Steve Montador Dead at 35

JagerMeister

Former NHL player Steve Montador found dead at his Mississauga home

Mississauga News
By Jason Spencer 
MISSISSAUGA – Former NHL player Steven Montador was found dead inside his Mississauga home early Sunday morning, according to Peel Regional Police.

Police said a female friend woke up at 2 a.m. to find Montador deceased. She contacted police and he was pronounced dead just after 2:30 a.m. at his residence.

"Foul play is not suspected, pending the outcome of an autopsy," said Const. Fiona Thivierge, a Peel police spokesperson.

At this time, Thivierge said, the incident is being treated as a sudden death investigation, not a criminal investigation.

Born in Vancouver, the 350year-old began his NHL career with the Calgary Flames in 2001-02.

He went on to play defence for a number of NHL teams including the Carolina Panthers, Boston Bruins, Anaheim Ducks, Buffalo Sabres and Chicago Blackhawks.

He last played in the NHL during 2011-12 season for Chicago and suffered a season-ending concussion.

He went on to play for the American Hockey League's Rockford Icedogs the next year before moving to the Kontinental Hockey League for the 2013-14 season.

Next of kin has been notified.

http://www.mississauga.com/news-story/5340184-former-nhl-player-steve-montador-found-dead-at-his-mississauga-home/

I didn't know a ton about him, but his name is familiar to me as he was one of the players on the Calgary Flames when they faced off against the Lightning in the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals.

And I do seem to remember that Calgary team being a very rugged, tough team to play against....and Montador was certainly one of the guys who made the team that way.

RIP.

35 is far too young....far too young.

I didn't know a ton about him, but his name is familiar to me as he was one of the players on the Calgary Flames when they faced off against the Lightning in the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals.

And I do seem to remember that Calgary team being a very rugged, tough team to play against....and Montador was certainly one of the guys who made the team that way.

RIP.

35 is far too young....far too young.

I remember him playing really well in that series. A warrior.

@JR Ewing

I had to read your post twice. At first i thought you were just taking a shot at a calgary Flame (which would be in poor taste but also understandable since you're fan of their big rival) Then I saw the age thing. 

This board has accepted bad taste since its inception...don't ever change.

R.I.P  Mr. Montador...I think he was a pretty well liked guy by most of his teammates.

@JR Ewing

I had to read your post twice. At first i thought you were just taking a shot at a calgary Flame (which would be in poor taste but also understandable since you're fan of their big rival) Then I saw the age thing. 

This board has accepted bad taste since its inception...don't ever change.

Yeah, that's just it: I was making light of the quoted typo, and not the man's death.

For what it's worth, I've never taken a shot at other teams, their players or their fans, so if I were ever to start, it wouldn't be over a person's death. Maybe I'm in a minority, but I'm not bothered by those sorts of things, even if the club is a division rival. I've bumped into annoying rival fans, but man... I've bumped into enough annoying fans of my team, too.

R.I.P  Mr. Montador...I think he was a pretty well liked guy by most of his teammates.

Indeed.

I remember him playing really well in that series. A warrior.

Totally agree, very unrated tough guy who left it all on the ice everytime he played. If it is proven that concussions helped cause his dismise, the NHL should do the right thing and take care of his widow.

'Steve Montador ‘knew he was going to pass away early'

After reading this - wow - it kinda gives me that eery feeling that his death is part of a greater purpose.  Suicide and foul play have been ruled out, the cause of death won't be determined until the results of the autopsy are completed

So it should come as no surprise that Steve Montador was extremely proactive about dealing with the concussion problems that ended his career and brought on depression issues, to the point where Montador decided a couple of years ago to donate his brain after his death to the Canadian Sports Concussion Project, which is headed up by Tator. The doctor will examine Montador’s brain and be able to determine whether he suffered from Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative disease that can only be diagnosed postmortem and is associated with repeated concussions.

“He probably thought he was going to live a long life and he said a couple of years ago, ‘My brain is yours’ ” Dr. Tator said. “We certainly don’t ask for premature donations. We want these people to live long lives, but unfortunately that isn’t the case here.”

“We all talked about it a lot because we both had concussions as kids,” Chris said. “My dad had a very big influence on my brother to seek out answers and my brother was proactive in everything he did.”

In fact, Chris Montador now wonders what effect all the research his brother was doing on his concussion issues had on him. Chris said his brother was constantly asking questions and former teammates and friends say Montador left no stone unturned in his quest for answers, travelling all over North America to seek the opinion of experts. Looking back now, Chris isn’t sure his brother wasn’t overloaded and overwhelmed with all the information he was getting.

“He did so much research and talked to so many people, I think he came to the conclusion, ‘I may never be normal again,’ “ Chris said. “He talked to so many doctors and trainers and when he realized he might never be normal, that probably freaked him out. He put on a good face at family events, but I know deep down he wasn’t himself.”

Montador’s funeral will be held Saturday afternoon and his family has asked for donations to be made to one of Right to Play, Parachute Canada or the Canadian Sports Concussion Research Project.

“My brother would want (the concussion issue) to be at the forefront,” Chris said. “And my family would be the first ones to say, ‘Let’s get this out there.’ “

Don Cherry tries to somehow pin his death on the instigator rule, the decline of fighting in the NHL, and/or the use of visors....

Had to chuckle at that one!   I love Don Cherry. I think he's a shoe in for the Hall of fame in the near future. I guess I'm not the only one who feels that way....lol.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=686856

Not only should Don be in the Hall of Fame, he should do it in multiple categories.

1)Player....never made an NHL impact, but it's not an NHL award, it's supposed to be all encompassing, even welcoming Euros who never stepped on an NHL rink. Don won a Memorial Cup with the Barrie Flyers (think that was actually their last one...but at least they don't cheat (1953)  :ph34r:.  He also won 4 Calder Cups, back when winning the Calder Cup was a big thing. Definately the unsung hero type of thing going on here. Got the absolute most out of a limited skill set.....through hard work and a vicious approach to the game.

2)Bulider....the perfect ambassador for the game. What better way to build and solidify the game than having your very own platform to launch tirades and theories on the game? Coachs Corner is a little slice of Canada in a 2 minute segment.

C)Coach...successful record, trips to the finals.....I'd have to look up his total wins, but hey, if he's going in under the other 2 cats....might as well throw him a bone. Didn't win the Cup, but was one of the most beloved, colorful coaches to ever grace the back of the bench.

He is remembered as a Sabre as much as anything.  He  is being recognized and remembered in Buffalo.  He did his job for our team

Perhaps people will view things differently depending on how long they've been watching, but when I think of Steve Montador, I think Calgary Flames and even Florida Panther after that.

Not only did he start his NHL career with the Flames, but he spent the most time there in terms of seasons (though not necessarily games played) and was one of the reasons those Flames teams worked their way to becoming a very tough, aggressive defensive group culminating with a Western Conference Championship and SC Finals appearance the year before he left.

Then, his time in Florida, though less in seasons, but more games played, combined with his previous tenure in Calgary, REALLY put him on the map as a guy teams wanted if they were interested in tough, no nonsense, defense first player.

After that, is when you had other teams, including Buffalo, that were after his services.

Not saying you are wrong to remember him as a Sabre, but just pointing out its all in the eye of the beholder in his case.

And to me, he was made with Calgary then Florida, but the flaming 'C' and Montador go together in my mind.

Archived