Game #44 - Maple Leafs at Flyers - Jan 19 2016 - 7:00 ET

brelic

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-11916-vs-TOR/45/74120

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.23 (28th), Maple Leafs 2.42 (T-22nd)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.56 (14th), Maple Leafs 2.74 (23rd)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 62/63, Maple Leafs 66/76
Power play efficiency: Flyers 15.3% (29th), Maple Leafs 16.9% (26th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 78.8% (25th), Maple Leafs 80.0% (T-16th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.2 (13th), Maple Leafs 31.2 (8th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.0 (29th), Maple Leafs 31.2 (27th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 50.0% (16th), Maple Leafs 51.2% (7th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

93 Jakub Voracek - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
12 Michael Raffl - 14 Sean Couturier - 10 Brayden Schenn
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
82 Evgeny Medvedev - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Brandon Manning (healthy), Jordan Weal (healthy).

MAPLE LEAFS

23 Shawn Matthias - 43 Nazem Kadri - 47 Leo Komarov
40 Michael Grabner - 42 Tyler Bozak - 15 P.A. Parenteau
19 Joffrey Lupul - 24 Peter Holland - 28 Brad Boyes
26 Daniel Winnik - 56 Byron Froese - 25 Rich Clune

51 Jake Gardiner - 3 Dion Phaneuf
2 Matt Hunwick - 44 Morgan Rielly
52 Martin Marincin - 46 Roman Polak

34 James Reimer
[45 Jonathan Bernier    ]

Scratches: Josh Leivo (healthy), Frank Corrado (healthy), James van Riemsdyk (IR, foot), Nick Spaling (IR, shoulder).

Let's look at 1st half / 2nd half stats.  

Leafs

Games 1-22 : 7-10-5, 51GF, 62GA (-11)   2.32 GF/G, 2.82 GA/G

Games 23-43: 9-10-2, 57GF, 60GA (-3)    2.71 GF/G, 2.85 GA/G

Flyers

Games 1-21 : 7-9-5, 38GF, 63GA (-25)   1.81 GF/G, 3.00 GA/G

Games 22-43: 13-6-3, 60GF, 51GA (+9)  2.70 GF/G, 2.32 GA/G

This is a bit more than Flyers on a winning streak.  The Leafs have pretty much been the same team all year whereas the Flyers last 20 games puts them among the league leaders.  Here's to hoping that trend continues for the Flyers!

28 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

The Leafs have pretty much been the same team all year whereas the Flyers last 20 games puts them among the league leaders.  Here's to hoping that trend continues for the Flyers!

Is it wrong to pull for the Leafs to get a better draft pick?:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

can't cheer for the Leafs over the Flyers...I just can't.

I would take a nice pick though.

Well I was trying to imply that I was pulling for the Leafs to lose so they would get a better draft pick.........:blushing: I am pretty certain you have never seen me imply that I would root for any team over the Flyers....much less the Leafs........

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

Is it wrong to pull for the Leafs to get a better draft pick?

I interpreted your post wrong too! But why would we want to be nice to Leaf's fans? What's wrong with you?!

Whatcha gonna do brotha...... when the Maple Leafs steal the #1 draft pick from youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu? 

(Rips T-shirt and breaks into a posedown.)

:lol:

I already picked the Flyers to make the playoffs this year, so obviously they're going to win tonight. This is a guaranteed two points unless they get sloppy. Keys to beating the Leafs as usual are:

• Score in the first minute of every period.
  • Score in the last minute of every period.
  • Wait for turnovers. (The Leafs give them out at an alarming rate, so it won't be long.)
  • Shoot the puck from anywhere -- it will go in.
  • If Reimer is playing, wait for groin injury to occur and then score on Bernier.

Simple.

31 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

this is embarrassing

losing to the Leafs  

I figured they would play down to them and Mason in net...it's a recipe for disaster...can't see i'm at work and my Gamecenter isn't working on my phone maybe IT knows what is going to happen and is saving me the trouble.

Yeah terrible decision by Del Zotto there to set of like he is screening his damn goaltender and then not to block the shot instead moving out the way to let the shot through...goddamn what a moron...well there went two points they fought hard to get back...all lost to a brainfart.

Either block the damn shot or get the f**k out the way and i don't me at the last second...dear Lord.

2 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

PATHETIC. Glad I didn't buy a ticket. When you loose to a bag of pucks like the Leafs it is a clear lack of leadership and maturity. TANK FLYERS TANK.

well...ya? What do you expect from a rebuilding team?

LOL

Giroux and Voracek have been really bad the last month or so. Total non-factors for pretty much every game. It's troublesome, especially for Voracek considering he cashed in on his one great season. 

The Leafs are not as bad as their record suggests and the Flyers performance of late doesn't mean they're far above average.  They continue to have problems against sub .500 teams.  Hakstol still has work to do.

But if we're honest, this team is unlikely to win a game if they give up more than 2 goals. It's that simple.  Mason's blooper didn't help. But you need flawless performance from everyone to win averaging 2.2 goals. We have little offense from more than a handful of players.  What more can you say?

Was it a bad idea for Hak not to take a timeout there?  I don't understand why NHL coaches hold onto their timeouts.  To me, an icing with 10 seconds left in a tie game is a perfect time to take a timeout.  Maybe they weren't gassed, but I think it's important to make sure everyone knows their assignment and is prepared for anything.

On a side note, can someone tell me the thought behind the face off formation.  I never played organized hockey before so I don't know what the rules is on formation.  Every time I see that situation though, if the offensive team wins the faceoff straight back, they pass it over to the weak side for a guy with an open shot.  Would it be a good idea to put a guy closed to that weak side point man to either prevent that pass or put pressure on that guy when he does get the pass?  I understand you don't want that guy to go backdoor, but you can get close to him and still be able to cover the back door.  I don't know...maybe there's a rule preventing them from getting closer?

Archived