Kovalchuk? kicking tires

vonginous

He wants to come back. Kovy, g, and jake? Holy crap, that would be fun to watch.

I know he has baggage with the way he left and is going to be a media circus for a while. Is he worth looking at? Of course not at 15 years 100 million, but at a reasonable cost.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is talented, but comes with too much baggage. Also, there are too many teams that have way more $$$ that could out bid the Flyers. 

I would like to see the rebuild through the draft and any veteran leadership better be fully vetted to avoid any potential issues. 

Plus in order to come back the GMs from every team have to unanimously approve it first...so why wouldn't Lou or any other rival GM veto it?

Ain't gonna happen....and wouldn't want it to happen anyway.

I still don't understand how the Devils came out so rosy on an obvious cap-circumventing contract and a bogus retirement, yet the Flyers got screwed on something much less egregious with Pronger. ESPECIALLY now that he's working for the league! 

Letting Kovalchuk come back to the NHL would set a terrible precedent.

Kovalchuk belongs to the Devils until he's 35, which would be the 2018-2019 season, and as OR noted above, his return would need to be approved by all 30 teams. That is, unless he sits out of hockey, ALL of it, for a year.

He's not coming to Philly.

He wants to come back. Kovy, g, and jake? Holy crap, that would be fun to watch.

I know he has baggage with the way he left and is going to be a media circus for a while. Is he worth looking at? Of course not at 15 years 100 million, but at a reasonable cost.

Please God no!

First of all, the guy walked out on his team who bent over backwards to sign him to a ridiculous contract.

And the other first of all, can we just get off of this train of thought of outbidding for guys who are on their way out of what they used to be? Throwing the most money at the Bryz' and VLCs of the league is part of the way of thinking that has both the Flyers and the Phantoms OUT of the postseason. 

Don't the Devils own his rights from now until the 2nd coming?

Actually, I'd do it. A fast sniper that can keep up with G and Jake? Yes please.

Ya, it'd be great.

He could help keep us in that 6, 7, 8 playoff slot, we could lose out in the first round, pick lower in the draft and not be able to pay younger guys like Voracek when their contract comes up.

In other words...Groundhog Day in Philly.

I still don't understand how the Devils came out so rosy on an obvious cap-circumventing contract and a bogus retirement, yet the Flyers got screwed on something much less egregious with Pronger. ESPECIALLY now that he's working for the league! 

I agree completely.

I didn't think the Devils were let off the hook completely.  It doesn't make any sense. 

If Kovalchuk wants to play in the NHL again it should have to be for the Devils unless they manage to trade his contract.

If I were Hextall, I would veto any come back that let the Devils off the hook.

And in regards to whether or not I'd want the player all this crap aside, I just don't think I would.

He would bring goals, that's true, but the rest of his game is lacking in all the ways that the current team is lacking.

He would bring nothing to the defensive or transition side of the game.

on the PP he'd score a lot of goals, but even strength Jake and G would be compensating a LOT for him and that would affect their ability to generate sustained attack time.  What this team needs is to Get Jake and G OUT of their own end and find them someone to help dig out the puck and move it to them.  Right now they have to go behind their own end line and retrieve the puck and then get all the way down to the other one and try to score.  Kovalchuck would do nothing to change that for them.

If he was more of a crafty puck carrier or more of a back checker or more of a penalty shot threat I'd consider it, but as it stands, I'm not sure how much his game would help anything.

Also (and I know this is a small detail)  they can't afford ANYONE let alone Ilya pain in the butt Kovalchuck.

Ya, it'd be great.

He could help keep us in that 6, 7, 8 playoff slot, we could lose out in the first round, pick lower in the draft and not be able to pay younger guys like Voracek when their contract comes up.

In other words...Groundhog Day in Philly.

He will retire before any drafted Flyer is ready - if they EVER draft a top sniping winger. And I'm sure he'd help in the miserable shootout too.

He will retire before any drafted Flyer is ready - if they EVER draft a top sniping winger. And I'm sure he'd help in the miserable shootout too.

Not so sure about that. If they draft wing this upcoming draft in a decent spot (top 8) there is a real chance that player could be in the Flyers lineup sooner than kovelchoke retires....

Makes no sense to spend that money when Jake is gonna need a raise soon... Makes no sense at all when considering the cap.

Not so sure about that. If they draft wing this upcoming draft in a decent spot (top 8) there is a real chance that player could be in the Flyers lineup sooner than kovelchoke retires....

Makes no sense to spend that money when Jake is gonna need a raise soon... Makes no sense at all when considering the cap.

Agreed on cap, but that's Hexys problem. As is supporting G and Jake. There is no one in the pipeline for years.

Agreed on cap, but that's Hexys problem. As is supporting G and Jake. There is no one in the pipeline for years.

There is a draft coming up.... Said draft just might produce that exact winger that won't cost kovalchoke type money. It is Hextall problem as you say but it does not change the fact the cap is a reality... One that is currently in a bad state for thr Flyers.

Unless you sell off assets there is not room for kovalchoke...

Kovalchuk wasn't an over 35 contract.

There is a draft coming up.... Said draft just might produce that exact winger that won't cost kovalchoke type money. It is Hextall problem as you say but it does not change the fact the cap is a reality... One that is currently in a bad state for thr Flyers.

Unless you sell off assets there is not room for kovalchoke...

Top sniping wingers just aren't generally available, and I can't remember the last one the Flyers drafted AND developed. I'm not saying it is ideal, but I do strongly feel this is a major roster gap.

Archived