Ice girls

AbelMorpheus

So, I recently read that the Flyers have eliminated the Ice Girls from the game time routine. Unfortunately it appears they have replaced them with guys... I wish there was an eye rolling icon. Please don't tell me Philly becomes the first team with rink twinks.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so stupid. What are the Flyers trying to be politically correct or what? Ice guys..get the Foutta here... ridiculous. The ice girls looked great and they're a perfect complement to the sport - all the hard-hitting action on the ice...and then a short break for some eye candy. What's wrong with that?

Seriously does anyone know why the Flyers replaced the ice girls with ice guys? Did some group really have a problem with girls in short dresses sweeping the ice? Were they pressured by some womens group or the ACLU or what?

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2014/06/poor_working_conditions_for_flyers_ice_girls_highlighted_in_report.html

I don't know if they are gone for good. But this may have something to do with it.

This is some of the shitiest reporting I've read in a long time. First he got his info from motherjones. Should tell you something right there. Second, there are no names of ice girls that said these things. It's "one ice girl told me" or "a former ice girl told me" or "one said she had to hide hotdogs"

I just hope articles like this did not weigh in on their decision.

I can't stand the pc crowd

P.S. I'd like to see where she hide the hotdogs.

@AbelMorpheus

The Flyers organization overreacted to this Mother Jones article written in June

Some comments from that article:

In early 2012, the Flyers took part in a three-day outdoor festival and game called the Winter Classic. "It was 20 degrees and we were in shorts, with two pairs of stockings," a former ice girl told me. Depending on the day, they spent six to nine hours outdoors: "It really felt like we were in some kind of torture camp." Said another: "I've never been so cold in my life."

The Flyers women agreed that they weren't too cold out on the ice during regular games—they had to skate around for a few minutes in scant clothing, but they were full of adrenaline and could don a jacket when they left the ice. The bigger issue was "doing doors"—greeting fans as they entered the stadium. "When we're standing at doors for an hour and it's zero degrees and the doors keep opening," said one woman, "that's my biggest bone to pick."

also:
During the Winter Classic, the Flyers ice team was not allowed to eat in public, despite the cold and the long hours. One squad member said she "had to sneak into a restaurant, get food, and hide in the back of somebody’s pickup truck" to eat it. Another ice girl befriended a woman who sold hot dogs and snuck her into the back room of her concession area so that she could eat.

The Kings women added that they were also prohibited from eating in uniform; the only place in the stadium they were allowed to eat was the locker room. If they were offered food at a corporate or charity event, "We'd have to go in a back corner," one woman said, "where we couldn't be seen."

The Flyers women had professional makeup people and hair stylists, but they made significantly less money—$50 for about seven hours of work on game day.

So the Fans have reacted with boos:

I think it was a foolish move by the organization to remove the ice girls. There is no reason why the women couldn't clean the ice in similar attire as the men.

I agree with HF..if the issue was their attire, just change it!  Don't get rid of them completely.  I feel bad that the ice dudes are getting booed...not their fault.  However, I hope the booing persists all season until the team changes their mind.

This is a direct quote from a former Flyers ice girl when I asked whose decision was it:

I inquired about tryouts & my direct supervisor told me the Flyers wouldn't have Ice Girls as part of in-arena entertainment

What self-respecting man would do something like this anyway??  How embarrassing for them.  Watching that video actually made me uncomfortable for them.  I'm surprised, though I probably shouldn't be in this day and age, that they were even able to find guys willing to do this.  You just can't have dudes doing this - it's impossible to follow the ice girls' act.  I'll go back into my cave now!

What self-respecting man would do something like this anyway??  How embarrassing for them.  Watching that video actually made me uncomfortable for them.  I'm surprised, though I probably shouldn't be in this day and age, that they were even able to find guys willing to do this.  You just can't have dudes doing this - it's impossible to follow the ice girls' act.  I'll go back into my cave now!

Last year the group cleaning the ice was composed of both guys and girls.  I have no issue with that.  This problem can easily be solved with one uniform style for both genders.

Willing to do what? Clean up some snow off the ice? I'd rather see the cute girls too, but what exactly are these guys doing that is so humiliating?

I agree!

80450524.jpg

Does this guy have other characters/outfits? I completely forgot about this, but he looks like a guy a former coworker used to get a kick out of. He is a bizarre guy to begin with, but found this dude's website and would just laugh and obsess over it all day.

@fanaticV3.0 -- Maybe it's the context that's embarrassing (and I'd use the word embarrassing rather than humiliating) and not the actual work.  I do appreciate the actual work that is done - these gals play an important role in keeping the ice clean.  The game wouldn't be what it is without them.  They can skate and even make it look easy and attractive doing it.  What, to me, is embarrassing is for these guys to have to come out and to try to fill the skates of these girls, women or ladies, if you prefer.  I know I sound sexist, but that's just my opinion.  This job has always belonged to the girls.  It's like some guy coming in and trying to do the work of a stewardess on an airplane -- also not an easy job to do but one that was traditionally and historically seen as belonging to a woman.  I know, I know.....equal opportunity and all that......times have changed......I should be more sensitive......men can do anything a woman can do.  I know all the arguments.  But watching these guy stewardesses on airplanes still makes me uncomfortable too.  It's my hang-up.  Personally, I wouldn't be willing to do it - mostly because my skating is a little rusty these days.  I wouldn't be willing to do it because of the nature of the work but because of the fact that the job has not been viewed as one traditionally being a man's.  Perhaps to some not an appropriate or politically correct point of view these days, but mine none-the-less.

@fanaticV3.0 -- Maybe it's the context that's embarrassing (and I'd use the word embarrassing rather than humiliating) and not the actual work.  I do appreciate the actual work that is done - these gals play an important role in keeping the ice clean.  The game wouldn't be what it is without them.  They can skate and even make it look easy and attractive doing it.  What, to me, is embarrassing is for these guys to have to come out and to try to fill the skates of these girls, women or ladies, if you prefer.  I know I sound sexist, but that's just my opinion.  This job has always belonged to the girls.  It's like some guy coming in and trying to do the work of a stewardess on an airplane -- also not an easy job to do but one that was traditionally and historically seen as belonging to a woman.  I know, I know.....equal opportunity and all that......times have changed......I should be more sensitive......men can do anything a woman can do.  I know all the arguments.  But watching these guy stewardesses on airplanes still makes me uncomfortable too.  It's my hang-up.  Personally, I wouldn't be willing to do it - mostly because my skating is a little rusty these days.  I wouldn't be willing to do it because of the nature of the work but because of the fact that the job has not been viewed as one traditionally being a man's.  Perhaps to some not an appropriate or politically correct point of view these days, but mine none-the-less.

But they're not being sold as eye candy. If they were, and considering it's mostly men at the games, that would be a little embarrassing/bizarre/politically correct. I agree. As it stands now though, they are just doing a job.People are free to boo. I take no issue with it. It's actually kind of funny if you ask me, but I got nothing against the guys doing it.

I don't understand your "women did it first" angle though. What does that mean? Do women contractors, construction workers, and professional fighters bother you because they were male industries first?

I appreciate beautiful women as much as the next guy however when I am at the games I am so locked and loaded on the game and the outcome that I could honestly care less who cleans the ice.  In fact I always felt it was a bit over the top and gimicky like the in game announcer that we are subjected to.  I truly miss the old days of 30 sec commercial breaks that were filled with organ music rather than Shawny Hill telling us what Flyers gear we need to buy.  

Archived