Gagne retires

RJ8812

"I'm so much proud of wearing a jersey that, to me, the Flyers are always going to be my team," said Gagne. "Watching all the past stories with the Cups. The players -- Clarkie, Eric Lindros -- the reputation of the Flyers, and me being part of that is something [special]. You know, I did play for other teams and won a Cup with the [Los Angeles] Kings but the jersey I remember the most is always going to be the Flyers. They are the team that draft me and I stayed there 11 years."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=70970

It seems just like yesterday i remember when he was there heading into the playoffs in 99-00.............there when BIG E got KO'd...man how time flies...enjoy your next stage of your Simon.

3 of my favorite goals....

A nice read on Gagne today by Meltzer.

And as we anticipate the play under new coach Hakstol I have to agree with Hextall's comments about Gagne:

Flyers general manager Ron Hextall believes that Gagne's style of play -- a speed-oriented, two-way game built around puck possession, hockey sense and finesse -- would translate to an even better career had he been a young player in today's game

I have to wonder if things might have been different here in Flyerland if Gagne would have said he was ready to Captain the Flyers?

Hate to see it but it is honestly time for him to hang them up...   Always one of my favorite Flyers and I hope the organization finds a way to honor him as one of the all-time great Flyers.   Guy is a class act and was one hell of a player for the O&B...   

Hate to see it but it is honestly time for him to hang them up...

At the very least he's going out on his terms.

His 35+ status wasn't going to make it easy, especially with the erosion of his game.

I gotta also believe that his father passing gave him some additional perspective on spending time with the family and the millions he's banked made the decision easier.

He was an excellent Flyer, scored some VERY timely goals to get us out of many a jam.....will always have fond memories of Gags.

Who can forget how he dominated the Bruins during our historic come back down from 3-0, all the way back to 4-3 in Game 7....and we never win that game #7 without Gagne. Seems like only yesterday he was dominating the World Jrs, I remember him scoring a very nice goal in the shoot out to give Team Canada the win.

Archived