Buffalo Sabres Sign Dan Bylsma

yave1964

mJSOdrH482VYoesoYBsm_fg.jpgWith the San Jose Sharks settling on Peter Deboer it looks as if the Sabres are the winner of the Dan Bylsma sweepstakes. After missing out on Mike Babcock the Sabres look to be signing the coach who bested him in the 2009 Stanley Cup finals.

Bylsma has his detractors but his record is a good one, every full season he coached his Penguins managed a minimum of 100 points or better, during the strike shortened year they managed 72 in 48 games, good for first in the East.

His five regular seasons after the Cup victory, well, the postseason is where it all falls apart. Five promising regular seasons were followed by postseason disappointment with the 2012 fiasco against the Flyers being the one that most greased the skids for moving him out. They made the conference finals once, the Semi's twice and bowed out in the first round two times.

Bylsma was in Buffalo most of Wednesday and barring a last minute change of heart he is there guy. In my opinion they could do worse.

Strange offseason for Buffalo. Usually when a team is this bad, they have the decency to stay out of the news. But after the year of the tank job:

In spite of the worst record in the game they lost out on the first pick, missing out on the McDavid sweepstakes.

In spite of offering more money, they missed out on the Babcock sweepstakes.

They have been rumored to be in the market for every goalie who has ever played the game since Jacques Plante.

And now after getting Eichel as a consolation prize they seem to be doing the same with Bylsma.

Curious to see how this pans out.  One of Bylsma's knocks is his lack of in-game adjustment.  Also alot of Bylsma's success came because he had Crosby, Malkin, MAF, and Letang.  With a total bunch of young players, I'm really interested to see how he develops them.  I guess the hockey world will find out what type of coach he really is.  I'm curious how Sabre fans are reacting to this. Calling HJ............ :)

My guts says this would be a bad hire for the Sabres. Being able to teach youngsters is going to be a prerequesite for a future Sabres coach, and I'm not at all sure Blysma is the right guy for the job. I think Nolan would have been perfect for the task at hand. They would have been better off plucking one of the fine NCAA or CHL coaches out there....a fresh start with new innovative ideas, instead of a re-cycled has been. If he was not successful with the talented Pens roster, what makes them think he is going to help out the Sabres, who will be stinky for years before inevitably becoming respectable. The Sabres need a more structured coach, one that emphasizes defense....giving the kids a nice solid foundation to build upon. This is a mistake.

I'm not sure Blysma will last the whole season, worse yet I'm not sure who would replace him  He was to blame for the poor performance of team USA vs Finland and his success is based upon a group of players most any coach should be able to win with?

It sure seems like the  available coaching market is really slim.

I don't think this would be a good move for the Sabres... As has been noted, Bylsma hasn't been very good at making adjustments in the past. One of the knocks I heard on him from Pens fans is that he tended to favor vets over young guys, benching younger players for minor mistakes, also the opposite of what is needed in Buffalo.

The thing that kills me, though, is that this was a needless coaching search. Nolan should still be there. How do you fire a guy for losing with a team of ECHLers?

Oh my I cannot wait for the logic that is going to come out from Western NY. I fully expect a thoughtful rational for this potential hiring to come from the round table panel discussion at the West Seneca Applebee's. 

For now, the halibut is back in the fridge until further notice. 

I think Bylsma gets a little bit of a bum rap. There was a season or two where the Pens were absolutely decimated by injuries (including Crosby and Malkin) and he still had them in the playoffs. I think he would be a good choice for the Sabres.

I don't think this would be a good move for the Sabres... As has been noted, Bylsma hasn't been very good at making adjustments in the past. One of the knocks I heard on him from Pens fans is that he tended to favor vets over young guys, benching younger players for minor mistakes, also the opposite of what is needed in Buffalo.

The thing that kills me, though, is that this was a needless coaching search. Nolan should still be there. How do you fire a guy for losing with a team of ECHLers?

I agree I'm still not sure why Nolan was fired anyway? It will be a interesting year for this team! I wonder if they will tank again?

They have been rumored to be in the market for every goalie who has ever played the game since Jacques Plante.

I think they even asked for permission to dig up Bill Durnan.

In all seriousness, though, I think they got the best man still available. In fairness to Bylsma, he did have to deal with a lot of drama in Pittsburgh. When the assistant GM acknowledges that whining is an issue, there's a problem.

There's one "advantage" that Buffalo has over Pittsburgh. There's only one direction to go. The team seems to have an inevitable leap ahead next season. In Pittsburgh there was only one acceptable outcome every year. Maybe somewhat lower pressure will help him out.

Oh my I cannot wait for the logic that is going to come out from Western NY. I fully expect a thoughtful rational for this potential hiring to come from the round table panel discussion at the West Seneca Applebee's. 

For now, the halibut is back in the fridge until further notice.

All Applebee's in WNY are now offering all you can eat Halibut from 5p-close tonight to celebrate Disco Dan's arrival in Buffalo :)

My guts says this would be a bad hire for the Sabres. Being able to teach youngsters is going to be a prerequesite for a future Sabres coach, and I'm not at all sure Blysma is the right guy for the job. I think Nolan would have been perfect for the task at hand. They would have been better off plucking one of the fine NCAA or CHL coaches out there....a fresh start with new innovative ideas, instead of a re-cycled has been. If he was not successful with the talented Pens roster, what makes them think he is going to help out the Sabres, who will be stinky for years before inevitably becoming respectable. The Sabres need a more structured coach, one that emphasizes defense....giving the kids a nice solid foundation to build upon. This is a mistake.

Jammer--

Well Said.  Dead on assessment.

This is perfect. Well said.

Where is the Rick spin?

Rick is lost at Applebee's arguing with the waitress that his beer is flat and the halibut is overcooked ........or he is standing in line for his Stanley Cup Finals tickets...... :ph34r:

Besides he must have been asleep for the past 7 days by his post in the shoutbox.....

Hockey Junkie : (05:48 PM)

Don't worry fella's, your pretty boys in Orange and Black will be in the news soon enough. So who do you think they are going to hire>? Any predictions?

Rick is gonna argue...well he coached Crosby and Malkin he can't be all that bad........

Rick is lost at Applebee's arguing with the waitress that his beer is flat and the halibut is overcooked ........or he is standing in line for his Stanley Cup Finals tickets...... :ph34r:

Besides he must have been asleep for the past 7 days by his post in the shoutbox.....

Hockey Junkie : (05:48 PM)

Don't worry fella's, your pretty boys in Orange and Black will be in the news soon enough. So who do you think they are going to hire>? Any predictions?

Rick is gonna argue...well he coached Crosby and Malkin he can't be all that bad........

That's some funny stuff right there.

Because I take my responsibility as board contrarian seriously I am going to have to disagree with my Flyers brethren on this one. Following the rules is not d-baggerry. It's a GM doing his job to maximize his team's assets. Suppose it was the Flyers who were owed a draft pick, and Hextall told say, Pittsburgh, "forget it, we're all in this together". I think Flyers fans would be pretty damn unhappy about that and rightfully so. I want my team's GM to bring home a Stanley Cup... Multiple Stanley Cups in fact. I don't want him to break rules but I don't particularly care if he comes off as a nice guy or not.

We completely disagree twice in two consecutive days.

Tomorrow I plan on a thread on single vs. Double stuffed Oreos. Wanna pick a side so I can pick the other? (I don't really like either so I'm willing to take either side).

We completely disagree twice in two consecutive days.

Tomorrow I plan on a thread on single vs. Double stuffed Oreos. Wanna pick a side so I can pick the other? (I don't really like either so I'm willing to take either).

I'm a double stuff man myself.

LOL. Okay, I'll take single then.
Double is complete douchebaggery (just practicing).

Well you know, if you take two singles and separate them, and then stick the two wafers with the cream stuck to them together, that is even better than a double. So I kind of see your point. If that was in fact, your point.

I saw this once, and I claim no credit. But Oreo should rename "Doublestuff Oreos" to "Oreos," and then label "Oreos" as "Diet Oreos."

I saw this once, and I claim no credit. But Oreo should rename "Doublestuff Oreos" to "Oreos," and then label "Oreos" as "Diet Oreos."

Brilliant. I've renamed all the beer in the fridge as "hop water"

Archived