Horrible call costs the Flyers at least one point

yave1964

With under a minute to go, Scott Hartnell scored a goal which for the life of me I cannot figure out how it was waved off which would have tied the game 2-2 against the Devils.

I am still not sure what they called, saying he pushed Brodeur into the net when incidental contact at best should have been the call. It was a goal, it cost the Flyers a point, maybe two and the damn Devils are still hanging around the race and getting closer because of a wretched call.

Keep in mind I am a Wings fan not a Flyer fan, this was a bad, bad call.

• Like 1

I would like to argue that point........well, not so much. Flyers played a great game(both teams did really) but once again the referees have stolen point(s) from another team. These refs would have trouble calling a mites game.....

It is obscene that bad calls by the officials could make or break someones season at the end. I know Hartnell has a hard time standing up on skates but he was clearly pushed into Brodeur and frankly I do not believe the contact mattered. Just a bad, bad call.

• Like 1

I already gave my rant during game chat.  Totally inexcuable IMO.  If replay is to make sure the call is correct, then why have replay at all if these types of calls are allowed to happen not just to our Flyers but to any team.

There is no way that wasn't a goal. It's a goal at any level of hockey.

Although it did allow me to explain to my girlfriend what a "hockey goal" is :)

And the "two minutes for being Steve Downie" penalty was hysterical. Guy gets smacked in the face with a high stick and is initially called for the penalty.

Heckuva job, refs.

There is no way that wasn't a goal. It's a goal at any level of hockey.

Although it did allow me to explain to my girlfriend what a "hockey goal" is :)

And the "two minutes for being Steve Downie" penalty was hysterical. Guy gets smacked in the face with a high stick and is initially called for the penalty.

Heckuva job, refs.

new meaning to what 'putting it in the five hole' means. :rolleyes:

The officiating in that games was an absolute joke. I am sure the Flyers will be sending the league video for review bc it was a disgrace.

With that being said the Flyers shot themselves in the foot in that game. 6 power plays! And nothing to show for it... Another game where our defense is chipping in on the scoreboard and our offense can't finish. Too many passes and not enough pucks on net...

And for the love of Jesus can someone tell me WTF was VLC trying to do with that behind the pass spinorama play? He is flat out terrible....

• Like 2

@Polaris922

LOL

@everyone else...

I did appreciate the non stop booing from the the replay announcement until the end of the game. But that game was typical Devils / Flyers.

I hate the Devils, I hate that they basically interfere and hold as their defensive "system" and I hate Marty Brodure and how he cannot be looked at funny during the run of play, that horrendous call was a result of him "priming" the refs for 50 minutes prior...

Good effort from the team, bad result due to a shitty call.

• Like 1

Here is the explanation from the league on the website:

At 19:20 of the third period in the New Jersey Devils/Philadelphia Flyers game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the New Jersey net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Philadelphia’s Scott Hartnell pushed goaltender Martin Brodeur across the goal line with the puck. According to Rule 78.5 (ix) “Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee when a goaltender has been pushed into the net together with the puck after making a save.” This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no penalty and no goal Philadelphia.

@murraycraven

I watched the replay several  times and it is more Volchenov (sp) pushing Hartsy and Hartsy is basically out of the crease by time both Marty and the goal crossed the goal line.  It is Volcheknov whose leg continues to make contact with Marty B.  IMO the refs totally got it wrong. 

As everyone else said though, you can't wait for last minute heroics when you go 0-6 on PP.

@Polaris922

Too Funny!  Well played my friend :)

Here is the explanation from the league on the website:

At 19:20 of the third period in the New Jersey Devils/Philadelphia Flyers game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the New Jersey net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Philadelphia’s Scott Hartnell pushed goaltender Martin Brodeur across the goal line with the puck. According to Rule 78.5 (ix) “Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee when a goaltender has been pushed into the net together with the puck after making a save.” This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no penalty and no goal Philadelphia.

It is non-reviewable, yes, but the puck did not go into the net as a result of Brodeur being "pushed" by Hartnell.

Brodeur didn't have control of the puck, so he wasn't "pushed into the net together with the puck." The puck went in before Brodeur.

It was a bad call by the ref - much like the center ice whistle in the Tronno game. Refs shouldn't be rushing to stop play, they should make sure they make the right call.

Not exactly the most well-called game I've ever seen, that's for sure. For starters, the Devils get their first goal on a PP after an glaring embellishment by Brodeur. I can't wait until the guy finally retires because no goalie in the league gets away with as much crap as he does. Then the two minutes for being Steve Downie? Well, I guess it's better than calling the penalty on Read who actually did high stick a guy. The no goal on Hartnell was probably the least horrible call, except that it cost the Flyers the game. In addition to the Flyers going 0 for 6 on the PP I mean.

@JackStraw

@murraycraven

0-6 on the powerplay vs a really good penalty kill...

and I thought they had some really great pressure and possession time on 4 of them.  The first power play of the night was maybe the best I've seen from them this year, they just couldn't get a puck behind Broduer and heck that's been happening for 20 years .

i hate that guy.

I think the Devils keep Brodeur on the payroll for pretty much ever --- just for when they have to get that guaranteed win against the Flyers.  They'll be wheeling this guy out when he's 80 and he'll still be beating the Flyers. :D

That said, the officiating sucked.  It sucks.  And it will continue to suck.  I'm at a loss as to what to do.  Booing is a great release but it hasn't changed the behavior of a single official.  Theoretically, the organization could throw its weight around with the League, but will they?  And even if it does, will it really change anything?  Nothing we can do about this game.  I'd've been tempted to pull my team from the ice after this particularly awful blown call in protest - but then that's just pouting.  That said, this lost point could be huge.  If the Flyers miss the playoffs, then I'm breaking out the old pitchfork and torch and paying a little visit to the league offices.  I still blame Bettman for everything that's wrong with this sport.  Somebody needs to send a damn strong signal that this can't be tolerated.

I think the Devils keep Brodeur on the payroll for pretty much ever --- just for when they have to get that guaranteed win against the Flyers.  They'll be wheeling this guy out when he's 80 and he'll still be beating the Flyers. :D

That said, the officiating sucked.  It sucks.  And it will continue to suck.  I'm at a loss as to what to do.  Booing is a great release but it hasn't changed the behavior of a single official.  Theoretically, the organization could throw its weight around with the League, but will they?  And even if it does, will it really change anything?  Nothing we can do about this game.  I'd've been tempted to pull my team from the ice after this particularly awful blown call in protest - but then that's just pouting.  That said, this lost point could be huge.  If the Flyers miss the playoffs, then I'm breaking out the old pitchfork and torch and paying a little visit to the league offices.  I still blame Bettman for everything that's wrong with this sport.  Somebody needs to send a damn strong signal that this can't be tolerated.

If the Flyers miss the playoffs the 1-7 start has a heluvalot more to do with it than that blown call. Team can't keep digging holes in October and planning to "flip a switch" in March.

In case anyone thought the switch flipper was dealt to Los Angeles...

• Like 1