THN Season prediction

EDI-Flyer

THN.com predicts the Philadelphia Flyers to finish third in the Metropolitan Division.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/53333-NHL-Preseason-Predictions-Metropolitan-Division-No-3-Philadelphia-Flyers.html

Can't really argue with a lot of what they say, especially the peripheral prediction  :P

For no apparent reason at all, GM Paul Holmgren trades away half his roster by the deadline.

X-FACTOR: It was awfully expensive for the Flyers to buy out Ilya Bryzgalov and if the new tandem doesn’t play any better, it would have been a huge waste. Mason and Emery have as much of a chance to lift this team back into the playoffs as they do to crash and burn and keep the Flyers goalie curse intact.

"Expensive" doesn't really matter when it comes to winning and losing games.  Not buying out Bryz would have been the huge mistake. 

I completely disagree with the outlook that both Emery and Mason could crash and burn.  Really, both of them?  They are not Bryz and Leighton.

• Like 2

Key Departure: Jody Shelley? He played like two games last year. How about Ilya Bryzgalov? He seems like a key guy. And Kris Newbury is a key addition? To what the press box?

"X-FACTOR: It was awfully expensive for the Flyers to buy out Ilya Bryzgalov and if the new tandem doesn’t play any better, it would have been a huge waste. Mason and Emery have as much of a chance to lift this team back into the playoffs as they do to crash and burn and keep the Flyers goalie curse intact."

Really it will be a huge waste if they either Mason/Emery do not do well? I think keeping Brzygalov here a second longer would have been a waste. 

IMO, this article is poorly thought out garbage. THN should be ashamed of this.

• Like 1

Key Departure: Jody Shelley? He played like two games last year. How about Ilya Bryzgalov? He seems like a key guy. And Kris Newbury is a key addition? To what the press box?

Shelley is listed as a key departure because there will be a less experienced player serving beverages and popcorn to Lukko, Homer and Clarke in the pressbox this season.

• Like 2

"Expensive" doesn't really matter when it comes to winning and losing games.  Not buying out Bryz would have been the huge mistake. 

I completely disagree with the outlook that both Emery and Mason could crash and burn.  Really, both of them?  They are not Bryz and Leighton.

They very well could. Bryz was not Bryzaster before playing in Philly. And his 'horrible' numbers last year were still better than Steve Mason.

There's a much much better chance that Mason looks like the goalie of the last FOUR years (sv% <.900, GAA > 3.00) than the one from his rookie season, especially behind a defense and team that has not been especially 'defensive' over the past few seasons. I know it's early and possibly meaningless, but his preseason play is not very reassuring.

As for Emery, he played behind a Stanley Cup winning defense. He will be nowhere near those numbers. There's less chance he will crash and burn, but it's a possibility.

I *hope* they come out and play really well. But I wouldn't put money on *hope*.

• Like 1

They very well could. Bryz was not Bryzaster before playing in Philly. And his 'horrible' numbers last year were still better than Steve Mason.

There's a much much better chance that Mason looks like the goalie of the last FOUR years (sv% <.900, GAA > 3.00) than the one from his rookie season, especially behind a defense and team that has not been especially 'defensive' over the past few seasons. I know it's early and possibly meaningless, but his preseason play is not very reassuring.

As for Emery, he played behind a Stanley Cup winning defense. He will be nowhere near those numbers. There's less chance he will crash and burn, but it's a possibility.

I *hope* they come out and play really well. But I wouldn't put money on *hope*.

What numbers would those be? Mason was ranked higher in SV% and GAA last year, no?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20132ALLGAGAll&viewName=goalsAgainstAverage&sort=goalsAgainstAverage&pg=1

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20132ALLGAGAll&sort=savePercentage&viewName=goalsAgainstAverage

mason could be as brutal as he's been for four years, and emery could be as fragile as he's been for...a while.  it isn't a stretch to see it as possible that the flyers' goaltending situation could be every bit as bad next year as the last several.  it's also possible that mason turns over a new leaf and emery hangs tough, but the range of possible is huge for this tandem.  

• Like 2

Fair enough, but only because of the 7 game sample in Philly. And that sample here is much too small to be meaningful.

It would be great if that's a sign of what's to come, but I'm not convinced - on a rational level - that he's going to all of a sudden get it together. By the mid-point of the season, we should know which Steve Mason we have.

@brelic  "Fair enough, but only because of the 7 game sample in Philly. And that sample here is much too small to be meaningful."

That and the defense that was playing so well in front of him will not be there, due to depth charts and the cap. I've said it many times this summer, the Flyers are a better team with Gus and Oliver in the line up. That will not be possible this time around. I say screw the depth chart and put the 7 best d-men out there. Nothing against Coburn, I know his skill set inside out, but still think the Flyers would be better if Oliver is in and Coburn somehow finds a new home. Another year in the A will not kill Oliver, but I think he has reached the point where he can can benefit from playing against the worlds best. I believe Gus has the ability to be an all star in the NHL, so any scenario where he is not here, and not playing valuable minutes is outrageous.

@brelic  "Fair enough, but only because of the 7 game sample in Philly. And that sample here is much too small to be meaningful."

That and the defense that was playing so well in front of him will not be there, due to depth charts and the cap. I've said it many times this summer, the Flyers are a better team with Gus and Oliver in the line up. That will not be possible this time around. I say screw the depth chart and put the 7 best d-men out there. Nothing against Coburn, I know his skill set inside out, but still think the Flyers would be better if Oliver is in and Coburn somehow finds a new home. Another year in the A will not kill Oliver, but I think he has reached the point where he can can benefit from playing against the worlds best. I believe Gus has the ability to be an all star in the NHL, so any scenario where he is not here, and not playing valuable minutes is outrageous.

Strange, isn't it? That piecemeal defense we had at the end of the year played better than our multi-million dollar regulars. Of course, we were pretty much out of the race, and played some teams that were in the same boat, so another reason why we can't put too much stock in those 7 games.

I'm with you... give some of our young guys a chance. Gus needs to be playing regular minutes, and not just bottom pairing. I think we'll see some changes in the next week or so. If Mez holds up, it sounds like Carolina would be his likely destination. We'll probably get a mid-round pick for him. Bourdon is nowhere near ready, and he and PRongs will be on LTIR.

If you can believe it, that still leaves Timonen, Schenn, Coburn, Streit, Grossman, Gus, and Gervais with NHL contracts. Plus we have speed demon Gill on a PTO. Gus won't be sniffing top 4 minutes unless there's another move or a trade.

I think Mason is a better goaltender than Emery.  I liked Mason as a goalie, and wished he'd recover.. not anymore  ;)   If it falls to Emery I think you guys are in no better shape than you would be with Bryzgalov.  I know a lot of you love him and will jump to defend him, but he's no better than Bryzgalov.  Maybe just not as nuts.  

I think Mason is a better goaltender than Emery.  I liked Mason as a goalie, and wished he'd recover.. not anymore   ;)   If it falls to Emery I think you guys are in no better shape than you would be with Bryzgalov.  I know a lot of you love him and will jump to defend him, but he's no better than Bryzgalov.  Maybe just not as nuts.  

I hope Mason rebounds to have a good year as for Emery even at his worse I'd still take him over Bryzgalov any day.  As for the defense, I was hoping that they'd pair Gus with Grossmann, Streit with Schenn and Timo with Coburn with the 3 sets of D getting close to the same playing time. Timo is probably gone at the end of this year or if he comes back it will be in a reduce role.  Somehow Lavi has to get Gus with more playing time this year to see if he can handle the load and basically become the replacement for TImo.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

Even if Emery is the same quality of goalie as Bryzgalov (and I think he's better) he's still (as doom mentioned) a way more likeable teammate, and he doesn't cost over $5 million a year to suck either.

I'm not saying it was a bad move really... considering they got rid of Bryzgalov.  Just saying I wouldn't expect much more from him on the ice than you got from Bryzgalov.  Your hopes are pinned to Mason is my thinking.  

@Polaris922

Even if Emery is the same quality of goalie as Bryzgalov (and I think he's better) he's still (as doom mentioned) a way more likeable teammate, and he doesn't cost over $5 million a year to suck either.

Just checking to make sure if we're talking about the same player who has gotten into two fights with teammates in practice* and the team trainer in his career?

Not to say that Ray hasn't changed, but the "good teammate" aspect of him hasn't exactly been a hallmark throughout his career.

* we talkin' 'bout practice

Just checking to make sure if we're talking about the same player who has gotten into two fights with teammates in practice* and the team trainer in his career?

Not to say that Ray hasn't changed, but the "good teammate" aspect of him hasn't exactly been a hallmark throughout his career.

In his Ottawa days, absolutely. Since he's come back to the NHL I've heard nothing but good about the guy. And the Russian trainer who tried to force him to wear a hat and apparently used a racial slur may have deserved what he got. If he did in fact use the 'N" word on Emery, he was a total idiot.

I've heard a lot of players use the term "good teammate" when referring to him since his Sens days. I thought he was a jerk then, and wanted no part of him coming to Philly first time around. I actually like the guy now. People change.

• Like 2

But it has been something everyone has written about since his return from mother Russia. If ever there was an opportunity for Ray to douche it up it was in the playoffs last year , riding pine after posting 17-1 with solid stats, yet he took the ball cap and towel and supported his teammate. I think life has helped Ray become a better person/ teammate.

Except that it has in his 2nd stint in the NHL.  :P

His "2nd stint" has been half a season with the Flyers and then a season and a half with the Blackhawks.

I'm curious to see how he does in a legitimate tandem this year. Last year he knew his role - which was to be the backup.

What happens here if he comes out and posts a shutout and Lavvy puts Mason in the next game on a planned rotation?

I am hopeful that he will take it as the player he appears to be in his "2nd stint" - have the leopard's spots changed?

For me, it will be incumbent upon Lavvy to make sure he handles the goalie situation well. Which, quite frankly, will take a different approach than he has had in his history as a coach.