jammer's Top 10 story lines going into 14-15

jammer2

My top 10 list of interesting Flyer story lines for the 2014-15 season.

1)Can Cooter make the transition to 2nd line scoring center?

2)Will Luke Schenn continue to build on the last 1/3rd of this past season?

3)Can Del Zotto replace a bit of Kimo's offensive numbers?

4)Will Braydon Schenn take the next step?

5)Who will win the battle for the last spot on the top line?

6)Is Emery capable of providing adequate play from the back up position?

7)Will Mason live up to the contract extension?

8)Will Alt and or Lauridsen force their way on to the Flyers?

9)Will Scott Laughton force the Flyers to keep him?

10)Do Akeson and Raffl both make the Flyers?

1) he can but he won't. Vinny will be there (at least the first month or so). They won't keep him on the 4th line.

2) you'll get about the same

3) if you say a bit, then yes. Don't keep your hopes up. Hope he is a pleasant surprise.

4) nope. I think he will be moved around line to much this year and never really settle in. I say 15-20 goals. Good but not great.

5) raffle

6) don't know about this one. God I hope so.

7) he will be solid. He will bail the d out more then we would like. But he is not god. He can't stop everything. He will be in the top 15 in both gaa and sp.

8) no

9) yes

10) raffl yes, akeson no though it won't be long before he is needed or given a try.

1) Absolutely. Nothing will happen in the first quarter of the season as he adjusts, but once he does, expect a .75 point per game average from Couturier going forward

2) All depends who Schenn is partnered with. If he's partnered with Grossmann, it could potentially get ugly. He needs to play with a defenseman that will lead the charge offensively and has no problems being the primary puck carrier of the duo

3) Yes. Del Zotto knows that this is a pivotal year in his career and he's done everything so far to show he really wants to get his game back on track. I'm expecting 45+ points from Del Zotto this year.

4) Yes. We saw glimpses last year of the goal scoring prowess he can provide. Being the left winger on the line with Giroux and Voracek should do immense wonders in terms of consistency and confidence for Schenn.

5) See 4

6) No. As much as a warrior and competitor Emery is, his hips are done and seeing him move side to side is painful to watch. I expect he'll go in LTIR in mid to late November and that will be the last we'll see of him

7) He will, but people are going to expect much more than what he can deliver. Right now, Steve Mason is kind of a Martin Biron clone. He's good enough to steal a game or two when required, but people will always want more and when he can't deliver, people will complain.

8) Alt will probably be a mid season call up; Lauridsen is at the end of the line - he's a career minor league defender

9) Laughton will make things incredibly difficult, but until the Flyers are able to move Lecavalier's contract, Laughton will remain in Lehigh Valley where he'll play 20+ minutes a night

10) They will. Raffl will probably be on a bottom line with Bellemare and White and Akeson will probably be used on a line where he'll be sheltered by defensively capable players.

Another story line I think is key- Craig Berube. He didn't have a training camp last year (not as HC anyway) and he clearly has a different approach than Laviolette had. What kind of team will the Flyers be under the Chief? Last year he seemed to stress skating/conditioning and team defense. Will the team continue to improve in those areas? (as well as some others hopefully)

1. Not this year. If it is going to happen, it's not going to happen in 1 year and I think it's completely unfair to him they expect that of him. He was really good defensively last year. Like, freakishly good for a kid that young. So what do they do? Put him in a position that demands more of what he struggles with! Brilliant.

2. No. He's Coburn with even less flashes.

3. Sometimes what a guy needs is a change of environment to get him on the right track, but given our track record, I'm not inclined to think we are that lucky. By God, I'm hoping for it though.

4. He doesn't set the world on fire, but I think he also gets too much flack at times. 20 goals and 41 points is not bad for a kid who has barely played 20 seasons (and only 1 all the way through). Part of the problem here is figuring out what he is; a winger or a center.

5. Battle? That makes it sound like they are inundated with a plethora of qualified players, lol, which is clearly not the case. I'm guessing it's going to be Lecalvier and/or Schenn. They'll probably throw Raffl in there too, which is dumb, but they will try it.

6. If he's healthy, he's an ok enough back up. I don't love him, but he's ok.

7. I'm worried about him because of our history with goalies. I'm also worried that it's his 8th year in the league and he's still a ??? as a starter. If he doesn't live up to the money, but was still ok, I'd settle.

8. and 9. No idea.

10. I really liked things I saw from both players last year, but it's still early in their careers, and I think they are going to put one or both of them in positions they don't belong in (and I hate that). I would really like for both to be a part of the core for a long time. We have our top-tier younger players (forwards at least), now it'd be nice to fill out the rest of the core. The longer the team plays together the better. I'd rather have even role players who are a part of the core rather than fill ins every year.

I think Couturier will begin to show some signs of an offensive awakening... for me a lot will depend on how he is used, if Chief puts him out in a shutdown role with guys with stone hands but good speed then no, if he leaves him with Read and finds a guy who will play the Downie role in the corners and with puck possession, then I think we'll see more scoring... I am not expecting a 65 point year from him.

Luke Schenn will be as good as his partner allows, if he is paired with a guy who'll lug the puck and win a race to the corner with some consistency we'll see the guy we kind of liked at the end of last year.  He projected to be an Adam Foote type, not Duncan Keith; so if people keep their expectations for him to his ability / role he'll work out nicely... all that to say he is a stay home guy if he can be that guy he'll be good.

Del Zotto ... i'm excited, he's a great skater, has a very good shot, if he can be coached up to be decent in the defensive end or have a partner that is a stalwart defender, I think we'll want to extend his contract.  he's been humbled so maybe we're the change of scenery that a guy needs to find his game and become great.

the Good Schenn I think yes, he's got a contract knows where he'll be for the next couple of years, wants to be a good player, I hope he finds some instant chemistry with Jake and G so he can gain some confidence , i think with these blue chip kids the consistency comes with confidence.  I see flashes of a really good hockey player, the tools and skills are there.

I hope Schenn sticks , he will give those guys some grit and hitting and they will be able to capitalize on his ability to find space in scoring areas, they can put the puck on his tape, he can finish.

I think Emery is done.  I like him but I don't see him magically healing and becoming the player he was, desire and study cannot overcome his physical limitations.

Why not, Mason has plenty of skill, was a Calder trophy winner, is capable of playing lights out,  he is the example for Del Zotto to follow,  Mason has talent, size and has benefited from coach Reese's approach.   I don't see him sliding back to end of the line in Columbus Mason.

I think Alt has the higher ceiling, i think Laridisen was a project that almost worked but didn't quite, I think Alt dresses for the Flyers at some point this year and once he's on the NHL team I think he'll stick, he's got the right pedigree ,championship sporting experience , athleticism and size, to be a NHL pro.

Don't know about Laughton, other than if he's borderline this year I'd rather he play more and more important minutes in the A than 6 4th line minutes for the big club.

Raffl does Akeson is bumped by Bellmare and lights it up for Lehigh Valley.

I still think Cooter is going to be jammed behind VLC so dont think he will see much of the 2nd line position early on.   Eve so I think Cooter will start to produce on  the offensive side

Me thinks Luke is pretty much what you see... I hope he turns into something better but I think we are looking at the near finished product.   That does not mean he cant help the team.   As stated he played well last year down the stretch.  Being drafted at #5 puts a lot of pressure on him and he is not a #1/#2 dman.

Streit will replace Kimmo on the top PP... anything MDZ can bring that is a positive will the cherry on top.   This signing could be a steal if it works out but based on last season I am not sure if this will work.  Hope it does...

This is not to be negative but BS needs to find some consistency in his game and his effort.   He is good at many things but he is not necessarily great in any one part of the game.   If he gives a consitent effort every night I think he will take the next step.  Not sure if he will ever turn out to be a top-tier player for the Flyers and if he cant adjust playing the wing with the like og G and Jake I would ship him out of town (knwing that Laughton is waiting in the wings as another C) and try to upgrade the defense or get a true scoring winger.  I would rather him play the wing since he is useless in the faceoff circle.

Schenn (I hope)

I think he can serve as a capable backup and win some games.   He played decent in the POs last year when Mason went down.

Yes... he will be steady but the defense still needs to be addressed.

Alt - maybe.   Ollie I think is pretty much falling in the depth charts as far as a D callup.  

No...  He will play very well but will be forced back into the AHL.  

Raffle yes.... Akeson is sent back to the AHL

Akeson has to clear waivers to get sent back down...according to Capgeek.  If that's true, there is no way he makes it through without getting claimed.  For that reason alone, he should stay with the Flyers, even if he's a frequent scratch.

Laughton goes to Lehigh Valley..again, simply due to numbers/waiver exemption.  Call up as needed.

Akeson has to clear waivers to get sent back down...according to Capgeek.  If that's true, there is no way he makes it through without getting claimed.  For that reason alone, he should stay with the Flyers, even if he's a frequent scratch.

Laughton goes to Lehigh Valley..again, simply due to numbers/waiver exemption.  Call up as needed.

If that's true, and you've never been wrong before, then I agree Akeson stays. He has to earn it yet, but he played well in the playoffs for us and has more to his game than I previously thought. 

Starting to think you are right on Laughton. The numbers game and cap/contract issues (waiver eligibility) will see him in the AHL. Where I predict he will prosper. And really, that's what he needs: 20+ min a night and then on the bus. Candidate for rookie of the year in the AHL I bet.

@jammer2

Let's not forget the elephant in the room:

---Will VLC finally show why the Flyers signed him in the first place....or will he not be Flyer for much longer, and if not, does Philly end up with anything of value for their troubles of having him on the team to begin with.

For another thread, if VLC is dealt away during early/mid season/deadline...Does VLC THEN show what he is really capable of on another team where he is a better fit?

As for your other points, I will just touch up on 3 of them, as the others I am not knowledgeable enough to comment intelligently on.

6--Is Emery capable?

Honestly, I think everyone knows what they are getting with Emery in net. There should be no surprises. The ONLY surprise would be if he plays lights out EVERY time he is in net.

But I think everyone understands, he is a good backup, but not more than that...force him to play too often, he is exposed, get him moving around, out of position, teams will have much to shoot at. All old news there.

5-Will Mason live up?

I think so. A healthy Mason is a good Mason for Philadelphia.

The real bar to his success may be the defense in front of him. Minimize the easy scoring opportunities (the defense's job) and Mase does well....if Mase is left out there as target practice, well, his final numbers may not reflect his true ability at season's end.

But I think he is about as good a goalie as the Flyers will have at this point in time...and that is a good thing for them.

3-Del Zotto.

I think he will do just fine if he is indeed viewed as "taking Kimmonen's spot".

He is another guy I think everyone kinda knows what to expect from him: Good offensive skill set, not so great defense, excellent skating and puck movement, small size may hinder his health if large forwards continually pound him game after game.

That said, I think Del Zotto IS motivated..or at least he SHOULD be.....NHL teams may be running out of job offers for him, the Flyers may be his last real chance to salvage an NHL career, and I think he will do his best to stay on an NHL team.

Nope..the one...the only...and I"m 99.98% the official SHJON PODEIN!!!!!

I have followed him on twitter for years and he's never followed me :( 

But then he doesn't know that I carry on as his namesake here. He's a good guy, a loving dad and very involved in the community from what I can tell. One of the good ones.

As others have said, VLC will be the primary limiting factor here

Depends on his partner. I hope so.

Some, but I don't know that that bit of offense will balance the lost defense.

I think so, but will it be because of Brayden, or because of Claude?

See above.

For a little while, but I wonder about his hip.

Yep.

Not unless there are injuries, the cap just won't allow it.

Only if he can play LW.

Probably.

I've made some adjustments:

1)Can Cooter CONTINUE TO make the transition to 3RD line scoring MORE center?

2)WHO WILL BE PAIRED WITH Luke Schenn AND WILL THEY HELP HIM continue to build on the last 1/3rd of this past season?

3)Can Del Zotto MAKE THE TEAM?

4)Will Braydon Schenn take the next step AT FIRST LINE WING OR REMAIN AT 2ND LINE CENTER?

6)Is Emery STILL capable of providing adequate play from the back up position?

7)Will Mason PLAY BETTER THAN THE VERY FAIR contract extension?

8)Will ANY ROOKIE force their way on to the Flyers?

9)HOW CAN Scott Laughton force the Flyers to keep him?

Great list J -

1. Couturier - will Berube be patient, allow him to make mistakes, go through droughts, etc.? I hope so. His junior numbers may not guarantee anything but they sure look good. he's already made the hardest transition; he got up to speed in a hurry. I imagine he'll find ways to score given more O-zone starts, etc.

2. LSchenn - was less error-prone as the reg season wound down. imho his tendency to do too much with the puck is trouble for the Flyers. If he'd play less gung-ho (offensively) he'd be tougher to play against. As it is teams/guys know they can force TOs out of him pretty easily it seems to me.

3. MDZ will help on the scoresheet, the real question I think is whether ("how often?") he's embarrassed defensively.

4. BSchenn - huge question mark. I'm hopeful but not optimistic. Whoever said "he'll give us about the same as last year" sounds right, unfortunately.

5. If it's Raffl he has to start finishing plays with points. As a top line winger working hard isn't enough he's got to start cashing in regular. the effort is there, which earns him a look (but mostly because we don't have any better options).

6. Emery - absolutely, a very capable backup. Naturally we all hope Mason is healthy when the POs roll around again.

7. Mason - is fine, good to go. I expect a spectacular season out of him.

8. Lauidsen / Alt? - seemed to me Ollie was ready last year.

9. Laughton - I hope so from the way you talk about him. I want the Flyers to hang onto this kid until we know more, one way or the other.

10. Personally I'd like to see more of Akeson. Any kid who can jump into a pressure-cooked PO atmosphere and not only hold his own but lead the team offensively is a guy I want to see more of.

That was fun - thanks Jammer!

That may be the ultimate goal, but I doubt that he gets that opportunity this year. Too many centers ahead of him, but maybe next year. There is a remote chance that Schenn moves to the top line and Lecavalier gets moved, but that's a lot of ifs. For the record. I would like to see this happen and have Laughton move into the 3rd line center role. While we're dreaming, the Lecavalier trade includes one of our mid-tier D-men and they both get moved for an upgrade on D.

There is some potential there, but I'm afraid that we may have already seen everything that he has to offer. The best we can hope for is consistency. I wouldn't mind if he was in a package with Lacavalier to land a better D-man. I'd prefer Grossman, but Schenn wouldn't be untouchable.

I think that he can. But a better question is: Will he drive us nuts with his defensive play. That's where I would be concerned.

This kid is on a slow rise. I think that he has another gear and hope that he shows it this year. I believe that if he can get comfortable as a winger on the top line and he stays there, we could see 30 goals. The team just needs to tell him that the spot is his and he needs to focus, work hard and do the job.

I'm hoping for Schenn. Umberger is not a top line player and neither is Raffl. Lecavalier doesn't want to learn anything new so I think Schenn needs to be given the opportunity to show his potential. Time to sink or swim. If it isn't Schenn, then I would put Read there. We need a shooter on that line with Jake and G. 

Depends on your definition of "adequate". He'll win more than he loses, but his days are numbered. His lateral movement was exposed last year and I expect teams will take advantage of that. 

I didn't see anything last year that would lead me to believe that he can't be as good if not better this year. I expect another solid year. No worries in net.

No, not going to happen. I would be very surprised to see either of them in a Philly uniform this and possibly ever considering the young crop we are developing now. Their windows of opportunity are rapidly closing in Philly.  

Yes, I believe that he will. He may start in the AHL, but I believe that he will eventually get called up and then won't go back down.

I would like to see both of them make the team. I really would like to see Akeson make it. He displays hockey smarts and patience with the puck that a lot of guys don't have. He reminds me of a young Danny Briere and he had quite a career, so i hope that Akeson gets a shot. Raffl needs to start showing some finish or he will be our fourth line center, which is not really a bad thing. That said I would like to see more from him.  

Archived