Who else is rooting for them to get blown out tonight (and blown up tomorrow)?

FD19372

I feel horrible as a long time fan having to say that. I started watching this team going back to the late 70s, but they are going nowhere except 'circling the drain'.  SIGNIFICANT changes have to start happening, sooner than later.  They need to bring an entirely new ideology in here, from outside this toxic organization. I can't believe I'd EVER say I'd rather watch the Sixers. Ever.

Is this what its come to for City fans? Rooting against alll 3 teams playing right now for the greater good or some crap like that? I can't root against the Flyers, that just goes against the point of being a fan. Ditto the Igs. Of course i can't root against the Sixers, that would mean I'm actually watching them.....

I can't even watch a game, I have watched about 4 total full games including last season and this season. No I don't root when they win only. The issue is how they are losing not showing any heart, or showing any will to win. I remember watching games in 2007 when they bombed the season, but I saw them trying at least. I would not have an issue with them losing so much, but when they don't' hustle and show any care I have an issue with that. I love watching hockey and these guys get paid millions to play a sport for their career which most of us can only dream of. If these guys were busting their tails every night losing games 2-1 1-0 etc I would not be as mad because if they were showing effort, but just not getting brakes it would be more understandable. You can turn on the game and watch for the 1st 5mins and see how the game will play, and so far they come out flat.

Snider needs to take a look and remove his horse blinders as they are truly an embarrassment of the NHL last night.

Edited by FlyersFan4Life

I think it's ok to cheer against the Flyers from winning if it brings about the wholesale changes that are needed to rectify the current situation...ie firing Homer etc....in this particular case, the end justifies the means.....lol.

I feel horrible as a long time fan having to say that. I started watching this team going back to the late 70s, but they are going nowhere except 'circling the drain'.  SIGNIFICANT changes have to start happening, sooner than later.  They need to bring an entirely new ideology in here, from outside this toxic organization. I can't believe I'd EVER say I'd rather watch the Sixers. Ever.

What do you mean by having things "blown up"? Off the ice? On the ice?

I don't think you necessarily have to hire from the outside. There are plenty of winners from within the organization. It's the "who" that needs to be looked at. I mean, Dave Brown is a scout? I don't think he'd know what a player with raw potential looks like. I'm not sure what it is about being a former (marginal) player that makes him qualified to scout out talent. 

Look at the Avs. Basically made no changes from last year other than MacKinnon (and now Talbot). They were terrible last year... and that roster included guys like Duchene, Stastny, Landeskog, O'Reilly. Instead of blowing the whole thing up or bringing in high priced UFAs that don't fit, they stuck with their guns, let the chips fall where they may, get the 1st overall pick, and ... most importantly ... brought a fiery proven winner behind the bench. And he happens to be one of the most famous ex-Avalanche players.

Now they're 1st overall in the NHL. Are they overachieving? Maybe, and perhaps their performance will equalize over the season. But overachieving is a good thing, no? And it's not necessarily a "temporary thing." They're overachieving precisely because they have the right mix of elements and are playing as a team.

And management trusted them enough to let them sort it out on the ice and in the dressing room, and turn it around. 

That's the major difference between that situation and ours. Management does not trust its own players... time and time again, they have shown they do not.

• Like 1

Now they're 1st overall in the NHL. Are they overachieving? Maybe, and perhaps their performance will equalize over the season. But overachieving is a good thing, no? And it's not necessarily a "temporary thing." They're overachieving precisely because they have the right mix of elements and are playing as a team.

They are over achieving  because both of their goalies are playing so far above their ability that it is just not realistic to expect it to continue the whole season. This has been the worst start in Flyers history but I still won't root against them, I might root for change but not for outright losses. That is for the bandwagon faithful of which we see plenty of examples across the NHL, not just the Flyers.

They are over achieving  because both of their goalies are playing so far above their ability that it is just not realistic to expect it to continue the whole season. This has been the worst start in Flyers history but I still won't root against them, I might root for change but not for outright losses. That is for the bandwagon faithful of which we see plenty of examples across the NHL, not just the Flyers.

I've watched about half of the Avs games so far, and they don't win just because of goaltending. They win because they *want* to win, and they play as team that wants to win. They have a young talented squad, just like ours. Except we have no direction, no identity, and no team.

The smart thing is to let our guys figure it out even if it takes them a few seasons. But this Flyers management won't give them that long. They'll ship out a young guy for an overpriced, underachieving vet who doesn't address a need.

I didn't watch, but I wasn't hoping they would lose. If you find yourself rooting for them to lose, you should consider changing your loyalties to another team. Your not on contract. :lol:

Why is it that people have to resort to "change your loyalties" or "find another team" or "you're not really a fan" whenever people disagree on this subject?  I don't see the "burn it down" folks telling the other side "you're not a fan" if they believe we should stay the course on losing.

For me, it's no better than the "you're not American!" stuff when it comes to disagreeing on politics (although, now that I'm putting it in that context, I have no patience for the "burn it down" people when it comes to politics but I'm clearly on the side of those advocating it with the Flyers.  With that realization, maybe I do need to reconsider my position when it comes to the Flyers).

But when one has come to the conclusion that the only way to ultimately improve the situation is to hit bottom, clean house, and start from scratch, I don't think think that's at all a lack of fandom.  It's just a theory that things will not get better for YOUR team until or unless these things happen.  I don't happen to think, after all this time, that things will ultimately improve until circumstances dictate real and significant change at the top (and it doesn't seem, with this ownership/management, that anything short of epic disaster will do that).   I actually don't know if that will work either, but it's one of the--it not the only--things that has not really been tried.

You clearly disagree and have articulated decent arguments why elsewhere.  I respect the hell out of that.   And I wouldn't question your "fanhood" for that.   I don't mean to call you out specifically as you're not the only one (it's just your post that inspired the response), but I don't know why the "find another team" thing seems to always have to be the mantra in response.  We're all fans here; we just have different ideas about how to go about making a really bad situation better.

Why is it that people have to resort to "change your loyalties" or "find another team" or "you're not really a fan" whenever people disagree on this subject?  I don't see the "burn it down" folks telling the other side "you're not a fan" if they believe we should stay the course on losing.

For me, it's no better than the "you're not American!" stuff when it comes to disagreeing on politics (although, now that I'm putting it in that context, I have no patience for the "burn it down" people when it comes to politics but I'm clearly on the side of those advocating it with the Flyers.  With that realization, maybe I do need to reconsider my position when it comes to the Flyers).

But when one has come to the conclusion that the only way to ultimately improve the situation is to hit bottom, clean house, and start from scratch, I don't think think that's at all a lack of fandom.  It's just a theory that things will not get better for YOUR team until or unless these things happen.  I don't happen to think, after all this time, that things will ultimately improve until circumstances dictate real and significant change at the top (and it doesn't seem, with this ownership/management, that anything short of epic disaster will do that).   I actually don't know if that will work either, but it's one of the--it not the only--things that has not really been tried.

You clearly disagree and have articulated decent arguments why elsewhere.  I respect the hell out of that.   And I wouldn't question your "fanhood" for that.   I don't mean to call you out specifically as you're not the only one (it's just your post that inspired the response), but I don't know why the "find another team" thing seems to always have to be the mantra in response.  We're all fans here; we just have different ideas about how to go about making a really bad situation better.

You know, it's an interesting phenomenon, isn't it? I've never ever come across a fan of another team that rooted for his team to lose even when the team was terrible (Leafs fans, Habs fans, Sens fans, Pens fans). I'm not passing judgment either way, just that I've never come across it for another team.

You know, it's an interesting phenomenon, isn't it? I've never ever come across a fan of another team that rooted for his team to lose even when the team was terrible (Leafs fans, Habs fans, Sens fans, Pens fans). I'm not passing judgment either way, just that I've never come across it for another team.

There are other teams fans? (Yeah, I don't think I have either)

@brelic

It's not so black and white as saying you either root for your team or your not a true fan.

You have to objectively step back and asses what the identity of this team is and if they have a legitimate chance to make the playoffs and cause some damage. If managements goal is to make the playoffs every year then we will never look like a team like the Av's do right now. We will just 'reload' and ask our fans to trust us that our team we assembled is good enough to win more games than they lose.

Personally, this team is too young and does not have the defense to make a playoff run. We just are simply not that good.

Unfortunately, management disagrees...because they are in the business of selling tickets and club boxes.

But this is the problem with Philly.... They would never admit to a 'rebuild' , lower ticket prices , and welcome in the working class fan that would appreciate watching a young team grow together...win or lose.

Therefore the only way to make a drastic change is a shakeup in management....and the only way that will happen is if the Flyers hit rock bottom.