Game #7 - Sabres (3) at Flyers (4) - Oct 25, 2016 @ 7:30 ET

OccamsRazor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winning a shootout is so rare I couldn't fathom it. And that was after two Merlots and a power-walk.  I was listening to the game on Sirius, and got home for the OT and shootout.  I am glad Mason came out to challenge shooters....he played big instead of small, and that is a good thing.  After last night's disappointment, this was a good turnaround.

We may be seeing a newfangled Flyers squad that has some scoring potential.  But at times we have a sieve on D.

Streit had three points; he still has some good nights in him, I guess.  The first goal on Neuvy was strange but this was not his night.  Konecny and Provorov are good adds.

Great comeback win! They have to get off to faster starts. A lot of standing around, and not skating and initiating play in the first two periods. They were flat out outskated by a mile in the first 2 periods. In addition, the defense is what I thought it might be. Average to slightly above average. You have one d man who is aging, another veteran who is learning knocking someone's head off isn't always the right play, a defenseman who is a very good, smart skater who is still learning the game in Ghost, and another in Provorov who is learning how to play a game against others who are as fast and strong as he is. This is a work in progress, folks, and it will take time. I won't talk about McDud because he doesn't belong up with the big club.

10 hours ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

#Flyers announce forward Michael Raffl has been placed on the injured reserve - no other details. Hence, the call-up of F Taylor Leier.

Honestly , if there wasn't a press announcement , would you notice ? 

What the hell happened last night?  After TK scored, I was nodding off so I decided to go to bed.  I took the dog out and got an alert from NBC say something about "a tight game in philly" and I thought since when is a 3-1 game late in the third a "tight" game?  Then I get a text from a friend a few minutes later saying "nice little comeback here".  Then I see they won in a SO! 

I wish they didn't lull me to sleep in the first 50 minutes.  They could complete a pass.  I was so disgusted and just figured they were going to lose at home against the Kane-less, Eichel-less, starting-goalie-less, Sabres, and didn't want to watch to the end.

Last night was a prime example why +/- can suck.

Off the faceoff in the Flyers end the puck goes into the corner, and Provorov, with a great stick, neutralizes his guy. McDud lets Moulson take the puck and walk in front of the net and score. Smart defensive play by the 19 year old results in a minus thanks to the overpaid soft as babyshite veteran.

Yeah, that was a little... strange. I understand passing back to retain possession and regroup, but whenever they did they sure took their time before making a forward push. Overtime is only 5 minutes, but they didn't play like it.

12 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

Yeah, that was a little... strange. I understand passing back to retain possession and regroup, but whenever they did they sure took their time before making a forward push. Overtime is only 5 minutes, but they didn't play like it.

Bylsma is probably still expecting powerplays to be handed to him in OT.

:5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:.

A few interesting stats from last night:

Flyers had 13 giveaways to Sabres' 4. I didn't watch the game - what was the main contributor? I see that MacDud and Coots led the way with 3 giveaways each.

Provorov led the team with 24:12 ice time and 3 blocked shots. I really like that Hakstol and co are determined to keep pushing him despite the rookie mistakes. 

Couturier only won 35% of his faceoffs last night. He's at 43.7% for the season. That has *got* to be better!

Anyway, great to see them have that comeback ability. Now, maybe they need to focus on *not* spotting the opposition a few goals before turning on the jets.

29 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Has anyone heard what made Coots a game time decision last night? Minor injury? Illness?

He was skating to the game from XFinityLive, so they thought he might be a couple hours late.

Turns out he got a ride, so...

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

We may be seeing a newfangled Flyers squad that has some scoring potential.  But at times we have a sieve on D.

Streit had three points; he still has some good nights in him, I guess.  The first goal on Neuvy was strange but this was not his night.  Konecny and Provorov are good adds.

Not sure what to say on Neuvy.  That third goal was really pretty bad.  It's like he's not all there.  It's early in the season so I guess the "tired" team argument has some merit, but he didn't play in Montreal and he was just unfocused.  20 hours is a quick turnaround from Montreal even a 60 minute flight can be tough when you have to play again right away... glad they woke up.... but I'm officially concerned about Neuvy.  He truly looks off. 

Archived