The most unmotivated Flyer's team ever assembled?

The Quigster

Ya, Giroux is the one who has to go. But make sure we keep that leadership group of Vinnie, Umberger, MacDonald who collectively make twice as much, have less points and bring absolutely nothing to the team.

Giroux may not be the best captain in the league, but he certainly isn't close to being the teams biggest problem. 

Greetings:

Please see my thread on last night's game versus Calgary.  I don't think the problem is compete level.  We have a talent problem.  This team is not built for the New NHL.  We have to pray that Hextall will see that and aim in for a faster squad with skill on three to four lines.  The problem is much deeper than the D.  We can't sustain an offense.  After competing with Calgary for one period we were slowly but surely run over. Parent and/or Jesus could have been in goal.  A Pronger-type might have helped...but only a little.  And as Rad noted--Calgary's payroll is 15 million less.  We need a West Coast style group of players and a coach who can put that group to good use.  I just don't think we have the talent needed for this league.  And that's why I suspect next year will be a mess as well, because we need to jettison so much.

Peace,

Howie

Please see my thread on last night's game versus Calgary.  I don't think the problem is compete level.  We have a talent problem.  This team is not built for the New NHL.  We have to pray that Hextall will see that and aim in for a faster squad with skill on three to four lines.  The problem is much deeper than the D.  We can't sustain an offense.  After competing with Calgary for one period we were slowly but surely run over. Parent and/or Jesus could have been in goal.  A Pronger-type might have helped...but only a little.  And as Rad noted--Calgary's payroll is 15 million less.  We need a West Coast style group of players and a coach who can put that group to good use.  I just don't think we have the talent needed for this league.  And that's why I suspect next year will be a mess as well, because we need to jettison so much.

I also took from your other post that we may not be in good enough shape to stay with it for 60 min. We looks slow at times. I'm watching Jets games much more these days and the contrast between them and the Flyers in terms speed, tenacity etc could not be more great. Is it speed, is it effort, is it poor positional play (terrible puck support vs excellent with the Jets)?The only thing for certain is that the Flyers are a mess.

Professionalism is something missing with this group,starting with Giroux! Hopefully wholesale changes will be made in the off season,acquiring a real leader in the process.

I don't think the "leaders" have much confidence in the organization or the coach.

Neither do I.

If they start by replacing Berube, I'll feel better and the team will play better in all likelihood.

The writing is in the wall for them at this point and I think it's natural for there to be a bit of a let down. Also, every loss is to the team's ultimate advantage at this point.

You never want to see lethargy and apathy, but I also hate when this team isn't good enough to make the playoffs but isn't bad enough to draft well.

There is ZERO reason for them to hurt themselves (looking at you Mason) or risk too much to win right now.

Honestly, if I'm Hexy, I'm bringing up as many kids as I'm allowed to and getting them some NHL exposure. I'm also take coach resumes because this team is sinking with Berube at the helm.

He just plain doesn't have a "system" mind for the game and it's obvious watching them play that they have little idea where they're supposed to be or what they're supposed to be doing at any given moment and that's just a recipe for failure in today's NHL.

They need a new coach with a system and they need to start working on that as soon as possible which means hanging out with each other and the new coach in the off season, not grabbing ass at a pub or going surfing or whatever.

Ya, Giroux is the one who has to go. But make sure we keep that leadership group of Vinnie, Umberger, MacDonald who collectively make twice as much, have less points and bring absolutely nothing to the team.

Giroux may not be the best captain in the league, but he certainly isn't close to being the teams biggest problem.

I think Giroux actually is a pretty good captain. There's something wrong though and he's not acting like himself. My deduction is that he doesn't trust Berube and lnows there's no system.

Think about it. Berube's entire system is basically "try harder".

Meanwhile Claude is literally skating up and down the ice all game sprinting, breaking up plays on defense, out letting passes, and then getting crapped on for not scoring enough. They guy is ALL OVER the ice. It's incredibly poor usage of their captain and top offensive threat.

He's basically playing like the most in shape kid at a pick up pond hockey game. He needs a coach who will play him like the G D superstar that he is.

Berube HAS GOT TO GO.

I don't think the "leaders" have much confidence in the organization or the coach.

Neither do I.

If they start by replacing Berube, I'll feel better and the team will play better in all likelihood.

The writing is in the wall for them at this point and I think it's natural for there to be a bit of a let down. Also, every loss is to the team's ultimate advantage at this point.

You never want to see lethargy and apathy, but I also hate when this team isn't good enough to make the playoffs but isn't bad enough to draft well.

There is ZERO reason for them to hurt themselves (looking at you Mason) or risk too much to win right now.

Honestly, if I'm Hexy, I'm bringing up as many kids as I'm allowed to and getting them some NHL exposure. I'm also take coach resumes because this team is sinking with Berube at the helm.

He just plain doesn't have a "system" mind for the game and it's obvious watching them play that they have little idea where they're supposed to be or what they're supposed to be doing at any given moment and that's just a recipe for failure in today's NHL.

They need a new coach with a system and they need to start working on that as soon as possible which means hanging out with each other and the new coach in the off season, not grabbing ass at a pub or going surfing or whatever.

Nailed it.

Could not agree more.

Greetings:

What we seem to be collectively saying is there's "Systems Failure."  The whole shebang needs review and repair.  I think Berube is part of it but my gut says Babcock wouldn't do much better with this group.  In a strange way we are back to where we were in 2006-07, trying to figure out what needs jettisoning, and how to build a squad for a different league.  I still feel that we our poor performance in the SO is an indicator of what or whom we are drafting/trading for.  I love Wayne Simmonds--but if he is the top goal scorer, we should be scared.  His goals are effort/"garbage."  They aren't what Gaudreax or Wideman had last night.

Howie

I think Giroux actually is a pretty good captain. There's something wrong though and he's not acting like himself. My deduction is that he doesn't trust Berube and lnows there's no system.

Think about it. Berube's entire system is basically "try harder".

Meanwhile Claude is literally skating up and down the ice all game sprinting, breaking up plays on defense, out letting passes, and then getting crapped on for not scoring enough. They guy is ALL OVER the ice. It's incredibly poor usage of their captain and top offensive threat.

He's basically playing like the most in shape kid at a pick up pond hockey game. He needs a coach who will play him like the G D superstar that he is.

Berube HAS GOT TO GO.

this is his coaching strategy.

https://youtu.be/SMTDQZzQMKk

I'm expecting to see an "Eagles-like" offseason, though on a much lower scale because Hexy does not have the flexibility to just cut players to free up cap space.  I'm sure he will do whatever he can to trade away the anchors that drag this team down, which would free up cap space to fill in the many gaps that this team has.  I would imagine we will see more of the younger players next year, though I don't anticipate anyone besides Laughton getting a full season with the Flyers.  It looks really bad now, but since playoffs are far in the rear view mirror, I am now on board with LOSE BABY LOSE!  Let's get the best possible chance at the top pick and if we don't get it, at least we will be in the top 10, where it seems there is a lot of depth.

I anticipate Hexy getting rid of the entire coaching staff and starting from scratch.  I believe he mentioned that in LA, they completely cleaned house.  It would not shock me or upset me to see that done.

I really do think we are in for an interesting and possibly active off-season if Hexy can lose the dead weight.  BIG IF! 

this was my argument for getting rid of Berube during the season.  He has lost the Team and clearly Mason is not happy...  this is addition by subtraction and in the meanwhile you are not destroying your franchise goalie in the process.

I trust Hexy is aware of the problems and has an idea of how to fix it but, he can only do so much so fast adjusting to the horrible situation he inherited from Homer.  I just hope Giroux will still be at the top of his game by the time things get fixed.  We must be patient as changes won't happen fast.

2006/07 was THE worst team the Flyers ever assembled and could be in the running for all-time NHL worst teams. That team was trash and if you wanna talk about unmotivated... look no further than Mike York. If York wasn't enough, they had Kyle Calder (plus/minus -31 that year) too!

2006/07 was THE worst team the Flyers ever assembled and could be in the running for all-time NHL worst teams. That team was trash and if you wanna talk about unmotivated... look no further than Mike York. If York wasn't enough, they had Kyle Calder (plus/minus -31 that year) too!

Yeah but plus/minus is a totally misleading and useless stat. Calder was actually great. Misunderstood.

LOL... -31 is quite impressive. 

Wasn't that Mcdud's stat line to when the acquired him as well!!!!!!! :ph34r:

No it was -19 but went on to end up -22 once with the Flyers....what a disaster that was!!!

Does Berube look motivated to you guys? I don't see how a unmotivated coach can motivate a unmotivated team unless they hire a motivator.

They need somebody who is inbetween the push over unemotional Berbue and the cold, calculating style of Keenan. Someone who is not a push over "player coach" but not a prison warden either....it's a fine line, but the winning contestant should be somewhere in the middle of that hot mess.

Berube certainly needs to go. "Try harder" is not a brilliant philosophy and we've seen that one before any way with some F-ing Jam!

I think Berube is in over his head. I think he's not head coach material. I think he's alienated the locker room. I think he's alienated his best player this season. 

That is a recipe for having to get your resume together and find a new job. 

Plus, he wasn't Hexy's hire. I think he gets fired and I will pretty much tune out next year if the guy is still here. That would be a serious disappointment.

They need somebody who is inbetween the push over unemotional Berbue and the cold, calculating style of Keenan. Someone who is not a push over "player coach" but not a prison warden either....it's a fine line, but the winning contestant should be somewhere in the middle of that hot mess.

If Hextall can find a Brett Brown in hockey then it would be perfect!!!

Archived