Game #4 - Ducks (3) at Flyers (2) - Oct 20, 2016 @ 7:00 ET

brelic

Man this team misses their Kimmo/Rico type vet back on the blueline so bad.

Mark Streit is not it.

I watched him pretty hard last night looking for what kind of leadership/example he was setting for his young pupil and i really saw none.

The times Ivan would instead of making a questionable play with puck and would instead dish it to Streit....

......and what would he do?? I'll tell ya he would make a bad pass or turn it over and it goes back the other way. SMFH.

Hell Ivan was better off keeping it.

I just not impressed with him and it's sad he is supposed to be teaching this kid. Color me very concerned.

I'll be glad when he's gone Streit that is.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man this team misses their Kimmo/Rico type vet back on the blueline so bad.

Mark Streit is not it.

I watched him pretty hard last night looking for what kind of leadership/example he was setting for his young pupil and i really saw none.

The times Ivan would instead of making a questionable play with puck and would instead dish it to Streit....

......and what would he do?? I'll tell ya he would make a bad pass or turn it over and it goes back the other way. SMFH.

Hell Ivan was better off keeping it.

I just not impressed with him and it's sad he is supposed to be teaching this kid. Color me very concerned.

I'll be glad when he's gone Streit that is.

Streit is not the reason Provorov is struggling. They mentioned it a few times during the game last night that Provorov simply hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game yet. He's often out of position around his own net and tries things that might work in junior but not here. Konecny has the speed part down, but also tries to force plays that just don't work in the NHL.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Streit is not the reason Provorov is struggling. They mentioned it a few times during the game last night that Provorov simply hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game yet. He's often out of position around his own net and tries things that might work in junior but not here. Konecny has the speed part down, but also tries to force plays that just don't work in the NHL.

Agreed, Streit is not the reason but I don't think he is helping any.  Where is Pronger when you need him?

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Konecny has the speed part down, but also tries to force plays that just don't work in the NHL.

I thought Clement's point about learning that the typical NHL player is big and will hit you is something 11 needs to learn, he mentioned specifically a hit against the boards where against a similar sized kid maybe TK squeezed by in the CHL but in the NHL he got the **** kicked out of him, Clement was saying he hopes TK learns to avoid needless contact because the hits add up.

It was a good point. TK at 185lbs has to use that speed to avoid some of the big hits coming his way. I don't like seeing him stapled against the boards...one of those hits could seriously hurt him. The good news is he appears to have plenty of hockey sense, plus speed, which should help him stay healthy.

4 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

3000 calorie?  I hope you cut back to only eat two.

I rarely eat fries at the game and so as per my custom I abstained however even so I have a hard time believing that this figure is accurate.  

Incedentally I had a Chick-Fil-A sandwich that went up to $6.50 from $6 and a beer courtesy of my brother @Adamflyers, thanks Bro!  

2 hours ago, off_the_post said:

Agreed, Streit is not the reason but I don't think he is helping any.  Where is Pronger when you need him?

I'm kind of undecided. Half of what he does seems NHL-calibre, and half does not. So, what to do?

I didn't watch Doughty or Ekblad or any of those guys in the first dozen games in the NHL - what did they look like? I think Ekblad was a stud right from the get go. Doughty was a -14 for the season, but so was most of the team - they were bad.

It could very well be that Provorov is just not NHL-ready yet. Nothing wrong with that at all. If they need to send him back, they will.

54 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

Didn't see the game, how bad was the Weiss hit he's now having a hearing for?  

Put a shoulder into the guy's face. Big hit. I don't think it was malicious, I feel like the player he hit was smaller than him. That said, I said in the chat room that the head was almost certainly the primary point of contact.

I take it back, Holzer is actually taller than Weise. Still, shoulder to the face. Like I said, don't think it was malicious, but if they're actually going to crack down on headshots, this deserves a suspension.

I'm not sure what the league wants players to do? Holzer has his head down, so how else is Weise supposed to avoid his head? It's a very confusing time for the NHL and its players. I understand what they're trying to do, but they (NHL) want to have both heavy hitting, and no injuries/headshots. 

It will take a generation's worth of hockey players to internalize.

I look at it this way. If the league doesn't want players to make that hit, I'm fine with it. Lord knows I don't want to see a Flyer concussed on a similar hit. My only caveat is that they need to enforce it the same way they did with Gudas' hit on Vesey: If, once the hit is unavoidable, the hittee puts his head down and that is what results in the hit to the head, then it's on the hittee, not the hitter. If DoPS can maintain that standard? I'd be fine with that.

The problems with the hit and why Wiese will get suspended, imo:

1) Holzer is not ducking to avoid contact. His legs are bent in an effort to slow down as he goes for the puck along the dasher. 

2) Wiese has his eyes on him the whole time and can see that his shoulder is lining up with Holzer's coconut. Wiese and all players are going to have to adjust to this reality: You cannot slam plastic armor into the face of another human being at high speeds. These guys aren't getting paid to have their brains scrambled like that. Weise should have pulled up (which sucks--where's the hits?) or alternatively, bend his own knees and drive the pads into Holzer's chest. 

3) Making matters worse, Wiese leaves his feet. 

It was a bad hit to the head that Wiese did intentionally, imo. 

1 hour ago, philaphansrefugee said:

The problems with the hit and why Wiese will get suspended, imo:

1) Holzer is not ducking to avoid contact. His legs are bent in an effort to slow down as he goes for the puck along the dasher. 

2) Wiese has his eyes on him the whole time and can see that his shoulder is lining up with Holzer's coconut. Wiese and all players are going to have to adjust to this reality: You cannot slam plastic armor into the face of another human being at high speeds. These guys aren't getting paid to have their brains scrambled like that. Weise should have pulled up (which sucks--where's the hits?) or alternatively, bend his own knees and drive the pads into Holzer's chest. 

3) Making matters worse, Wiese leaves his feet. 

It was a bad hit to the head that Wiese did intentionally, imo. 

kind of thinking along the same lines about the hit.  Although, with the NHL anymore I am not even sure what a bad hit is these days based on the inconsistencies of the player safety decisions.   

The principle point of contact was the head and he does leave his feet which I think is going to determine the suspension.   I dont think it was malicious but I do expect he will be suspended for the hit.

7 hours ago, brelic said:

He ain't helping when is Streit going to adjust to the speed of the game?

Just sayin...

:toast:

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ivan Provorov ended practice today with a touching family moment

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/ivan-provorov-practice-brother/

What a great story.

That's awesome.

So did his brother come over as an 8 year old to learn the North American game? :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

So did his brother come over as an 8 year old to learn the North American game?

What?

You haven't seen the press conference he is taking Mcdud's spot in the lineup next game!!! 

I can't stop laughing about how pathetically inconsistent and biased the DOPS is. OK, 3 games for Weise, but where's the suspension for Subban and Wilson when they blatantly made head contact on Giroux and Voracek last season?

True story: I was out buying milk the other day  pulled out a carton of milk to put in my buggy and notice that crazy picture on the back.

It said missing: Flyer's power play. Please contact F.B.I. if found......

• brelic changed the title to Game #4 - Ducks (3) at Flyers (2) - Oct 20, 2016 @ 7:00 ET

Archived