So maybe it wasn't Lavvy?

King Knut

Howdy:

I think Lady was part of the problem. I doubt Berube will make much difference but we need to see what gives. But I repeat here what I said a month ago: realignment would magnify our problems.  Homer's Seventies models are not going to stand up to Western speed and skill.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

Howdy:

I think Lady was part of the problem. I doubt Berube will make much difference but we need to see what gives. But I repeat here what I said a month ago: realignment would magnify our problems.  Homer's Seventies models are not going to stand up to Western speed and skill.

Best,

Howie

Lavy was definitely part of the problem. 

The team clearly tuned him out and did NOT play hard for him over the last year. However, what I fault him most for, was his handling of Bob. Despicable.

Having said that, Gomer is in way over his head and needs to go, too. He has no idea how to build a team and manage the cap. Blunder after blunder. Please take his keys away!!!

I have posted my dislike for both during the past few years and got grief for being "negative." Well, to those who drank the kool-aid, what do you say now? The team is really, really bad - and not entertaining.

• Like 1

The problem is obvious , Holmgren is the problem. He built this team of underachievers, he is the one who keeps drafting centers, when we need help in other areas. He is the one who keeps changing direction, trading guys, blaming the players, the coaches, and everyone but himself. Sure the team is better than they are playing, but we certainly are not cup contenders. In 2007 us and Chicago were the 2 worst teams, since then, they have won 2 cups, we have won nothing.Chicago was patient and built their team properly,they drafted well and didn't panic. We keep signing high priced FAs, and making trades. Maybe after this season he finally gets the axe.

To me Homer has made many mistakes, but the following 3 are grounds for immediate termination..

1  Trading the most highly skilled , athletic goalie Bobrovsky,  you had since Lindbergh. After 25 years of mediocre goalies(Hexy had one great year) We finally get a great young goalie and give up on him and he wins the Vezina the next year on an average team.

2 Signing that Russian moron, to a monster contract, and then having to buy him out. Even if you signed Bryz, Bob should have been kept around, his upside was so high, then after Bryz failed we still would have Bob.

3 Passing on a stud defenseman Doug Hamilton, when defense was so needed, to draft a slow, skinny, 3rd line center, when we already have more centers than we can use.

If these offenses are not enough to get him fired, I dont know what is

This collection of players appears to be in worse physical condition than every team they have played. Also, they seem to have less hockey sense than most. And finally they are soft, which you see in the number of times they reach with one hand on the stick to poke check when they should be moving their feet through the puck. Long way to go to fix this team. There are 4 or 5 players in the next couple of drafts you can build a team around. This should be the focus.

This is a project and will not be fixed over night.   Something is going to have to change b/c this team looks like it is skating in quick sand most nights.  I thought they played better last night but they were just outclassed by a better team.   That first goal Emery let in was not very good and he needs to make that stop.   I thought he was bad last night...

I just dont get how this team can make so many bad turnovers.   It is astounding...    A new Coach is not going to fix this mess entirely and some trades are going to have to be made to fix whatever is going on there.   Some of these same issues go back to the Hitch era for heaven's sake.   Like I said in a previous thread these next five games are crucial and they are all against good clubs.   1-9 is not the start we need and they will no recover from it...

Homer needs to be put out to pasture and maybe a 1-9 start would do just that...

I'll allow the first goal on Emery, due to the very new rules for shallow nets and smaller pads - making wraparounds easier. That will be fixed quickly, just needs a little adjustment period. I'm not worried about goaltending, and it's a nice feeling.

Lavy was definitely part of the problem. 

The team clearly tuned him out and did NOT play hard for him over the last year. However, what I fault him most for, was his handling of Bob. Despicable.

Having said that, Gomer is in way over his head and needs to go, too. He has no idea how to build a team and manage the cap. Blunder after blunder. Please take his keys away!!!

I have posted my dislike for both during the past few years and got grief for being "negative." Well, to those who drank the kool-aid, what do you say now? The team is really, really bad - and not entertaining.

Caluso:

I don't think anyone will accuse you of that anymore.

Howie 

The Flyers played a pretty good game against Detroit. I'd say their best game of the year. But clearly the Wings are a better team at this point. Give it time.

just thought it deserved repeating.

Last night the positives outweighed the negatives for the first time this season. Too bad the result was the same: the mistakes (turnovers and penalties) were costly as ever. The positive? They were less frequent last night. Also we finally got a forecheck going and maintained it, generating a ton of great scoring chances. Unfortunately the poor shooting killed us again. Hopefully those open-look misses are the result of guys squeezing the stick and eventually they'll calm down.

The breakouts sure looked calmer a lot of times, nice to see: generally there was always a Flyer within reach to pass to, an outlet when the pressure came. Way too many turnovers still but a lot of them came off Grossmann's stick (not a good game from him).

B. Schenn had one of his best games ever; that guy is really strong on the puck.

Couturier continues to play well; he's been much more active in all 3 zones this year and also he's winning most of his draws (57% before last night).

signs of life boys! We're still a long way away from being a good team but last night proved that these players can put it together and become one.

• Like 1

@canoli - the team would make their own lives easier if they would cut out those mistakes (penalties, turnovers). And B Schenn has really been good this year. He's starting to look like the guy everyone said was the best player not in the NHL. I was also impressed with both McGinn and Raffl. I would love to see those guys (and Gus) in the lineup every night.

Greetings:

From a fan's perspective, you hope Berube turns it around. But from a thinking person's vantage, a disaster year may be what the franchise needs as a wake-up call to shift architect and architecture. I am beginning to think that our two deep runs since the first strike were flukes that covered the proverbial multitude of sins. In many ways we seek to be where we were when Clarke and Hitchcock were canned. We seek to be a slow team that can't get the puck out of its own zone. The Detroit of the world make us look inept. I never expect much from my backyard Panthers. The fan base is small and the budget has been limited. But DT has drafted some good kids and scrappy vets the who try to compete. I got Center Ice to follow the O and B. Now I have difficulty staying engaged. This is no fun to watch. 

I am wondering if we see some waivers as symbolic move soon. Along those lines, a Grossman or Emery...I worry about Emery's mobility.

Best,

Howie 

But clearly the Wings are a better team at this point. Give it time.

That, to me, is a testimony of the never-ending frustration and futility.  Just about every year, post-Lindros era, we are saying this or that team is a better team than the Flyers.  So consequently, all these years,  the team was not in a position to win the Cup.

Actually, the only year in the recent history when they were pretty darn close to winning the Cup was 2003-2004 season when they fell to Tampa in the confrence finals.  That was the only year when they were legit contenders. 

Shameful and despicable.

• Like 2

I'll allow the first goal on Emery, due to the very new rules for shallow nets and smaller pads - making wraparounds easier. That will be fixed quickly, just needs a little adjustment period. I'm not worried about goaltending, and it's a nice feeling.

Goaltending is not the issue and pretty much one of the few bright spots. You cant give up those type of goals to elite teams like the red wings. Pads or no pads it was a terrible goal and had nothing to do with the size of his pads. He did not even follow the puck on the play...

Edited by murraycraven

@canoli - the team would make their own lives easier if they would cut out those mistakes (penalties, turnovers). And B Schenn has really been good this year. He's starting to look like the guy everyone said was the best player not in the NHL. I was also impressed with both McGinn and Raffl. I would love to see those guys (and Gus) in the lineup every night.

Could not agree more jack

Goaltending is not the issue and pretty much one of the few bright spots. You cant give up those type of goals to elite teams like the red wings. Pads or no pads it was a terrible goal and had nothing to do with the size of his pads. He did not even follow the puck on the play...

Shallow nets

Yes it was a bad goal, but so far, it's singular. Not like the defenseman did anything either on the play.

Every goalie in the league is dealing w the same thing... That 5 hole was not good whether it was 1975 or 2013... Defensemen dis not help but that was a bryz type goal....

It was not the deal breaker but was all on Emery and he stated as such in the post game.

@doom88  Like you said, there will be an adjustment period. You can't practice the wrap around at full speed like he sees in an actual game. Game situations are much different and faster than anything they can emulate in non game situations. It is a nice feeling to not be worried about the tending like you said, very refreshing.

I have been saying all along it isn't Lavy.  It's just much easier to fire Lavy than replace 10 overpaid stiffs on your team.  He played who he could play. The guy helped bring us to within 2 wins of the Cup 4 damn years ago. Homer and Snider are the problems with NMCs and NTCs, coupled with the fact that the refuse to fix a d that can't move the puck worth a damn.  The goalies have done a pretty good job this year, so I won't say anything about that. They are so arrogant in believing their way works that they cannot even bring themselves to hire anyone from outside the organization.  I know they brought back Hextall, and I think he would do a good job as GM from being in L.A., but this recycling of a dead philosophy is just plain STUPIDITY.  Maybe finishing out of the playoffs again will teach Snider a lesson that if you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been. The Broad Street Bullies were a great team, but 38 years ago, and that way of beating teams into submission doesn't work anymore. It's about SKILL. Time to change with the times.  My post might be a little bit repetitive from my last one, but after watching them get outclassed by a team with skill, I thought I would vent a little. Again, lol.