Voracek Signed

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One could argue that it will be. 8 million won't be what it is now and there are plenty of guys still producing and performing well at 35 and our 2 guys will be coming off the books right at that time, if the Flyers so choose...

I don't think the cap has jumped as fast as some once thought.  As companies throughout the US continue to downsize and hold status quo it is hard for me to believe the cap is really going to take a huge leap forward.

Again not that Jake's deal is horrible, but a 6 year deal would be much better for the Flyers as players such as some of the recent draft picks should be the teams stars 5-6 years from now and should be deserving of that big contract also.  Teams really only have room for a few of those before juggling on a tight wire like the Penguins have done in recent seasons.

@radoran

And I was just making a statement to Jack. Besides, you already knew the answer to your own question so no harm either way...

I think Hakstol just wanted to visit Europe on the Flyer's dime! OK, maybe not.

Jake said Hakstol liked Czech cooking.

Jack and I discussed that when Occams posted the link and interview in the Other Thread earlier today.

You know, the one where I said I really liked Jake and hoped they re-signed him.

Just for "context"

@radoran

I didn't say you don't like V. Take it easy on the context thing. I'm just saying there are people that are not going to like the deal no matter what. I think that's pretty fair to say.

Right, but you specifically referenced MY post in your "statement" to Jack...

I don't HATE the deal, but I think the Flyers bet against themselves here. They had time, but they're figuring jake goes out and does it again THIS year, only increasing his value. Sign him now, before the season, does have negotiating merits.

We could all be seeing it the same way in about 9 months.

This is just the cost of doing business. Getting a player who is a top ten scorer, that is the end game for every GM.....so trading him, yeah...it would save cap space, but the return would never match his output. Jake had the Flyers over a barrel. Ignore him and the Flyers lose him for nothing, low ball him and the Flyers lose him for nothing....this is not a McDud kinda thing. He is a legit top 10 scorer, regardless of him only doing it once, it put him in a GREAT bargaining position. 8+ was to much, but on the bright side, we still have only seen the tip of the iceberg....he still has lots of upside, which was certainly figured into the equation.

Yeesh, great agent, wonder how many times Hexy gonna be working with him in the near future. What was behind door number 2? This is the type of deal so many grew tired of dealing with...<br /><br />These longballs have not worked for this org -- except for Timo -- and so they begin to see another highly skilled ironman. This winger really gonna play 700 more games for us at a PPG? Is that more realistic than plugging in Simmonds after next season on the top line and marketing the crap outta yer blueliners to drive tics? If you can trade Jake from this non-contending team for the next younger cheaper underperforming Voraceck, all the more Godfatherish.

Let's hopE that Jake does not suffer from the dreaded "trying to live up to his contract" anxiety.

Like I said before: as it stands now this is an overpayment but might be fine in a year or two. Only time will tell.

If Homer signed Jake to this deal I think a lot more people would be pissing and moaning at the term and AAV.

Is it market value? Maybe... is.it an overpayment as it stands today? Absolutely

If Homer signed Jake to this deal I think a lot more people would be pissing and moaning at the term and AAV.

Homer would have given that deal to some overrated UFA instead.

And I'd be pissed.

When does the CBA expire?

I'm just wondering when the owners will again punish the players for signing contacts given to them to sign.

I'd like to see what the annual salary looks like. If there is no or a very limited NMC/NYC, it's not horrible. He will be movable if motivation/performance changes.

I realize the "based on one year?" thing, but honestly most of us saw that in him before that and he was clearly growing toward it. The Flyers saw it, too. If he can do what he did with NO winger on the other side, just imagine...

I may swallow hard if there's some prohibitive NM/TC, but while I'm usually with the "too long" crowd, I think I'm okay here.

I realize the "based on one year?" thing, but honestly most of us saw that in him before that and he was clearly growing toward it. The Flyers saw it, too. If he can do what he did with NO winger on the other side, just imagine...

I think you hit the nail on the head there rux...

I dont hate the deal just wish it would have been shorter for the amount of money.  I can live with it and I think Jake still has room to grow.

I'd have rather it been shorter and cheaper. Hextall's banking a lot on continued growth from Jake and Couturier. To me, 8+ million means that you're a truly elite player in the league. I'm not saying Jake's not, the point totals speak for themselves. But to me this means one thing:

He should play on Couturier's RW next season, not Giroux's. And he should be able to produce 70+ points there. 8.25 million a year means you should be able to produce without one of the top centers in the league. It means you make the players around you better (to be clear, I do think Voracek is able to do this. 8.25 million able, I'm not quite sold on). And for a team desperate to find secondary scoring, having two elite players you can split up to give opposing teams matchup problems makes it a no-brainer.

I'd have rather it been shorter and cheaper. Hextall's banking a lot on continued growth from Jake and Couturier. To me, 8+ million means that you're a truly elite player in the league. I'm not saying Jake's not, the point totals speak for themselves. But to me this means one thing:

He should play on Couturier's RW next season, not Giroux's. And he should be able to produce 70+ points there. 8.25 million a year means you should be able to produce without one of the top centers in the league. It means you make the players around you better (to be clear, I do think Voracek is able to do this. 8.25 million able, I'm not quite sold on). And for a team desperate to find secondary scoring, having two elite players you can split up to give opposing teams matchup problems makes it a no-brainer.

man, you took the words out of my mouth AJ... awesome post and agree 100%.    

I am not sure how to quantify it but how much of the "g factor" is related to Jake's success?  I know this goes both ways but it definitely has crossed my mind.    

Yep that's a good point Rux, Voracek has clearly been growing his game all along. He says his role model is Jagr (minus the prima donna attitude of Jagr's early years) and we all see it happening. Voracek has become a legit power fwd he just needs to keep it going. After a year like he just produced his confidence must be soaring. There's no reason to expect any kind of letdown. On the contrary we should see an even better season out of him especially if Gagner or whoever can rack up 25+ goals on the wing. Like you said Jake had an All-star year with Raffl on that line...imagine a true sniper working that position.

Hextall will likely have to trade to make that top line complete. I always liked Gagner but it's hard to picture him as an elite top line guy who reliably finishes with goals. One thing is certain if Hak puts him with G/V he'll have plenty of chances.

Oh, I see what the problem is. You think I care... Well, I don't because that was an absolute nothing thing to me. I'll take care of this elsewhere...

You sure are animated about something you don't care about.

like this? 

Combined, Vincent Lecavalier (35), R.J. Umberger (33),  and Andrew MacDonald (28) make $14.1 million. Last season, they played in a combined 182 games, scoring 19 goals and adding 28 assists. Umberger was a minus-9. Lecavalier was a minus-7. MacDonald was a minus-5.  

Jake will be 27 when his new 8 year contract starts and 35 when it ends.

This is what gets me. I'm not concerned with the Jake contract. Its contracts like VLC, Umberger, and AMac that get me.

If you recognize a superstar in the making and deem him part of your core with Giroux and say "I want to build around these players" fine. But when you are just throwing darts at FAs hoping to find scoring depth on players that are over 30 that is lunacy.

We can be hesitant about the length of the Voracek deal but the fact is he was getting this contract somewhere. So someone was going to pay him at this value for that term. He has flourished here with Giroux. May as well keep the band together. Now build around that group when these bad contracts come off the books.

Archived