Eastern Conference Semi Finals: #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins

pilldoc

Eastern Conference Semi Finals: #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Capitals sweep 4-0
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Penguins sweep 4=0
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I just can't listen to him. It's not a Pens thing...it's a Doc Emerick thing. It's like he's calling a hockey game using chemistry terms if that makes sense. Never liked him the first time I ever heard him.

Here here....I hated him ever since he took over for Gene Hart on TV as the Flyers announcer.  He was definitely biased against the Flyers when he was the Devils announcer, even as he came to national prominence (which I never understood).  Nowadays as his annoying shtick is established he uses it over and over and it is sooooo annoying.  I still would love to know what a turning stick is and why there is a "cage" on the ice.  Furthermore I seriously don't care what tiny university player X went to and that they were a 2 time beer pong champ in addition to being the leading scorer on the school squad.  Shut up and call the game Dork!    

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Probably only the ones that don't know hockey very well.   But I must say, I would love to know how many players of his career that Ovie had a hand in putting out of a lineup.   Now don't get me wrong, I said earlier, this seemed to be a series of unfortunate events.  But having a hand in injuring players in accidents seems to follow Ovie around. 

I am the president of the Crosby haters club but I have to side with you guys on this one.  Ovary is a disgusting dirtbag and these things are no accident.  I believe that he hits to injure.  The Caps are under pressure to win after their myriad of failures in the playoffs and i wouldn't put it past them to intend to injure the other team's best player.  This doesn't mean I am rooting for the Pens (or the Caps for that matter) but I side with you guys on this particular issue. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

The fact that Sid now has a concussion really sucks for the game. 

But, you know, I read this article, other than agreeing with his take on Ovechkin, that guy Campbell can **** off.

So the Caps had a meeting; let's all make suppositions what was said in the meeting, because, this one time, this similar thing happened. 

Niskanen's stick wasn't "up". Crosby was in the process of falling from the aforementioned slash.

Plus, Niskanen was "punished" in the form of a 5-minute major penalty and game misconduct. 

The article reads like Crosby got gang raped and 20000 people did nothing. 

Campbell infers a lot of unknown intent around this play. 

The game allows for contact. 

Sid is a powerful skater and most times he skates through those slashes, had his skates not gotten "tangled" with Ovechkin's who knows, he's probably available to play tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

The fact that Sid now has a concussion really sucks for the game. 

But, you know, I read this article, other than agreeing with his take on Ovechkin, that guy Campbell can **** off.

So the Caps had a meeting; let's all make suppositions what was said in the meeting, because, this one time, this similar thing happened. 

Niskanen's stick wasn't "up". Crosby was in the process of falling from the aforementioned slash.

Plus, Niskanen was "punished" in the form of a 5-minute major penalty and game misconduct. 

The article reads like Crosby got gang raped and 20000 people did nothing. 

Campbell infers a lot of unknown intent around this play. 

The game allows for contact. 

Sid is a powerful skater and most times he skates through those slashes, had his skates not gotten "tangled" with Ovechkin's who knows, he's probably available to play tomorrow. 

I agree with you.  To me it sounded like a Pittsburgh reporter(actually, like Rob Rossi, should have seen his article today) who goes postal.  I was surprised it came from The Hockey News was why I mentioned it.  Most "National" people seem to be of the "Hey its hockey and sometimes bad things happen" camp.

But I do agree with a few things he says, particularly the portions where he calls out the NHL in regards to letting all the stick stuff go in the game, and they we wonder why bad things happen. 

6 hours ago, B21 said:

For sure. So many ways to go on this one, too. Niskanen isn't labeled that "type" of player but he and Crosby have a "history" (if you want to call that "fight" a "history"). The Caps did (coincidentally) dress 7 defensemen. Hmmm. That's one for the conspiracy theorists. Plus, it is Crosby with his concussion history and it is the Caps down 2-0 on the road in a situation about as desperate as desperate can be. I don't think the Caps are above pulling something like this to avoid what would (and still could) end up being a pretty hellish offseason. 

Since I hate the Craps, I'm more than willing to buy into this.

6 hours ago, Samifan said:

I absolutely agree it was an exciting final three minutes and they announce crew had reason to be excited, I will not dispute that. My point is that the three amigos from NBC are definitely pro-pens and make no effort to hide it. Just listen to the way Doc calls any pens game, he seems to have more "umph" when the Pens score. 

Just my two cents....

Emerick when the Pens score:

Strangely, that's pretty much his voice, too.

6 hours ago, B21 said:

This.  Not to go off topic but I don't get the Doc hate. Never have. Never will. Doc gets excited over anything that might be a goal. I love listening to him call games. Love the corny catch phrases. Christ,  Mel Allen and Red Barber became legendary for that kind of creativity.

Nothing beats Doc calling a long slapper from the top of the circle: "Kessell with a DRIIIVVVVEEEEE!!!!!..." whether it's a goal or not.

No offense, but these have to be tame to someone having to listen to Steigy on a regular basis.

For the rest of us, it sounds like an elephant sodomizing a cocker spaniel.

2 hours ago, nossagog said:

But having a hand in injuring players in accidents seems to follow Ovie and Malkin around. 

Just saying is all.

I wonder if it's a Russian conspiracy.   I blame Mike Flynn.

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

No offense, but these have to be tame to someone having to listen to Steigy on a regular basis.

For the rest of us, it sounds like an elephant sodomizing a cocker spaniel.

It's not like we LIKE doc calling games as Pens fans, but ANYTHING is better than steigy. 

5 minutes ago, nossagog said:

It's not like we LIKE doc calling games as Pens fans, but ANYTHING is better than steigy. 

Having a high pitched, nasally anthem singer in your ear while you suffer an aneurysm as you have your toenails pulled out is better than listening to "Steigy"........... :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Having a high pitched, nasally anthem singer in your ear while you suffer an aneurysm as you have your toenails pulled out is better than listening to "Steigy"........... :ph34r:

Something like this?

Still better than listening to Steigy

26 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Something like this?

Dear God,  Roseanne was an awful pick to sing the U.S. anthem. Steiger's bad, but not THAT bad.

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It's funny there isn't more comment on what Ovechkin did

That's my take too.  

Crosby looked as if he was hurt before the contact with Niskanen.   

Dunno about intent.  

I just know that I hate to see anybody hurt.  

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wow, I have to bow to the smarm. That was so well done! 

Just now, nossagog said:

Something like this?

Here I thought this was the signal that the Caps' season was over.

Too bad about Sid. :(

These play-offs hold no interest for me at all now. Losing a player like Sid is a disaster for the Pens and the NHL. (No, I don't think it was a conspiracy).

The David Steckel types even being in the NHL in the first place is the problem. So many teams such that the difference in the level of talent between the top and the bottom players in the league is HUGE.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm looking forward to the upcoming World Hockey Championships. :ahappy:

5 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

Losing a player like Sid is a disaster for the Pens and the NHL. (No, I don't think it was a conspiracy).

But it likely was a part of the Caps' game plan to take away his time and space.  Maybe it wasn't as obvious or deliberate as the Stevens hit on Lindros, but the result is still the same.  It's bad for the NHL  and it is bad for the game.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

But it likely was a part of the Caps' game plan to take away his time and space.  Maybe it wasn't as obvious or deliberate as the Stevens hit on Lindros, but the result is still the same.  It's bad for the NHL  and it is bad for the game.

What's bad for the game? Having a team decide that they should take away time and space from the other team's superstar?

Isn't that exactly what they should do?

I'm curious what people who are upset with the hit want Niskanen to do in that situation?

It's not an egregious hit like Stevens' was on Lindros. And even Ovechkin's stick is nothing at all like, for example, smacking a guy in the groin with your stick*.

Most of the velocity from the impact comes from Crosby skating into Niskanen.

It sucks that players get hurt - but the fact of the game (and, in fact, every game) is that people can get hurt.

* Crosby doesn't "deserve" a concussion for trying to emasculate "hit the stick of" O'Reilly, but he isn't exactly occupying a whole lot of high ground in this discussion.

Archived