Dan Girardi

jkgrossman

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I say no, I think he's done.

4 years ago, certainly...his game really fell off the last 1.5 years imo.

We have two or three rookie defensemen who may be starting for the Flyers this year.  We may need a veteran who has experience and who can help them adjust to the NHL.  Hence, Girardi...

23 minutes ago, jkgrossman said:

We have two or three rookie defensemen who may be starting for the Flyers this year.  We may need a veteran who has experience and who can help them adjust to the NHL.  Hence, Girardi...

I understand the concept but have a couple large reservations.

That's one more guy plugging up the roster, blocking a guy who has his career in front of him. 

There are two and a half veteran guys on the roster now, (counting Manning- sometimes he's delivering popcorn so hence. the .5) Gudas and MacDonald are both pros who can be helpful.  Would I rather have DG helping the youngsters as opposed to MacDud ? I don't know, perhaps he's an upgrade.  He wouldn't be role modeling giving up the blue line to every puck carrier regardless of the situation, so that would be good. but...

Andrew MacDonald, his high cap number and middling play are here already. I just don't see the value of signing a guy whose performance I think is on a severe downslope so he can "mentor".  The ideal guy for the role IMO has already been traded... Niklas Hjarlmalsson. 

1 hour ago, jkgrossman said:

So, DG will be a UFA come Saturday.  Should the Flyers try to sign him?  We do need depth at defense.

No...

dog cheezburger wants cones handstands GIF

Mcdud is one pylon to many as it is.......

Girardi is no "pylon" but he's not the same player he once was. I can't understand most of the moves by Gorton and the Rangers so far but buying out Girardi made sense. At $2mil for 1 year he'd be great for the Flyers but he'll want >twice that and some fool GM will prob give it to him.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I understand the concept but have a couple large reservations.

That's one more guy plugging up the roster, blocking a guy who has his career in front of him. 

There are two and a half veteran guys on the roster now, (counting Manning- sometimes he's delivering popcorn so hence. the .5) Gudas and MacDonald are both pros who can be helpful.  Would I rather have DG helping the youngsters as opposed to MacDud ? I don't know, perhaps he's an upgrade.  He wouldn't be role modeling giving up the blue line to every puck carrier regardless of the situation, so that would be good. but...

Andrew MacDonald, his high cap number and middling play are here already. I just don't see the value of signing a guy whose performance I think is on a severe downslope so he can "mentor".  The ideal guy for the role IMO has already been traded... Niklas Hjarlmalsson. 

I agree with you on Hjalmarsson.  I'd much sooner have send Schenn to the Blackhawks for him than for the 2 first rounders.  But the only down side to him is that he's got more than 2 or three years left in the tank and a trade like that would be a commitment.  

I'd still contemplate UFA Oduya though -depending on how he's been looking.  If he's Nick Schultz slow and old for 35 then we gotta pass.  But if he's got anything left in the tank, I'd give it a go for him.  AND bench mac. :)

21 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I agree with you on Hjalmarsson.  I'd much sooner have send Schenn to the Blackhawks for him than for the 2 first rounders.  But the only down side to him is that he's got more than 2 or three years left in the tank and a trade like that would be a commitment.  

Hjalmarsson was a bit of a cap dump. You'd have never gotten him for Schenn, who costs more. They got an established defenseman, so if you wanted a comparable deal you're looking at Gudas.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Hjalmarsson was a bit of a cap dump. You'd have never gotten him for Schenn, who costs more. They got an established defenseman, so if you wanted a comparable deal you're looking at Gudas.

Id have Been fine with that.  I didn't really think that could be a trade.  I was just talking to their needs. 

8 hours ago, jkgrossman said:

So, DG will be a UFA come Saturday.  Should the Flyers try to sign him?  We do need depth at defense.

Not in a million years for me. Zero interest. 

And I don't trade for any vet D and I doubt Hextall does. He's not resigning Schultz or MDZ to make room. Why clog up the works? 

Goalie will be his priority and possibly a winger. I'd be stunned to see a D. 

Signing Girardi sounds like a Homer deal....hey Ed, look at the shiny new toy I got today!!   Vinny was at about the same point in his career as Girardi....thank GOD that fool is not making the calls. Hexy will stay patient with the defense. Buying a vet closer to retirement than his prime is just not good business. Somebody will give Dan a deal, hell, maybe even a two year deal....but it will not be Hexy, he's too smart for that. 

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

And I don't trade for any vet D and I doubt Hextall does. He's not resigning Schultz or MDZ to make room. Why clog up the works? 

Goalie will be his priority and possibly a winger. I'd be stunned to see a D. 

I feel like every second day I see a new thread about acquiring some unwanted, past-his-prime dman to somehow guide the young kids. It's not gonna happen folks. Not only that, I really don't think it would work the way some people seem to believe.

Experience and leadership are not the same thing at all. That's as true in any work environment as it is in the NHL. I'm sure we all know of people with a bunch of experience in our workplaces who really are not leaders in any sense. They're different skills entirely. Not only that, they're too easily confounded in many cases. Teams have coaches to fill the leadership role. If your team happens to have a handful of good leaders beyond that, that's gravy.

Does Girardi have leadership qualities? Maybe. I really don't know. I'm not really sure I want to sign him on some sort of experiment to find out though. More important, it's really not an essential thing to have imo. It's far more important to me for our young kids to have solid coaching than some elder statesman clogging up the works for little actual gain. We have tons of defensive talent coming up, and they will need a spot sooner rather than later.

Girardi isn't as good as any of the other dmen we have, and isn't worth the roster spot or salary cap space he will take up. We don't need a player who is just about done. If we needed an older defenseman, we should have kept Streit. I'll pass.

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I like Griardi - as in the Girardi of a handful of years ago.  He is not worth the cap spend and is not really all that good anymore.   Besides we have that stalwart veteran in McDud!  :dizzysmiley-1:

I think he's more like a stale wart. :dizzysmiley-1::VeryCool:

4 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I like Griardi - as in the Girardi of a handful of years ago.  He is not worth the cap spend and is not really all that good anymore.   Besides we have that stalwart veteran in McDud!  :dizzysmiley-1:

I can only hope that Mac has a bounce back year.

I actually ran into Dan Girardi on his way to work one day, I was in NYC for business, took the train to Penn Station and was looking for which exit to take to 7th Avenue to meet my next ride when I bumped shoulders with what felt like a piece of cement. I looked over and there was Dan holding a garment bag over his should, we both said sorry and continued to go about our business. I thought damn that dude looks familiar, and watched as he entered a non-descript door manned by a security guard.  On my way to White Plains I looked up the Rangers roster and sure enough, I had run into Dan Girardi, literally.   I had a similar experience with Kenny Logins where I actually hurt him... good times.:dizzysmiley-1:

Archived