  The last thing this Flyers team is another 35+ D-man.  That would give us 3 D-men over 35. (Timmonen / Striet  / Gill).  I totally get the fact he could be an insurance policy in case our resident China Doll (aka Mez) should get hurt again.  I would just prefer to play the young guys and let them start to mature together.

Thanks for the welcome but be careful with the lapsus.  It's .net and not .com. :D

I was a long time moderator at the .com site for many years. If you were there, you would recognize me more as "JL". This site (like most now days) won't accept two-letter usernames, so I went my current alias.

You are right about the Flyers' defense getting long in the tooth. I don't know the team's prospect pool but if they have a young defenseman who might need one more year to develop, Gill might be able to be a stop-gap in the mean time. I personally don't understand why someone could be mad about him being at camp as from what I understand, it's just a PTO, so there's really nothing to loose and everything to gain if you're the Flyers.

to me this just represents more of the same "gotta win now" mentality we see from the Flyers too often. Fine, Gill is a good leader and if he's got anything left in the tank he's a force down low. But I'd prefer seeing younger guys improving as opposed to older guys taking up a roster spot. Gill is 38 man I mean come on...

If he makes the team it better be because he really impresses the coaches in camp.