Draft Lottery Scandel

hf101

What the hell??!?!?!  Can this league get anything right? 

It doesn't matter if it was only ONE ball...it changes the odds.  Not to  mention how it looks.  

I assume this video is legit?  I didn't see anything live, so I'm assuming it is, but in today's day and age, you never know.

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=810822

From the way the video looks, there was an accidental double tap on the first ball. A second ball went up the tube as a result, but it immediately fell back down since there was already a ball at the top. Personally, I don't really see an issue, I think that's the reason that they do the ten second interval. If something like that happens, it's outside the framework laid out for the lottery, meaning the second ball, which was an accident can be safely dismissed as such. Actually, that screenshot was perfectly timed.

All of that said, I agree that it should be done live.

Thanks, Scott. I couldn't get the video to play.  So, I only looked at the screen shots.  If the 2nd ball, fell back into the "hopper", then it's a mute point, IMO.

That's exactly what happened. It was underneath the "real" ball for a split second before gravity did its work. Since there was a ball already at the top of the tube, the second ball never even got to the top.

Well Bettman has it in for us no doubt since the wrath he took after the 99 finals where he allowed a Cup to be handed out on a goal that was scored while breaking the almighty skate in the crease rule.  The rule was pretty stupid.  But it was the rule of the day and many a goal was taken down on the exact same situation. Its not like we would have had the Cup if it was disallowed.  But it was in the wee hours and nobody is ever going to convince me that the late hour and the refs being tired did not play into it.  If only Patrick's shot had gone in.  I do believe the pressure on Dallas would have been  too great in a game 7.  This  lottery thing will likely be changed again.  How many has Edmonton won now?  Since Wayne left?

Well - they did win another one in just the second season after he left.  ;)  :ph34r:

I did mean lotteries. I am not talking about the Edmonton Cup under Muckler for God's sake. That was a million years ago.

I believe the Oilers have won 4 of the last 6 lotteries.

Sickening as it is, it has gotten them no where.  But one gets the feeling it will be different this time.  If they are smart, they trade one of these guys that were able to light the lamp and get some help on D.  But they have not been very smart recently

Not that I think they have been managed in an intelligent way, but which teams are giving up #1 defensemen right now? Looking over trade history, this isn't exactly something you see very often at all.

Of course if Bettman was truly going to rig it, he likely would have picked a mainsteam city rather than Edmonton, in the middle of no where?

Nah. if he was going to rig it, he would have given it to one of his floundering expansion teams. Probably Arizona.

But in any case, the foot in crease rule did not "Hand the cup" to Dallas. They were going to beat Buffalo's arse silly anyways :)

The spirit of the rule about being in the crease was to keep players from interfering with the goaltender(Which he did not do). You are trying to use the letter of the law to defeat the spirit of the law because his little toe was on the blue paint. That is how everyone saw it, called it and ruled it.

Of course if Bettman was truly going to rig it, he likely would have picked a mainsteam city rather than Edmonton, in the middle of no where?

Yep, like I said before, there are WAY better choices for Betteman to make, solidifing the teams in FLA and ARZ first and foremost. McDavid's presence would have outright saved those franchises from inevitable failure....they would have been the choices....or the Canes.

Yep, like I said before, there are WAY better choices for Betteman to make, solidifing the teams in FLA and ARZ first and foremost. McDavid's presence would have outright saved those franchises from inevitable failure....they would have been the choices....or the Canes.

Maybe we'll get lucky enough for those teams to one day fall on their faces and move somewhere that they can be successful. May they never win the lottery until that happens. Lol

Archived