Flyers shopping The Good Schenn

brelic

Interesting to say the least. I wonder if it has any serious legs. I wouldn't be surprised - though I admit that this could easily be a JVR redux trade depending on the return.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi141019.html

The Philadelphia Flyers are actively scouring the trade market in hopes of improve their current roster and have more than defensemen to deal.
It has been widely reported that the Flyers are dangling the likes of Luke Schenn, Braydon Coburn and Nicklas Grossman.

While all three defensemen are still available, multiple sources have told TFP the Flyers have also made forward Brayden Schenn, Luke's brother, available.
Brayden Schenn was taken off of the team's top line earlier this week after a short stint and the team is believed to be shopping the 23-year-old, as GM Ron Hextall would like to add a top-six forward to play alongside Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek.

Citing a league source, TFP Senior Writer Dennis Bernstein first reported Brayden Schenn's availability during Saturday afternoon's TFP LIVE show on NHL Network Radio on SiriusXM.

The Flyers are off to a disappointing start to the season, despite Saturday night's 6-5 overtime win over the Dallas Stars.

Hextall has been exploring the market for a top-six forward, but would also like to strengthen his defensive corps, though he would likely replace Brayden Schenn if he were shipped out.

The Flyers acquired Brayden Schenn, along with Wayne Simmonds and a 2012 second-round draft pick on June 23, 2011 from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for Mike Richards and the rights to Rob Bordson.

Drafted fifth-overall by the Kings in 2009, Brayden Schenn has collected 41 goals and 49 assists for 90 points in 197 games, to date, with the Kings and Flyers.

Call me crazy, but if, say, you could move Schenn and Coburn for the Oilers' #1 pick in 2015 for a shot at McDavid or Eichel... man, oh man.

Our team would be seriously impacted by dealing those guys and not replacing them. It would basically force Laughton or Vandevelde or someone like that to make the jump full time, plus a defenseman like Manning or Alt (or you have Shultz fulltime).

We would end up with two VERY HIGH 1st round draft picks because we probably wouldn't win a lot of hockey games.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me crazy, but if, say, you could move Schenn and Coburn for the Oilers' #1 pick in 2015 for a shot at McDavid or Eichel... man, oh man.

I can't see that as enough payment for that pick however i'd also rather swap Luke for Coburn in that trade just get rid of both at once. My preference.

I don't generally like the idea of a plan that hinges on future returns (picks and prospects, that is... If they are part of a larger trade, that's one thing, the POINT of a trade, though, I'm not a fan)... But, maybe the organization needs a roll of the dice that might bring a real shot in the arm down the road a bit. Maybe it is a good idea to start losing the pieces that are not part of the go-forward plan, and test driving what is currently in the cupboard. I have spent a bunch of time recently talking about the kids need to earn their way in, but I'm starting to feel like this team is on pause until *something* happens and the next chapter starts. Maybe it is time to throw some things at the wall to what sticks over the next year. And do it with a large chance at the closest thing to "can't miss" that has been around in a while. I dunno, I might be excited to see what happens after all.

I can't see that as enough payment for that pick however i'd also rather swap Luke for Coburn in that trade just get rid of both at once. My preference.

Edmonton HAS to be over high draft picks. Somehow, they are managing to embarras themselves even more this season. I'm sure the price will be high due to other teams wanting that likely high pick, but the oilers themselves have to be valuing roster players over prospects at this point. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Coburn and B schenn were enough for them. Both would probably be big upgrades over what they currently have in the #2 C and 1st pair slots. Their record this season would improve for it, and I don't know they are looking a whole lot further down the road than that. Getting out of the basement for the first time in almost a decade would be an end unto itself

I think I would be happy if they packaged both Schenns' together. I am all for giving Brayden Schenn a fair chance to prove his worth but just how long does he get? Schenn is the least noticeable forward on the ice on any given night no matter where he is playing. He is generally not making bad plays but he is not sticking out for good plays either......

Edmonton HAS to be over high draft picks. Somehow, they are managing to embarras themselves even more this season. I'm sure the price will be high due to other teams wanting that likely high pick, but the oilers themselves have to be valuing roster players over prospects at this point. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Coburn and B schenn were enough for them. Both would probably be big upgrades over what they currently have in the #2 C and 1st pair slots. Their record this season would improve for it, and I don't know they are looking a whole lot further down the road than that. Getting out of the basement for the first time in almost a decade would be an end unto itself

Yes possibly. But to do that and move Coburn would surely be conceding the season....and them being stuck with Luke and Nick as parts of the blueline. That i can't stomach. So i'd rather hold onto Coburn and move Brayden and Luke if someone wants them i'd listen to offers for McDud and GrossmanN either. I'm just not ready to move the best experienced defenseman able to play on the team not yet to early in the season to concede.

Package both Schenns AND Coburn for Edmonton's first pick and a scrub defenseman.

The Flyers' defense has looked exactly the same with and without Coburn: bad. So, if it seals the deal, do it without blinking.

Bring up Laughton and either Ghost or Hagg and call it a day. If you have a shot at McDavid, you take it.

There might younger players now that might be had. Gormley I hear wants out would be good. Any other names also don't want season to be for not. That is a Pens thing we played to win cup not to wait it out. If it was later in year we were out of it do it then not now.

Howdy:

i would think just about anyone on the parent squad other than Voracek, G, and Simmonds is expendable.  This is a "transition" team. I concur with others that speeding that up may be critical.

I also wonder about goal.  Granted, our D has been porous. But I am hoping that Mason is not regressing to the mean.  

Bottom line: I could see trades sooner rather than later, but still think that the Turkey Day-Christmas as the divide. It is still too soon to judge all parts. But a month to six weeks will be revealing.

Howie

I wonder if B Schenn isn't a Hextall guy?..Hextall was in the Kings org when the trade happened...maybe Ron was never up on the hype.

And in general this seems to be a bonified case where the prospects hype outpaces performance by so much there is nearly no way to meet expectations . Some times a guy gets hot at the right time and is never that good again, maybe that was Brayden at the world juniors.

If the Flyers are to trade him it needs to be for a player that makes an impact and will be part of the long term plan...they are not proving to be very patient with growing pains.

If the Flyers are to trade him it needs to be for a player that makes an impact and will be part of the long term plan...they are not proving to be very patient with growing pains.

They never have been. Yet isn't it their M.O. to land a guy and then try to play him out of position. Brayden isn't a winger no matter how hard they press it.

I'd imagine they'll grow impatient and move him sometime soon what the return will be i will not venture to guess.

I'd give the 23 yr old coming off a 20 goal season sometime on the same line and position before passing ultimate judgment

Take all the time you want to find out he's not a winger. Not sure the Flyer brass will do the same. Especially with this blueline in this shape. I'm sure they'd rather move Vinny but no one wants Vinny.

I'd give the 23 yr old coming off a 20 goal season sometime on the same line and position before passing ultimate judgment

Take all the time you want to find out he's not a winger. Not sure the Flyer brass will do the same. Especially with this blueline in this shape. I'm sure they'd rather move Vinny but no one wants Vinny.

You have to admit, OR, that Claude has a point.  I'm as impatient with him as you are and also realize he is NOT a left winger.  But a guy scores 20 goals and 41 points (.5 ppg) in what was really his first full season and we're running him out of town.   It does have a bit of JVR to it (although I'm still okay in that case).  

I, too, would rather move VLC Sucks™ but we're not going to get much for him from an Edmonton.  If we're making a calculated move to reset and move forward and Schenn gets you the top pick, I pull that trigger and celebrate and do a dance.   Given the second chance, I do it all over again. 

I don't think Schenn is as good as the hype, but I also don't think he's as bad as we make him out.  But he is, therefore, a moveable player that could be used to more appropriately fill a need.

You have to admit, OR, that Claude has a point. I'm as impatient with him as you are and also realize he is NOT a left winger. But a guy scores 20 goals and 41 points (.5 ppg) in what was really his first full season and we're running him out of town. It does have a bit of JVR to it (although I'm still okay in that case).

I, too, would rather move VLC Sucks™ but we're not going to get much for him from an Edmonton. If we're making a calculated move to reset and move forward and Schenn gets you the top pick, I pull that trigger and celebrate and do a dance. Given the second chance, I do it all over again.

I don't think Schenn is as good as the hype, but I also don't think he's as bad as we make him out. But he is, therefore, a moveable player that could be used to more appropriately fill a need.

Agreed on current state, disagree with trading for picks. Come hell or high water, I want to see the Flyers actually develop some players on their roster. This means Schenn and Couturier. Otherwise, even having Edmonton's run of picks won't help if the pro team cannot develop prospects.

But he is, therefore, a moveable player that could be used to more appropriately fill a need.

What is that need? A top line winger with 30-goal potential? We had one, gave him away, now Schenn can easily be one too in a few years, and we want to give him away.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your post in the sense that if you can move Schenn for a shot at a 1st round pick in the upcoming draft or very high value assets, you do it. But I think it's short-sighted to think that Schenn can't become the very exact thing we need over the course of the next few years.

I don't think Schenn is really worthy of the hype either (though that hype is gone since he actually, you know, had to play games and live up to it) - but I have no doubt that he can score 30 goals in this league.

Much of what Rux said.

It would all depend on the potential return...whatever adds another piece of the long term puzzle, because all of the centers we currently have cannot be part of that.  Really, if he could net us a 'natural' left winger with a similar pedigree or better?  Let alone what will be Edmonton's 1st this year??  Outside of 28,17, & 93, are you frikkin kidding??

Bring up Laughton and either Ghost or Hagg and call it a day. If you have a shot at McDavid, you take it.

Yup. **** it. What do you have to lose? They don't have a shot at anything. Might as well tank like the pens getting Lemiuexe / Crosby / Jagr.

What is that need? A top line winger with 30-goal potential? We had one, gave him away, now Schenn can easily be one too in a few years, and we want to give him away.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your post in the sense that if you can move Schenn for a shot at a 1st round pick in the upcoming draft or very high value assets, you do it. But I think it's short-sighted to think that Schenn can't become the very exact thing we need over the course of the next few years.

I don't think Schenn is really worthy of the hype either (though that hype is gone since he actually, you know, had to play games and live up to it) - but I have no doubt that he can score 30 goals in this league.

Yeah, I agree with much of that.  I'm kind of in the process of a 180 because I've been preaching patience myself.  But I do not see Schenn becoming a winger.  I mean, it's certainly possible, but I've seen nothing that says he's good on the wing.   And he's behind a log jam of players at center (either presently on the team or coming up some day --Laughton).  So, if I can move him for a piece that more naturally fits (whether winger, dman, or insanely high pick) I think I'd be inclined to do it.  

I do think if Schenn goes to a team where he has a set role (2nd line center) he could prove to be a valuable asset for someone.  I could see him doing 30g 70pts from the 2nd line center role.  I just sadly don't see that happening with any consistency on the Flyers.

But I do not see Schenn becoming a winger.  I mean, it's certainly possible, but I've seen nothing that says he's good on the wing.   And he's behind a log jam of players at center (either presently on the team or coming up some day --Laughton).

to quietly beat the horse, you've seen nothing that says schenn is good on the wing...have you seen anything that says he'd be good at center?  is it really the position that is the problem, or is it schenn in general not transitioning from junior to the NHL as well as was hoped, and the position thing is kind of irrelevant?

it's just every time i hear the position thing as regards schenn, i can't help but wonder what, exactly, would make him more effective in the middle of the ice.  if he were an elite possession guy who was amazing on faceoffs and was an exceptional passer, i'd agree his skillset isn't being used to the fullest on the wing.  but none of those things are the case.  he is a shooter who likes to work the boards/corners.  i can't see where the big bump in contribution/production would come from by sliding him 30 feet to the right and making him responsible for his line's puck distribution.

@ruxpin and @aziz

The thing I see the most with Schenn is lack of compete level. He just doesn't seem to be hungry the way some other players are. Giroux is hungry for the puck, Voracek is hungry for the puck. Rinaldo is hungry for the puck. Schenn has the tools to produce at the same level of guys like Voracek and Giroux, but I just don't get the sense that he wants it as badly as other players who might have lesser talent, but overachieve.

There ya go - I talked myself in circles to arrive at the conclusion that Schenn is an underachiever.

That could change, of course. Success has a way of doing that - so if he can get into a stable situation in terms of position and linemates, maybe he can get some of that success, which fuels the desire for more.

That's a whole lotta "ifs" though.

And despite all of that, I still believe he can score 30 goals in this league.

The thing I see the most with Schenn is lack of compete level. He just doesn't seem to be hungry the way some other players are

Good point Brel and this is what I see and I believe is the cause of his inconsistency...     He has to learn what a true "compete level" is about...

Archived