What becomes of Holmgren?

Like isaid i'm speaking for me....i want a culture change....it needs it a fresh maybe different perspective on things. There is nothing wrong with that i'm tired of the constant goo ol boys....been there done that time for something new. But with that said....i wouldn't be incomplete revolt to Hexy i'll give him the benefit of the doubt...

Agree OR...  

Hexy might be the next great GM and maye he does lead us to the promise land.  I just think it is a repeat of the age-old philosphy behind the Flyers management.  I dont think for a minute that Snider is a passive owner and frankly think he is to blame for a lot of the ugly deals over the years.  

I think this was a very good step forward this year.  Young core and they found a way to win after a dismal start.  We have a goalie, we have a good Captain who is rightfully in the running for the Hart and we have young talent.   They did not trade any of that talent but I always feel like we are chasing out tail w/ the big free agent signings that are past their prime.   Two GMs over the course of how many years making simlar moves while there was always one constant - Snider.   Maybe the old man decides to let Hexy do his own thing but history proves otherwise IMO.

Edited by murraycraven

it makes no sense honestly.   it is not happening!!

LOL!  I just laughed out loud on that ... well played!

I don't get excited about players not yet in the league. I can't stand when people hype up prospects as if it's a given they're going to make the big club. It irks the hell out of me. Talk to me when they have made the team and proven they can stay in the line up.

Plus, this team already has a ton of youth. Youth is not what this team is lacking. Their problems - which everyone pretty much agrees are a top line winger and defense - are not going to be fixed by the likes of Laughton, Morin, Ghost, etc.

I LOL'd when rad posted the idea of them coming back - because I could actually see it happening. I can see it now, the old man barging into Hextall's office, "You know what this team needs? Centers!"

That is fine with me if you want to discount that but picks like those two right there are prime example of why guys want Homer ran out of town....had he made tow bad picks like....to it all needs to be part of the evaluation process not excluded...and those are just two examples....there are more.

Oscar Moller #22 same year as Hickey!

I'm not discounting them. It's just that it's only examples.

Homer would have been nailed to a cross w/ those picks!

Yes don't forget right after the bust of Thomas Hickey the same year is Oscar Moller(2nd round 22) too...played a grand total of 87 NHL games....just saying.

Homer would have been nailed to a cross or stoned to death w/ those picks!

Life-of-Brian.jpg

Nice......remember to put this in perspective the year LA took Hickey they among others could of had some kid named Claude Gioroux #22!!!!

I don't get excited about players not yet in the league. I can't stand when people hype up prospects as if it's a given they're going to make the big club. It irks the hell out of me. Talk to me when they have made the team and proven they can stay in the line up.

The number of players drafted vs. number of players who make the league is staggeringly low.

The number of players who make the league vs. the number of players who make an actual impact is smaller still.

I LOL'd when rad posted the idea of them coming back - because I could actually see it happening. I can see it now, the old man barging into Hextall's office, "You know what this team needs? Centers!"

Hell, they brought back Downie of all people.

Hell, they brought back Downie of all people.

Yes and like i stated even before they acquired him (Downie) they should look within before looking outside first, that is when i mentioned trying Akeson and you IIRC you were the only one who responded with thoughts form Bill on why Akeson wasn't given a chance.

And then even once they got him and then he was inured i then once again said they should give Akeson a look first before McGinn.....now with hindsight i was right and Homer and company are stupid as hell for not giving him a chance earlier in the season.

Who knows how much a difference he could have made the 2nd half of the season or even in the playoffs had he been given a longer look beside the damn last game of the regular season.

Friggin Homer always looking at the neighbor's grass instead of his own!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, look at the Canucks and even the Penguins might crap out, and never mind SJ... I'll take Homer over those GM's any day.

And one other thought, look what LA just did. That's got Hexy's finger print all over it...

Ignoring the silliness that is Holmgren before Shero... You have me curious. What exactly is Hextall's "fingerprint" in LA? Lombardi is a great GM that Hextall could learn from, but what is it that stands out as something purely Hextall there??

I've been trying to understand the Hextall movement since it started, and I thought in previous discussions it was generally agreed there's nothing to base support for him on other than a change from Holmgren and a lot of hope?

Ignoring the silliness that is Holmgren before Shero... You have me curious. What exactly is Hextall's "fingerprint" in LA?

I am not sure it really matters or is *going* to matter, quite frankly...  I agree with Fanatic 100% - as long as The Old Man is in the picture, all big moves will run through him, no matter who the GM is.  Sure, the deals like picking up Hal Gill or extending McDonald will probably not need Snider's concurrence, but the "big deal" trades will run through him.  He will continue dictating what he wants and as long as that happens, does it really matter who the Flyers' GM is? 

Edited by Mad Dog

Yes and like i stated even before they acquired him (Downie) they should look within before looking outside first, that is when i mentioned trying Akeson and you IIRC you were the only one who responded with thoughts form Bill on why Akeson wasn't given a chance.

It was in the shoutbox and, yes, since you asked I thought it a worthwhile thing to look at - and gave you the immediate research I found, and posted it again in the thread :)

And that was earlier this year, not back when the traded for Downie.

Again, Kreider spent the majority of the next season after his record-setting playoff debut in the AHL. I like Akeson. He wears my favorite number. I'm happy as heck for him. I'd never seen him play before (and said so explicitly).

Quite frankly, he still has a lot to prove.

Nothing wrong with that. I hope he feels the same way. And that management does, too.

Ignoring the silliness that is Holmgren before Shero... You have me curious. What exactly is Hextall's "fingerprint" in LA? Lombardi is a great GM that Hextall could learn from, but what is it that stands out as something purely Hextall there??

I've been trying to understand the Hextall movement since it started, and I thought in previous discussions it was generally agreed there's nothing to base support for him on other than a change from Holmgren and a lot of hope?

What the hell are you talking about? He beat up Chelios so you know he'd be a great GM. [/sarcasm]

I've got nothing.

Polaris.... If you can figure it out let me know dude BC I have the same exact questions.

We need no trades except for a major D-man unless you want to ride Ghost, Morin and or Hagg. I'd be ok with either.

opps, and Guffs...

Homer? Is that you?

Even if they get a stud dman like Weber they still need to address the offense. They are a few players away. I appreciate your optimistic viewpoint but you need to insert reality.

Defense needs an upgrade but to think this group of forwards will win you a cup is ludicrous. They need speed and the need a finisher.

By the sounds of it, Snider was serious about not needing a culture change.

Would you feel better about Snider being replaced by Holmgren?

About 90 minutes after Ed Snider hinted that Paul Holmgren may become the Flyers' president, Holmgren said he would remain as the team's general manager next season.

I'm fine with that. Frankly most here should be if they believe Snider is the problem.

I'll admit, I didn't see that coming. This kind of looks like an ascention plan, just to take care of the Flyers post-Snider.

Hopefully he goes home to Minnesota and maybe gets an assistant GM job there or somewhere else. I don't know about Hextall's experience level or if it will matter anyway with Snider in charge, in terms of decision making. He will probably be next in line, however. Holmgren gives too much money to mediocre and/or old talent that doesn't produce and I'm tired of it.  Before he trades Gostesbierre for another 35 year old, he needs to be relocated to another position in the organ-eye-zation.  I really don't think this team is that far from being a contender for the Cup, now that we have a very good goalie. They NEED a fast d-man back there to play major minutes. I really just don't trust that he won't screw everything up, and before he does, Holmgren needs to go.

Edited by FD19372

Hextall's first move is to recapture the magic from "his" Cup run in LA and trade for a couple experienced players to round out the Flyers' core.

I can see it now... "Richards and Carter Return to Philadelphia"

:ph34r:

I don't see Carter coming back but it wouldn't surprise me to see Richards possibly back in a Philly uniform because LA uses one of their compliance buyout on him. He didn't have a great year and I think he still has 7 or 8 years left on his deal with has an annual cap hit of $5.75 million that LA could use elsewhere. If LA wins the cup this year, I could see the buyout.

I don't see Carter coming back but it wouldn't surprise me to see Richards possibly back in a Philly uniform because LA uses one of their compliance buyout on him. He didn't have a great year and I think he still has 7 or 8 years left on his deal with has an annual cap hit of $5.75 million that LA could use elsewhere. If LA wins the cup this year, I could see the buyout.

I would LOVE to have Richards back. Giroux could learn a thing or two from him, starting with keeping on ice frustration under control, not playing Mr FancyPants with the puck when real effort is what it takes, etc.

Man, imagine having Richards back and the impact on PK...