RJ done for season with hip and abdominal surgery

AJgoal

There were absolutely more than a handful of people.  There were some -- I think I was one -- that was okay with the contract trade.   I wasn't okay with the player-for-player part despite not being a big fan of Hartnell.

Yip. i remember saying we'd like it once Umbergers contract runs out and hartnells still being paid, but that Philly just got easier to play against. I took flack from a few for saying that...they thought Umberger was an upgrade.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Polaris - just so I understand you dont think Umberger will score 30 goals?     ;)  :confused[1]:  ;)

ZEV5bGZnZHdFblEx_o_brian-campbell-destro

Who knows... maybe they were posting from 2008.  They might have had a point. 

Joking aside, Hartnell is on the books for 2 years longer than Umberger and those will be important years for which Hextall will need extra cap relief. 

It really didn't matter what he got back as far as the quality of the player.  Hexy needs to resign some guys in another 2 years.

Even as it is, it's going to be tough.  It would have been a gamble, but I would have kept Hartsy and tried to trade him at the deadline.  There were enough lines in the water that someone would have been willing to bite on his contract.

But then again, with Hartnell still in town instead of Umberger this team may have actually been in playoff position (it's possible... Umberger really has under-produced that much) and if that were the case, I don't think Hexy would have been allowed to trade anyone of quality.  So it's a tough call really. 

Hindsight is 20/20 and that sucks.

I think the hindsight thing is definitely true...   Although, as we were all discussing, there were a lot of people on this  board that thought it was actually a great trade - both contract and player.   I remember getting hammered from numerous people b/c I hated the trade.  Again, I like the shorter term but RJ is done... he was done last year.

I think aziz actually said he would score 30 goals! LOL!

I think the hindsight thing is definitely true...   Although, as we were all discussing, there were a lot of people on this  board that thought it was actually a great trade - both contract and player.   I remember getting hammered from numerous people b/c I hated the trade.  Again, I like the shorter term but RJ is done... he was done last year.

I think aziz actually said he would score 30 goals! LOL!

I don't know what they were thinking.

Aziz is usually a bit more coherent than that.

The best case scenario is that this Cam Lesions thing is actually addressed and he heals, rehabs and can actually play better as a result.  If your abs are out of wack, you really can't play hockey.  I would have thought Hextall would have realized this.

BUT then again that will be two seasons in which RJ has been inhibited by this injury and he'll be 33.  what kind of hockey do you play when you're 33 and you've been off your game for 2 years even if you're physically fit again?  yet another reason it would have made sense to repair this damn thing right away and move on.  At least then he could still be a question mark instead of an assumed negative.

Realistically the guy's been off his game since 2012.  Not sure why anyone thought bringing him here would change that. Maybe they were joking?

Who knows... maybe they were posting from 2008.  They might have had a point. 

Joking aside, Hartnell is on the books for 2 years longer than Umberger and those will be important years for which Hextall will need extra cap relief. 

It really didn't matter what he got back as far as the quality of the player.  Hexy needs to resign some guys in another 2 years.

Even as it is, it's going to be tough.  It would have been a gamble, but I would have kept Hartsy and tried to trade him at the deadline.  There were enough lines in the water that someone would have been willing to bite on his contract.

But then again, with Hartnell still in town instead of Umberger this team may have actually been in playoff position (it's possible... Umberger really has under-produced that much) and if that were the case, I don't think Hexy would have been allowed to trade anyone of quality.  So it's a tough call really. 

IF--IF---Hextall knew this year was going to be an abortion, he should have kept Hartnell and traded him at the deadline.  He'd have gotten a first or second round pick out of it, anyway. Maybe even a prospect in addition to the draft pick.

Instead, he got Sir Suckalot

IF--IF---Hextall knew this year was going to be an abortion, he should have kept Hartnell and traded him at the deadline.  He'd have gotten a first or second round pick out of it, anyway. Maybe even a prospect in addition to the draft pick.

I've seen this idea several times, and it's pretty unlikely. More likely result is the Flyers are sitting in the eighth spot - Hartnell's 12 additional goals and 33 additional points vs. Umberger's total has to be worth at least 5 more points to the Flyers this season - They have 15 OT/SO losses this year, gotta figure Hartnell would pot an extra goal in 5 or 6 of those. So the Flyers aren't selling at the deadline, so they're not getting a first or second rounder for Hartnell. Probably not getting a first rounder for Coburn, either. If they manage to hold on rather than spiral out of the playoff picture as they have since the deadline, they're heading for another first round matchup with the Rangers with essentially the same club as last year, while the Rangers have taken over the top spot in the NHL without Lundqvist.

I think I thought Umberger would be "more versatile" than Hartnell, that was based on my memory of him from his time here, however, I also heeded Yave1964's take on him being spent since he watched a lot of CBJ games and is kind of a closet fan the way pods likes the Jets.

I also thought and posted several times that Hartnell would be missed in more ways than the score sheet and that has proven to be true.

Umberger was not good this year at any point.

He may want to consider hanging them up at this point.

He's a nice guy, i don't want him to play hockey for my favorite team anymore though.

IF--IF---Hextall knew this year was going to be an abortion, he should have kept Hartnell and traded him at the deadline. He'd have gotten a first or second round pick out of it, anyway. Maybe even a prospect in addition to the draft pick.

But why trade for and insist on dressing a cheonically injured umby if you're not planning to suck this year?

Trade for him to get the money off the books 2 yeRs sooner sure but why play him? Either he's hurt and doesn't play well and the team's worse as a result or you play someone else instead and the team's worse as a result with a bit more cap breathing room thanks to the LTIR.

Granted it's temp cap room that could screw you on any more than a one year contract, but still.

I just don't see why they made him play all year when it was obvious it wasn't working and the injury was problematic.

Wreckless wild theory:

We'll call it the nice guy theory. so let's assume umberger's just done. They gave him this year to try to play through it and next year to try to rehab so the insurance pays for that. Third year, he retires getting Hexy is out one year sooner while buying umby 2 years of income he wouldn't have had if Columbus waived him or forced him into surgery this year.

Okay stupid theory. Anyone got a legit one?

I think I thought Umberger would be "more versatile" than Hartnell, that was based on my memory of him from his time here, however, I also heeded Yave1964's take on him being spent since he watched a lot of CBJ games and is kind of a closet fan the way pods likes the Jets.

I also thought and posted several times that Hartnell would be missed in more ways than the score sheet and that has proven to be true.

He's a nice guy, i don't want him to play hockey for my favorite team anymore though.

Would you hang them up? Two more years of 4plus million just for showing up and trying?

You'll probably get to ride out a lot of it in the press box eating pop corn.

Embarrassing maybe but that's 9 million dollars almost. You could mock me every day for two years for that. Gladly!

Would you hang them up? Two more years of 4plus million just for showing up and trying?

You'll probably get to ride out a lot of it in the press box eating pop corn.

Embarrassing maybe but that's 9 million dollars almost. You could mock me every day for two years for that. Gladly!

I agree... Unless Hextall buys him out he will be on the roster next year.

That just about sums up my line of thinking...agree with all of that.

• 2 months later...

Hey some good news if you can imagine anything about the Flyers and RJ being good news.

“It’s coming up on 11 weeks since my surgery and I couldn’t be happier with the progress I’m making and the strength I’m getting back.” said Umberger. “I basically totally rebuilt my core system. I’m strengthening my hip, my back and it’s been a good process.”

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=769499&navid=DL|PHI|home

For those that care...it would be nice since it seems they are stuck with him 2 more years for them to get some more use out of him. So i'm hoping his injury was the main reason all of us was so disappointed in his play...hey it's about all we got....cross your fingers for a better RJ in 2015!!!!

Hey some good news if you can imagine anything about the Flyers and RJ being good news.

“It’s coming up on 11 weeks since my surgery and I couldn’t be happier with the progress I’m making and the strength I’m getting back.” said Umberger. “I basically totally rebuilt my core system. I’m strengthening my hip, my back and it’s been a good process.”

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=769499&navid=DL|PHI|home

For those that care...it would be nice since it seems they are stuck with him 2 more years for them to get some more use out of him. So i'm hoping his injury was the main reason all of us was so disappointed in his play...hey it's about all we got....cross your fingers for a better RJ in 2015!!!!

It's very possible. Both he and Reed looked way off all year. People complain about Luke, Vinny and Mac, but no one in the team looked more useless to me than Reed and Umberger.

What I can't figure out is if they KNEW he had this problem (and they did) why not friggin LTIR him and get come cap room and have him start his recovery that much sooner. I think by December it was painfully obvious something was really wrong.

Reed's "injuries" like mAson's we're recoverable and not LTIR worthy, but Umby would have qualified. I don't get it. How does an injured Umberger playing that badly help you in your fictional bid for the playoffs more than a healthy rookie or phantom?

I believe they even knew he had some forms of injury prior to finalizing their trade.

I agree why they didn't LTIR his ass and use his cap space for someone (rental) useful for the playoff run or something is beyond me. Oh well heres to hoping he is better than last year.

Oh well heres to hoping he is better than last year.

And that's the key, really.  I just can't see how he *can't* be even marginally better.  He was a handicap last season and should not have allowed to play. 

The Flyers' medical staff is made up of total morons.

I agree why they didn't LTIR his ass and use his cap space for someone (rental) useful for the playoff run or something is beyond me. Oh well heres to hoping he is better than last year.

playoff run?

ha...

Archived