What moment in Flyer history would you change if you could?

FD19372

Take the keys to the Porsche away from Pelle.

Don't trade Poulin.

Don't trade for Lindros (no knock on him, but we may have won a cup with Forsberg ++++++)

Don't sign Bryz

Sorry can't agree with this Lindros was my favorite Flyer...i never had the luxury of being a fan in tbe 80s...so right or wrong i don't agree its not Eric's fault he had a sieve in net named Hextall and his GM didn't think they needed more than one line and chicken wired patchwork blueline.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry can't agree with this Lindros was my favorite Flyer...i never had the luxury of being a fan in tbe 80s...so right or wrong i don't agree its not Eric's fault he had a sieve in net named Hextall and his GM didn't think they needed more than one line and chicken wired patchwork blueline.

In my opinion, if they had 2 more scoring options, and another mobile defenseman or two, they go 7 and who knows what would happen with Detroit in '97 instead of completely embarrassed. I don't pin that loss squarely on #88.

Hextall's statistics during the Lindros years with the Flyers were actually better than during his supposed Heay-day in the late 80's.  Save%, GAA were all better on the whole during his second tenure with the team.   Granted he wasn't among the league leaders, but he was actually better than when he was supposed to have been "good".

The larger problem wtih the Lindros era was Eric's defense, Clutch and Grab hockey, the "Trap" and all the physical abuse Lindros had to endure because the league wouldn't penalize people who took runs at him and his team wouldn't defend him.

I don't care if they wouldn't back him up because he was a jerk or because the GM didn't want them to or because Eric told them not to becasue he thought he was a tough guy.  He's your damn franchise and that it wasn't ingrained into the team to protect and defend that investment at all costs (no matter how big he was) then that team was populated and run by morons.

In my opinion, if they had 2 more scoring options, and another mobile defenseman or two, they go 7 and who knows what would happen with Detroit in '97 instead of completely embarrassed. I don't pin that loss squarely on #88.

I actually blame Murray for getting check mated by Bowman far more than I blame any of the players.  Those redwings came in utterly prepared to shut down everything the Flyers could do and the Flyers had ZERO answers. 

It was a lot like the Ottawa series in 2002 with Barber where they just had no answers and couldn't get through the neutral zone to save their lives.  That was on Barber.  1997 was on Murray in my opinion.  A team getting shut down by a defensive "system" needs coaching and a plan for breaking through that system.  They had nothing.  They lost pitifully.  I can take losing.  I'm used to losing.  I would have liked to have lost behind a more valliant effort.  That was just boring and sad at the same time.

I think the Flyers second line was Hawerchuk on his last legs, Brind'Amour and Podein. Detroit's was Federov, Kozlov and Shanahan if I remember right. Little bit of a talent difference there, don't you think?

I actually blame Murray for getting check mated by Bowman far more than I blame any of the players.  Those redwings came in utterly prepared to shut down everything the Flyers could do and the Flyers had ZERO answers. 

It was a lot like the Ottawa series in 2002 with Barber where they just had no answers and couldn't get through the neutral zone to save their lives.  That was on Barber.  1997 was on Murray in my opinion.  A team getting shut down by a defensive "system" needs coaching and a plan for breaking through that system.  They had nothing.  They lost pitifully.  I can take losing.  I'm used to losing.  I would have liked to have lost behind a more valliant effort.  That was just boring and sad at the same time.

I stand by my last statement but yes, I agree. Bowman COMPLETELY outclassed and outcoached Murray.

I stand by my last statement but yes, I agree. Bowman COMPLETELY outclassed and outcoached Murray.

I don't disagree with your earlier statement.  But that seems a bit like restructuring the entire team.  Also, DesJardins, Niinima, Coffey and were not exactly Un-Mobile D men.  Svoboda Dykuis? -in between... Therien and Kjell?  youbecha.

On scoring... yes definitely.  Hawerchuck was a joke of an acquisition and we all knew it at the time.  Even when he made the All Star game everyone knew it was a weak idea.

@mojo1917 Could not find the video, but here is a very realistic account of the "Leon Stickle game".

http://www.csnphilly.com/sports/today-in-philly-sports-history-the-leon-stickle-game-1980/

"Though it's true that the Flyers ended up losing the game, one thing should be said in Stickle's defense: The goal wasn't really as consequential as you might think. When you hear people rant about how a no-call cost the Flyers the game and the series, you figure it was Bob Nystrom's famous overtime goal that should have been nulled, or that at least it was the game-tier late in regulation. In actuality, Sutter's goal merely put the Islanders up 2-1 with two whole periods to go, in what would eventually end up a 5-4 game. Sure, that's still a one-goal differential, and who knows how things would have turned out with the violation called, but as far as all-time scapegoats go, this isn't really Buckner letting the ball through his legs in the bottom of the tenth"

Agree with all of this, it's a fair and honest assessment of what really went down.

Reported.

And, also, there was actually another girl that shouldn't have counted: high stick by Potvin, if I recall.

Anyway, yeah Leon ******* Stickle being born...

Well, when you consider the Flyers gave up:

Steve Duchesne, Ron Hextall, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, the rights to Peter Forsberg, the Flyers first-round pick in 1992 (7th overall) and 1993, and $15 million.

In 92-93 Ricci had 27 goals. The next year 30.

Duchesne had 20 goals and 82 points in 92-93.

The picks turned into Jocelyn Thibault and Nolan Baumgartner (no guarantee Flyers make same picks FWIW).

Forsberg's first (full) year in the league (95-96) he scored 30 goals and 16 points.

There are a lot of variables, but "who would have Forsberg played with" isn't really one of them.

In the end, that's not what they gave up.  It gets worse.  By the time the arbiter made his ruling, the Flyers had already used the 1992 #7 pick on Ryan Sittler.  Since the Nords (and NOBODY ELSE) had any interest in Sittler, the arbiter gave the Nords Chris Simon and the Flyers 1st round 1994 pick (which the Nords traded and eventually ended up with the Caps).

The picks in the 1994 first round just after Baumgartner were the following (if the Flyers didn't pick Baumgartner):

Jeff Friesen

Wade Belak

Mattias Ohlund

Ethan Moreau

Eric Fichaud

Wayne Primeau

Brad Brown

Chris Dingman

The 1993 picks after Thibault (come on, the Flyers were NOT going to draft a goalie in the first round!):

Brendan Witt

Kenny Johnson (both Witt and Johnson are defensemen, so the Flyers weren't "wasting" a first round pick on these either)

Denis Pederson

Adam Deadmarsh

Mats Lindgren

Jason Allison

Saku Koivu

Anders Eriksson

Todd Bertuzzi

I would hope they'd have picked Deadmarsh, but I'm guessing since I don't remember him that they'd have picked Pederson.

In the end, that's not what they gave up. It gets worse. By the time the arbiter made his ruling, the Flyers had already used the 1992 #7 pick on Ryan Sittler. Since the Nords (and NOBODY ELSE) had any interest in Sittler, the arbiter gave the Nords Chris Simon and the Flyers 1st round 1994 pick (which the Nords traded and eventually ended up with the Caps).

The picks in the 1994 first round just after Baumgartner were the following (if the Flyers didn't pick Baumgartner):

Jeff Friesen

Wade Belak

Mattias Ohlund

Ethan Moreau

Eric Fichaud

Wayne Primeau

Brad Brown

Chris Dingman

The 1993 picks after Thibault (come on, the Flyers were NOT going to draft a goalie in the first round!):

Brendan Witt

Kenny Johnson (both Witt and Johnson are defensemen, so the Flyers weren't "wasting" a first round pick on these either)

Denis Pederson

Adam Deadmarsh

Mats Lindgren

Jason Allison

Saku Koivu

Anders Eriksson

Todd Bertuzzi

I would hope they'd have picked Deadmarsh, but I'm guessing since I don't remember him that they'd have picked Pederson.

We coulda had Wade Belak?!?!

Damn you Lindros.

Great call on the Lindros 2000 playoffs. Not only did he rush back but they broke up the hottest line ( recci gags and ?) to give him ice time ANDout him with Stevens in the ice

He should have eased in on the 3-4th line

Completely screwed up the chemistry they had going.  I guess it was White that actually sat as a result.  I remember being really ticked about it before they even played the game.  I mean, if healthy, Lindros > White (obviously), but the timing there just really stunk.  It cost them that series and a decent chance at the Cup.

It's always something...

Exactamundo!

Thankfully i wasn't a fan during that..........and i'm ok with i have enough painful memories..........no need for more...like JR breaking Rico's arm versus the Laffs...or Bezzer getting out dueled by the goaltender the Flyers should have signed instead of him.

Or the collapse to the Sabres on my honeymoon that just put me in a grand mood the rest of the time.

Or getting spanked by Beezer in 96.

Or the 50 foot blast Hexy let in from Lemieux in 95 after sweeping the Rags the round before. 

Let me stop i'm ruining saturday morning before it even starts..........................

Archived