Neuvirth on LTIR

DaGreatGazoo

38 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Well, looks like we will see Mr. Stolarz. Neuvy out for 4-6 weeks. Why do I think his days in Philly are numbered? 

All goalies in Philadelphia have their days numbered. It's the place goalies go to die or attempt to revive their careers.

3 hours ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

Once again, Neuvy has proven his injury prone reputation is accurate. 

Per #Flyers GM Ron Hextall, G Michal Neuvirth will be out 4-6 weeks with a lower-body injury →

What is LTIC?

• hf101 changed the title to Neuvirth on LTIR
16 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Sounds like a high ankle sprain.  Or maybe a torn groin muscle.  Or anything in between.

the anything in between is the knee and for Neuvy's sake, I sure hope it's a high ankle sprain... which isn't the kind of thing you hear about a goalie dealing with much.  

17 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I assume Stolarz comes up now. At least they're not in the stretch, so Hakstol shouldn't run Mason into the ground. See if Stolarz is ready for the NHL.

As much as I feel bad for Neuvy, who hadn't really gotten his season off the ground yet, this is actually a pretty good scenario for the Flyers in their goaltending situation because either:

A) They bring up Stolarz which is good because they were going to have to protect him anyway and I think we're all assuming both Mason and Neuvy won't be back (at best I think Mason gets signed).  

So this is really a decent chance for Stolarz to see some NHL minutes and for the team and the players and staff to really get an idea of where he is.  He's only 22 and frankly Goaltending is the one position I think most benefits from a lot of AHL time, so I don't think he needs to be our normal back up yet, BUT giving him a few games in the NHL will be very important.

ESPECIALLY since, while not as bad as Neuvy, Mason does not have the healthiest history on earth.  

and 

B)  It appears because of their flukish contract situation with their goalies and prospects, the Flyers appear to NEED to sign a goalie at some point between now and the end of the season MERELY to leave him exposed in the Vegas draft.

I had assumed they'd just extend Mason and leave him exposed, but what if they made a trade now for a low end cheap backup that they can send down eventually or just leave exposed?

Obviously they're up against the cap pretty tightly, and they'd have to include some actual salary in the deal (Gordon? VandeVelde?)  or maybe Laughton buys you something better?

15 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Well, looks like we will see Mr. Stolarz. Neuvy out for 4-6 weeks. Why do I think his days in Philly are numbered? 

I think they always were.  His best chance for staying here now is if mason gets extended now, then drafted by Vegas and Stolarz wins the starting job.  

If the above scenario happens I could see Hexy resigning Neuvy for another short term and giving Stolarz and Lyon the chance to really get themselves established before going after a Bishop type Free agent.

21 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I think they always were.  His best chance for staying here now is if mason gets extended now, then drafted by Vegas and Stolarz wins the starting job.  

If the above scenario happens I could see Hexy resigning Neuvy for another short term and giving Stolarz and Lyon the chance to really get themselves established before going after a Bishop type Free agent.

I think Mason would need to have a stellar rest of the season to garner real interest from Vegas, but you never know.

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I think Mason would need to have a stellar rest of the season to garner real interest from Vegas, but you never know.

Are there two goalies in the league that will be exposed that they'd want more?  

I genuinely don't know.  I'd assume Mason is safe, but if I'm vegas, I could see him being a decent option for a 1B or 2.  

I mean he's been our #1 for several years now.  Presumably Vegas would break the bank on a UFA like Bishop, but even if they could pull it off and convince a Bishop to go the an expansion team in the desert, they can't even attempt to do that until 2 weeks AFTER they choose their draft selections.  A Mason in the expansion draft could just be hedging their bets.  

10 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Are there two goalies in the league that will be exposed that they'd want more?  

I genuinely don't know.  I'd assume Mason is safe, but if I'm vegas, I could see him being a decent option for a 1B or 2.  

I mean he's been our #1 for several years now.  Presumably Vegas would break the bank on a UFA like Bishop, but even if they could pull it off and convince a Bishop to go the an expansion team in the desert, they can't even attempt to do that until 2 weeks AFTER they choose their draft selections.  A Mason in the expansion draft could just be hedging their bets.  

Honestly, it's very hard to say. If the draft were on tomorrow, then there would definitely be better goalies available. The challenge is that some of those currently potential goalies may very well be traded this year.

Some examples:

Detroit has Howard and Mrazek. Tampa has Bishop and Vasilevskis. Pittsburgh has Murray (Fleury has a NTC). The Rangers will have Raanta available. Colorado has Varlamov and Pickard and seems to be leaning towards Pickard. I would put all those guys before Mason.

Some will likely not be on their current teams come draft time, but who knows. I doubt all of them get moved, so there's a good chance at least one of those names will find themselves in a Vegas uniform -- probably two.

Vegas only picks three goalies. I'm willing to bet Subban or some other similarly high prospect will be their third.

Adding to that, I honestly think Vegas would be better off with Read, Raffl, or Bellemare, whichever is left unprotected by PHI. And that's all assuming MDZ doesn't sign until after the draft, leaving someone like Manning exposed.

10 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Honestly, it's very hard to say. If the draft were on tomorrow, then there would definitely be better goalies available. The challenge is that some of those currently potential goalies may very well be traded this year.

Some examples:

Detroit has Howard and Mrazek. Tampa has Bishop and Vasilevskis. Pittsburgh has Murray (Fleury has a NTC). The Rangers will have Raanta available. Colorado has Varlamov and Pickard and seems to be leaning towards Pickard. I would put all those guys before Mason.

Some will likely not be on their current teams come draft time, but who knows. I doubt all of them get moved, so there's a good chance at least one of those names will find themselves in a Vegas uniform -- probably two.

Vegas only picks three goalies. I'm willing to bet Subban or some other similarly high prospect will be their third.

Adding to that, I honestly think Vegas would be better off with Read, Raffl, or Bellemare, whichever is left unprotected by PHI. And that's all assuming MDZ doesn't sign until after the draft, leaving someone like Manning exposed.

Yeah, I'm taking those guys into account.  Pitt and Det are in similar situations.  They have to protect one guy, but would rather protect the other in all likelihood.  The chances of those teams being able to move Fleury and Howard (both with NMC's mind you) by the end of the season seem very very unlikely.    Which begs the question, do the Flyers make a play for one?  seems like a topic for a separate post.

Tampa's situation is easy.  They don't sign Bishop, protect the dude who's name I can't spell without looking it up and see what happens.  No biggie for them.  

I don't know that I'd put Raanta before Mason, but maybe.  Colorado will likely not protect Varlamov, but if I'm Vegas, I'm not sure I'm taking him over Mason.  His salary is higher and his numbers aren't really any better (maybe he's been more durable or more consistent in games played?).  Actually a Varlamov/ Mason tandem probably is a decent situation for a team.

Again, this is all moot until Mason gets an extension anyway.  

Archived