Couts extended

sekkes85

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The volleyball ones are waaay better........ :blink[1]:

And we've lost the thread.... ;)

Good reading though fellas. Don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. I'm okay with the signing right now and hope to be THRILLED with it in a few years!

LOL!  I was admiring them last night at the rink as well....

I dated some figure skaters in high school. It worked out well in a way. We we're often both up at 5:30 am skating in adjacent rinks. Sometimes skated around together.  I'd like to think that I picked up some tips in terms of balance and stuff, but my pirouettes were terrible!

EDIT: back on topic: Sean should get himself a champion figure skater girlfriend.

I dated some figure skaters in high school. It worked out well in a way. We we're often both up at 5:30 am skating in adjacent rinks. Sometimes skated around together. I'd like to think that I picked up some tips in terms of balance and stuff, but my pirouettes were terrible!

EDIT: back on topic: Sean should get himself a champion figure skater girlfriend.

Your sage advice never ceases to amaze pods!

Okay, I'll bite...in all seriousness, wanna learn to skate?  Take lessons from a figure skater/figure skating coach.  They'll teach you edge control/tight turns etc...once you get that down, switch to a hockey based power skating coach.  To build on that foundation.  

My kids took lessons when they were very young, with a figure skating coach...granted some of it is natural ability, but the one thing my kids can FLAT out do is skate.  No idea why/how they came to in naturally.  I fall down when I look at a sheet of ice. :cool[1]: 

Okay, I'll bite...in all seriousness, wanna learn to skate?  Take lessons from a figure skater/figure skating coach.  They'll teach you edge control/tight turns etc...once you get that down, switch to a hockey based power skating coach.  To build on that foundation.  

My kids took lessons when they were very young, with a figure skating coach...granted some of it is natural ability, but the one thing my kids can FLAT out do is skate.  No idea why/how they came to in naturally.  I fall down when I look at a sheet of ice. :cool[1]:

That is what Ghost said helped him so much with his skating...his sister is a figure skater and he actually started out as one.

damn skippy Gaz...  totally agree.

not bad.

6 year deal with $4.33M AAV according to generalfanager

$3.75M, $4M, $4.25M, $4.5M, $4.75M, $4.75M

Love it. Great move.

I honestly hope Hexy finds a way to re-sign B. Schenn as well. I don't think we've seen the best out of him yet.

Devils advocate: this contract makes Couts a very desirable chip. What if Hextall has a plan to trade him with demanding mc dud as part of deal?

Philly has signed numerous big name players and then shipped them off. Not saying it will happen, or even possible, but would you sacrifice Couts to move mc dud?

I honestly don't want to move him but something has to be done about VLC and mc dud moving forward. Just thinking way out on the ledge

Even though I have not seen Gudas in Flyers uniform, I truly believe he will be staying. He's vastly underpaid at under a million. 1.5- 2.1 mill should be a realistic number for him after this coming season. He's the perfect replacement for Grossmannn. Even though Morin will arrive in 16-17, Gudas's physicality and crease clearing skills will still be needed. You need at least two defensive minded stay at home guys. Morin will be one, and I believe Gudas will be the 2nd. Grossmann is already gone, and after next year, I'd be SHOCKED to see Luke the Fluke in a Flyers uniform.

Gudas will be a fan favourite right from the get go. A legit heavyweight, he will help fill the void left by Rinaldo leaving....AND he can take some of the heat off SImmonds in the watching your teammates back scenario. Assuming the Flyers dress 7 d-men, Gudas would not be missed as much as Simmonds. Almost any time Simmonds goes off the ice, the opponents have created a situation where it is not favourable to the Flyers....ideally, you want Simmonds on the ice creating havoc and scoring points.

but would you sacrifice Couts to move mc dud?

No....there has to be a better solution than that. I'd rather move a 3rd round pick, or a middle prospect like Cousins if we are going to pay assets to clear cap space. Cooter is to valuable to use as a cap clearing trade chip. Just my opinion.

No....there has to be a better solution than that. I'd rather move a 3rd round pick, or a middle prospect like Cousins if we are going to pay assets to clear cap space. Cooter is to valuable to use as a cap clearing trade chip. Just my opinion.

Good point. Too much value. Hopefully mc dud plays better this year and increases HIS value. Boston did give us a third for zack.....

I like the deal because Couturier is a core player. Keeping a core together long-term (especially when they are young or in their primes) is more important to me than trying to gauge the exact market value of a player. The value, for me, is keeping the same 5-6-7 core players together for the long haul. It breeds familiarity, tightness, and a team environment. Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Schenn, Mason. In my mind, that's the current Flyers core. I would add MDZ to that based on how tight he feels with this group, his age, and his love for being on the team. He sounds very committed to the Flyers.

I can already imagine something like the following:

Gagner/Giroux/Voracek

Simmonds/Couturier/Schenn

White/Raffl/Read

VLC/VandeVelde/Bellemare

I feel like I am forgetting a player...?

Perhaps Laughton as the third line Center??

Perhaps Laughton as the third line Center??

Yes, and I totally forgot Umberger.

So, really, unless someone is moved, there isn't even a roster spot for Laughton unless/until injuries pile up.

Not saying it will happen, or even possible, but would you sacrifice Couts to move mc dud?

Loaded question.  Much depends on what's offered by the other team.  But *just* for the sake of moving McDud, no, I would not move Couturier.  In fact, I would not move him at all, especially now that he is signed.  I am still a big believer in his abilities and I personally think he will be a star in this league.  He just needs an opportunity.

Archived