Okay I'm officially pissed at VLC

King Knut

I know he's out of position and all that, but Christ Vinny, you should be able to take an Effin pass dude. It hits your tape the same way! That hasn't changed.

Why the hell Homer wasted money in this guy only to play him out of position when Jagr was out there again I'll never Effin know.

I'm sure he's a scent guy and all, but god... How about a little damn effort Vin? Come on dude.

Why the hell Homer wasted money in this guy only to play him out of position when Jagr was out there

Yes that is what i say with Jagr available would have preferred him for a 1 year deal...than the sloth Vinny for 4 more after this i think i'm gonna be sick....

I didn't understand the signing then and I hate it now. I would have rather had Briere since he only has 1 more year left on the contract I believe.  Briere would have been the lessor of two "evils".

Don't understand the signing or the contract? Homer's contracts never make sense, it's easily his biggest flaw, but I get why they did it. They need veterans players. They still do to be honest. But he always signs players for too much and too long.

If you would have said Jagr I'd agree, but I want no parts of Briere. He's worse than Lecalvier.

Apparently though, moving him to center... Even 4th line center Will mean 30-40 Goals.

Ha ha. Not likely but maybe this wake up call should have happened in January Chief!

I've been saying this for months. Eeeegads...we are stuck with him for 4 more yrs.........

They need veterans players wingers.

There were a lot of more suitable options out there. Guys like Jagr, Iginla, Ryder, Clowe (but not what he signed for!!), MacArthur, Alfie. I would have preferred a few years of Alfie or Iginla over 5 years of VLC. Or, if Homer is intent on giving out long contracts, I would have liked 5 years of MacArthur. I always liked that guy. Plays the game with an edge, scores a lot, and would have been a nice addition to a developing team. You know, the kind of piece that's in the prime of his career, not on the downslope.

I hear Brad Richards is a prime buy out candidate, so chances are he'll don the O&B next year. We're going 8 centers deep.

There were a lot of more suitable options out there. Guys like Jagr, Iginla, Ryder, Clowe (but not what he signed for!!), MacArthur, Alfie. I would have preferred a few years of Alfie or Iginla over 5 years of VLC. Or, if Homer is intent on giving out long contracts, I would have liked 5 years of MacArthur. I always liked that guy. Plays the game with an edge, scores a lot, and would have been a nice addition to a developing team. You know, the kind of piece that's in the prime of his career, not on the downslope.

I hear Brad Richards is a prime buy out candidate, so chances are he'll don the O&B next year. We're going 8 centers deep.

The Flyers always have too many centers. It's one of their things.

I think fans would have screamed bloody murder if the Flyers went out and signed Iginla, Alfredsson (him especially because of his age). I can just hear it now. Most fans bitch anytime you sign someone over 30. I always liked Iginla personally. Wouldn't have minded him at all. But if we signed him or Alfie to anything longer than I year I think people would be PISSED. There's people who still bitch about the Pronger deal to this day and he wasn't as old as either one of these guys and was still one of the best defensemen in the game at the time.

The Flyers always have too many centers. It's one of their things.

I think fans would have screamed bloody murder if the Flyers went out and signed Iginla, Alfredsson (him especially because of his age). I can just hear it now. Most fans bitch anytime you sign someone over 30. I always liked Iginla personally. Wouldn't have minded him at all. But if we signed him or Alfie to anything longer than I year I think people would be PISSED. There's people who still bitch about the Pronger deal to this day and he wasn't as old as either one of these guys and was still one of the best defensemen in the game at the time.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people would have been upset at signing Alfie. But, he signed at 1 year / $3.5M. Even if it were a 2-year deal, it's not the end of the world. It's manageable, in other words. Iginla signed for $1.8M. Maybe he wasn't considering anywhere else, and signed at a discount for a chance at the Cup. Still, offering him $3M or even $4M for one year on Giroux's wing would have been a much better move than VLC for 5 years. Same for Jagr. They made a mistake letting him go in the first place to chase pink elephants... so what was their excuse last summer?? 

We all know the issue with too many centers, which is why it's weird that they continue to sign them. 

For Pronger, I didn't like the deal from the day it was announced - BUT, he's all-star, HOF calibre and they don't come around too often. He filled a huge need, and no one could foresee the career-ending injury he suffered.

In VLC's case, it's a bad contract for a player we didn't need. That's what gets me the most. It's crazy that the honeymoon period didn't even last a full season.

I always liked Iginla personally. Wouldn't have minded him at all. But if we signed him or Alfie to anything longer than I year I think people would be PISSED.

So, essentially, signing either of them to the deals that they got - both one year Iginla at $1.8, Alfredsson at $3.5. That's a heckuva lot different than, say, five years at $4.5M.

There's people who still bitch about the Pronger deal to this day and he wasn't as old as either one of these guys and was still one of the best defensemen in the game at the time.

The issue with Pronger was signing a guy to a 35+ contract for a term that was seven years and represented a $4.9M annual commitment that could not be gotten out of.

Again, a little different than signing an Alfredsson or Iginla to a one year dealAnd the fact that both Iginla and Alfredsson are wings.

The problem isn't signing guys in their 30s, it's how the Flyers sign guys. Holmgren went with Jagr on the one year deal and then, quite frankly, screwed the pooch on keeping him. He went with long term deals to Pronger, VLC and Streit.

no one could foresee the career-ending injury he suffered.

No one could "foresee" that specific injury, no. But there were more than a few people - yourself likely included - who noted that it's not usual for a player with his style to be playing effectively until he's 43.

And I have to believe that it is more "dangerous" for long-term career-ending injury the older a player gets. Don't have the numbers immediately available.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people would have been upset at signing Alfie. But, he signed at 1 year / $3.5M. Even if it were a 2-year deal, it's not the end of the world. It's manageable, in other words. Iginla signed for $1.8M. Maybe he wasn't considering anywhere else, and signed at a discount for a chance at the Cup. Still, offering him $3M or even $4M for one year on Giroux's wing would have been a much better move than VLC for 5 years. Same for Jagr. They made a mistake letting him go in the first place to chase pink elephants... so what was their excuse last summer?? 

We all know the issue with too many centers, which is why it's weird that they continue to sign them. 

For Pronger, I didn't like the deal from the day it was announced - BUT, he's all-star, HOF calibre and they don't come around too often. He filled a huge need, and no one could foresee the career-ending injury he suffered.

In VLC's case, it's a bad contract for a player we didn't need. That's what gets me the most. It's crazy that the honeymoon period didn't even last a full season.

To be fair to him he has been playing out of position and was one of the few players producing during their awful start.  He's been noticeably better since returning to his natural position and I don't think that's a coincidence.

I would have kept Jagr too and I don't really take issue with any of the suggestions you offer, but I don't think most of the fan base feels that way. Any time they sign someone over 30, it's doomsday (unless it's Gagne, he's somehow "worth it").

I don't know why they put so much emphasis on the center position. They seem to think they are all more versatile/interchangeable than wingers.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

So, essentially, signing either of them to the deals that they got - both one year Iginla at $1.8, Alfredsson at $3.5. That's a heckuva lot different than, say, five years at $4.5M.

Alfredsson at that rate - even for one season - is not a good deal imo and I don't think you'd find many Flyers fans congratulating Homer on signing a 41-year old winger for $3.5 mil. It's not a steal or a bargain as far as I'm concerned. Iginla should have fired his agent after seeing that signing.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

They seem to think they are all more versatile/interchangeable than wingers.

well that's because they are. generally speaking anyway. who's the center on any team you played for? the best puck-handler, the best shooter. Naturally as you go up the professional ladder positions become more specialized but in general a center shouldn't have much difficulty adapating to the wing. Going the other way is hard but center>wing isn't a big "ask."

I don't mind saying I was dead wrong to support the Vinny acquisition. I wasn't in love the deal of course, nobody could be. But I thought we could hope he'd be a strong leader and 50pt guy (at least) no matter who he skated with. I never dreamed the guy would DOG it so much...for so long. It was like he pouted all year, whoever they put him with.

Maybe he deserves the benefit of the doubt because of his injuries I don't know. We can't really judge the situation without knowing the details. But if the 4th line is the only spot he can be reasonably effective then that's where he stays as far as I'm concerned.

well that's because they are. generally speaking anyway. who's the center on any team you played for? the best puck-handler, the best shooter. Naturally as you go up the professional ladder positions become more specialized but in general a center shouldn't have much difficulty adapating to the wing. Going the other way is hard but center>wing isn't a big "ask."

I don't mind saying I was dead wrong to support the Vinny acquisition. I wasn't in love the deal of course, nobody could be. But I thought we could hope he'd be a strong leader and 50pt guy (at least) no matter who he skated with. I never dreamed the guy would DOG it so much...for so long. It was like he pouted all year, whoever they put him with.

Maybe he deserves the benefit of the doubt because of his injuries I don't know. We can't really judge the situation without knowing the details. But if the 4th line is the only spot he can be reasonably effective then that's where he stays as far as I'm concerned.

Really? You think that's a lock no matter who he plays with or at what position?

They should have gotten a true winger - that's what we're all saying here instead of asking so many centers to play out of position. How many years have they tried that now instead of simply signing players who play the appropriate position now? It's time for another approach, no?

Edited by fanaticV3.0

Really? You think that's a lock no matter who he plays with or at what position?

well yes, but I never imagined he'd be skating between Zac and Adam Hall for crying out loud! :) did you? did anybody?

as to who they should've targetted - agreed. 100%. I didn't mind the Vinny signing so much because I've always liked him and St. Louis so much. I figured we're getting 1/2 of that duo so what the hell, take what we can get. And 50 pts skating 2nd line wasn't too much to dream. But I should've known better. First of all like you say another center is not what we needed. Second - I think Jammer put it best somewhere recently - we got a guy who apparently gave his heart 'n soul to another club for 14 years and now he's got nothing left for the Flyers.

[edit: btw, refresh my memory if you can - why did we (apparently) give up on Vinny centering the 2nd line so quickly? I honestly don't remember the sequence of events. Vinny was playing well when nobody else was besides Mason. Then he got hurt...then...wh? Schenn moved up and performed so well that Vinny never got another look?]

Edited by canoli

well yes, but I never imagined he'd be skating between Zac and Adam Hall for crying out loud! :) did you? did anybody?

as to who they should've targetted - agreed. 100%. I didn't mind the Vinny signing so much because I've always liked him and St. Louis so much. I figured we're getting 1/2 of that duo so what the hell, take what we can get. And 50 pts skating 2nd line wasn't too much to dream. But I should've known better. First of all like you say another center is not what we needed. Second - I think Jammer put it best somewhere recently - we got a guy who apparently gave his heart 'n soul to another club for 14 years and now he's got nothing left for the Flyers.

No and nor should be be (full time) imo. I'm fine with him on the fourth line. It might even create some matchups in their favor. But don't play him with them all the time. It's not going to help him. Give him a bone once and a while. Playing with those two full time is just punishing him and the team.

I didn't like the terms of the contract (rarely do with Homer), but thought maybe him and Giroux could be our version of him and St. Louis. Vinny just isn't that player anymore and I don't think they ever put Giroux on the wing for longer than a minute.