Claude GirBooo!

Poulin20

1 minute ago, Pucked in the head said:

Clarke would have came out and taken the game over..... Not why are they booing me ??? He sounds like that bitch Cindy when she doesn't get a call.....

Damned right, and scored a big goal, and swatted an important opposition player with his stick. Amen.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

Clarke would have came out and taken the game over..... Not why are they booing me ??? He sounds like that bitch Cindy when she doesn't get a call.....

I get what he was trying to say, but it did sound a lot like "b...b..but, the mean fans took my Planet of the Apes lunchbox!"

@radoran @ruxpin @RJ8812 @elmatus @OH1FlyersFan

I would also like to add, I have zero context for how this quote came to be.

I haven't seen a full article or interview.  If Claude brought it up, I have a problem with it.

If he didn't and is answering a question I have way more tolerance.

The days of shut up and dribble are in the past. 

I know everyone lives in the shadow of REC, however, he wasn't exactly super politically astute with the Lindroses.

We live in a much more interconnected time, guys have instagram, snap chat, etcetera.  The old tropes of shut up and take it aren't taught anymore. Authenticity is valued, this is a thing everyone in our society struggles with including our athletes.

35 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Well, pick one.   Either it's not true in either case or it's true in both.   It cannot be one or the other. 

I agree with what you said and I also agree with it being both. With that being said, if they deserved to be bood than they deserved to be bood.

If they are playing like they don't give a damn and are getting blown away than the the fans have the high dollar paying right to do so. If they are playing great than it is the vice versa.

Now sometimes I agree excessive anything is always bad, maybe sometimes instead of booing they should chant Lets go Flyers to try and pick the team up. So I agree the fans are wrong in some situations and they are right in others.

Like yelling shoot on the power play I am sure it can get annoying for the players but when they do not have a shot on goal the entire power play well than I think the chants for them to shoot are justified. I mean fck just put one on net and let the guys up front try and get a garbage goal at least.

2 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

I agree with what you said and I also agree with it being both. With that being said, if they deserved to be bood than they deserved to be bood.

Yes.

3 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

So I agree the fans are wrong in some situations and they are right in others.

I suppose, but I don't know.  I don't care if people do.  I'm not trying to say they shouldn't or they don't have the right or any of that.  And if they're playing really poorly, it's tough to get a crowd to "pep" rather than respond with deserved disapproval.

I think yes, it's both.  I do think a raucous crowd in support can drive a team forward.  That's why you play for home ice, home field, home court, whatever.   Whether than raucous crowd support or booing, it really originates with the team, right?   I mean, even in a 5-0 loss, the WFC started out with cheering...until cheering was no longer an honest response.

The Sixers are doing well right now.  You can see them feed off the crowd, but you can see them spurring the crowd on, too.  It's a give and take between team and crowd.    Both ways, as you said.

If they're doing poorly or even not up to expectation, by all means boo.  As @FD19372 said, you paid a lot of money to be there.  If you feel like they're not even attempting to deliver product, go ahead and express disapproval.   You'd tell the server the food isn't right.  Tell the team.  That's all you can do.

I think it's the "you can't let it bother you!" that I was responding to.   Because if they're not supposed to notice, why bother with the effort of booing?   And if they're quick in acknowledging how cheering helped them win, I think it's just a little funny that we think booing doesn't affect the other way.

I was just going to mention the lack of support with the let's go Flyers chant , even when the organist tries to get the place going... The fans in Philly are very quick to boo... And their support is marginal,we have imo the quietest arena in the league... Except for when it comes to booing of course.... They are fair weather fans the weather is good their happy,the weather SUCKS we get pissed... But they shouldn't be so extreme imo you made some good points .... I think that they expect them to win every game and when they don't they turn on them instead of trying to rally them....

I think he is still pissed that hacktard took apart the most productive line right before the playoffs, and then didn't have the phuckin sense to put them back together when he should have but he can't blame the coach either so it's the cheapest safest option for him to blame the boo's when really he should have the whole team look in the phuckin mirror.....

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Wanna stop the booing?  Score a second damned goal in your playoff career .

Giroux has 24 goals in his playoff career. He has 1 in the last three years and 3 in 19 games as a captain.

:VeryCool:

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

Giroux has 24 goals in his playoff career. He has 1 in the last three years and 3 in 19 games as a captain.

:VeryCool:

I knew you were going to correct this.  :VeryCool:

But you me had to wait to log into the smart screen name.

I'm giving Giroux a pass on what he said. Fact is, he carried this club on his back to a playoff spot. Between the revolving door of goaltenders, half a defense core that has no business playing in the NHL, watching Haktard remove his right winger from his line and replacing him with someone who has no business on the top line and then watching four of the bottom six suck the life out of games, I'm surprised Giroux didn't go on a mass verbal shooting spree. We're also looking at a guy who will now begin the downward descent of his career and I think this might have been done to get Hextall to go out there and get the pieces required to make this club not just a playoff contender, but a Cup contender as well. It's time to ramp up the trajectory now.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@radoran @ruxpin @RJ8812 @elmatus @OH1FlyersFan

I would also like to add, I have zero context for how this quote came to be.

I haven't seen a full article or interview.  If Claude brought it up, I have a problem with it.

If he didn't and is answering a question I have way more tolerance.

The days of shut up and dribble are in the past

I know everyone lives in the shadow of REC, however, he 't exactly super politically astute with the Lindroses.

We live in a much more interconnected time, guys have instagram, snap chat, etcetera.  The old tropes of shut up and take it aren't taught anymore. Authenticity is valued, this is a thing everyone in our society struggles with including our athletes.

He is answering a question. And there is some "issue" with the context that was apparently cited by Myrtetus on the Fanatic today (I didn't hear show, heard vague references thereafter).

The question: “Was this crowd tough on you? Not just you, but the whole team. You guys are trying too hard to please them? Is that part of the equation?”

The answer:

“Yeah. I think. … I do think so. I think when it’s not going very well, fans, they can get a little … start booing us and stuff. That’s when we try to do too much. On the road, we don’t really get that. We have our game plan at the start of the game, and we carry on for 60 minutes.

“I think sometimes — I’m not saying every game — but some games, at home, it wasn’t going our way. And sometimes it can happen like that. You can have a bad start. You can be down, 1- or 2-0. You [ideally would] keep going the same way you planned on playing the game. That wasn’t the case. We kind of changed our game. We tried to do a little too much. Trying to do somebody else’s job instead of going out there and playing the game.”

And, yes, Marcus Hayes is a terrible writer with delusions of grandeur, a bone to pick with Flyer fans, and is definitely playing this up for clicks.

That said, there is a point to what Giroux is saying.

My point is that the fans were behind them to start every home game. Loud, very loud. NBC Announcers acknowledging it loud. And the end of Game 6 their ire was primarily directed at the officiating with the non calls on Giroux (early) and Couturier and the mishandling* of dust up with Konecny.

And rux's point is well taken that they cheered until they had basically had it beaten out of them by the play on the ice. The Flyers rode the fans' emotion early and took play to the Pens in both games, but got nothing out of it and then the Pens broke them open in the second period and, quite frankly, the team played beat. Once folks who came to cheer left after the second intermission, the only ones left are the ones who are staying to boo.

Again the cure is not to get your ass whupped playing uninspired hockey.

The fans wanted to keep the "City of Champions" theme going. And I think the team did, too. The fanbase that has been selling out your games and paying for the cable packages that allow you to make the $8.25M you do. I totally agree with the "shut up and dribble" being dead in this day and age but "shut up and dribble" was a coach thing; the 1980s Mike Keenan thing isn't going to work these days. The other side of "the game has changed" is that hockey players make exponentially more money these days and it's funded exclusively by the willingness of the fanbase to pay higher and higher prices. Couple that with an organization that continually uses "competing for the Stanley Cup" as a reasonable expectation for the fanbase (through the "anything can happen" philosophy) and some of your paying customers just might get a bit unrly.

So that could be adding to the pressure from the fanbase. And when you're a 100-point MVP Candidate on a team that squeaked into the playoffs, you've had virtually no postseason success in five years as a captain, your organization hasn't won a Cup in 43 years, and you're staring at the high side of 30, you should feel that pressure.

But** isn't it the Captain's job to be the steady presence that doesn't panic and doesn't get taken out of his game? Yes, he's "still new at this" so when does he actually learn? When doesn't his team lose it's composure?

This isn't "Giroux is suk" - this is just his record. I wish it wasn't true, too.

Unfortunately, it is, and he's the only one who can change it.

Wait 'til next year.

* dereliction of duty

** there is always a but

Giroux responded to a crafted question, and he responded honestly and factually.

The crowd can sometimes take it too far. NOT ALL THE TIME....just some of the time...

Almost like a loaded question, where either way you respond your gonna get someone trigger happy.

I'm not upset at his response. And I don't disagree with the boos at home for paying people who spend large bills to pay to see their team.

But when you continually verbally beat up someone, you can be the fault of the result of what happens.

If someone is on the ledge and wants to jump and everyone is saying No! and someone goes up to the top while the special agent is trying to talk them into stepping away from ledge and you go to them and say, "Booo, your life sucks" they can hold you accountable if they jump.

Extreme case in point, fans can help/hurt their team, in a non/cognitive manner.

Noise can cause confusion, at some point words repeated over and over again with outside stimulation at some point can blind, disrupt, confuse, bewilder somebody into doing things in adverse ways.

Long time ago I was on the opposite end of the schoolyard fence, a stray little "Benji" type dog came across the side walk, the stray was a little timid but playful.

At that hour of the day it was very busy with allot of cars passing buy and the bell rang and another set of classroom children ran out the door when the bell rang. They saw the little dog and a few ran to the fence to see it up close. The stray little dog became frightened and started to leave but gathered it's wits and came back to the fence, I told the classmates that you scared the dog away. All of a sudden 20 other kids came rushing the fence and I was yelling to stop yelling and hitting the fence. The little dog ran and ran back and forth not knowing what to do. I started to motion to the traffic to stop, but to no avail it was too late, the little dog ran to the street in fright. By then it was too late, I yelled at the little kids look what you caused.

Voices are noise and a tool that can be used for you or against you.

Voices can cause someone to improve, retreat or cause confusion or restraint.

The brains signals are given direction to respond or react to an individual and can be manipulated to perform tasks.

Same thing as the scent can cause a reaction/emotion.

This years Flyers had a tender underbelly in the playoffs. The scales will be hardened by next term in the playoffs...growing steps, little steps, big steps, solid footing. (noticed how the Flyers saw that the pens didn't panic down 4-2, that's because they understand solid footing and how to get back to it.)

@radoran

good post,  I find myself defending 28 on here frequently. In spite of that, I know he has areas where he falls short of perfect.

There is a portion of the fanbase that no matter what, wants to complain about something.  

I find the jealousy regarding salary to be a wasteful use of emotion, but again it is emotion so...

If someone is willing to pay a guy that much $ it doesn't change the fact that it's still "a guy". 

Nice point about click bait and Marcus' motives, it does seem the only time he writes about hockey is to poke the hornet's nest.

I've never played sports at that level, but I played into college and in some pretty hostile environments.   Most times our teams fed off the hostility, In high school our problem was when no one was in the gym. I've been on teams that stunk up the joint too.  Fortunately for me, our parents never turned on us until after the game was over.  In Phi, the fans turn on the players minute to minute, it's f'd up.

@elmatus

I meant no disrespect, my experience with non-Americans is they are more willing to speak about uncomfortable subjects.

Religion, Politics, Sex are all "in play" . Whereas with Americans there are things you don't talk about and the British tradition of the stiff upper lip still permeates our interactions, so we dance around uncomfortable discussion subjects, my european colleagues are just "out with it".

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I find the jealousy regarding salary to be a wasteful use of emotion, but again it is emotion so...

Not that you were saying but, I'm certainly not jealous of salary. Undoubtedly there are people who are. 

In a capped world, salary is just another number to be factored in. When I talk about a $16.5M void in production it's because successful franchises get more from those players.

We need more from Giroux. It's not a question, it's a fact.

And he needs more from him, too.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

In Phi, the fans turn on the players minute to minute, it's f'd up.

I had a ticket package last year. Guy in the next section would scream at MacDonald every time he was on the ice.

"You're terrible MacDonald. I know you can hear me MacDonald."

It was amusing to a point. And then terribly tiresome.

There's no question there are "bad fans" - although I'm not ponying up a criteria.

I WANT the Flyers to win. My fiancee and I wore our Ed Snider memorial shirts for Game 6. We were totally into Game 7 until they fell apart at the end of the 2nd.

I introduced my fiancee to the concept of "crushing goals" in the first and last minutes of a period.

And then the 3rd started with another lesson.

Philadelphia loves redemption stories and Giroux could be a Philadelphia legend.

Or another failure.

It's all on him.

10 hours ago, radoran said:

The question: “Was this crowd tough on you? Not just you, but the whole team. You guys are trying too hard to please them? Is that part of the equation?”

The answer:

“Yeah. I think. … I do think so. I think when it’s not going very well, fans, they can get a little … start booing us and stuff. That’s when we try to do too much. On the road, we don’t really get that. We have our game plan at the start of the game, and we carry on for 60 minutes.

“I think sometimes — I’m not saying every game — but some games, at home, it wasn’t going our way. And sometimes it can happen like that. You can have a bad start. You can be down, 1- or 2-0. You [ideally would] keep going the same way you planned on playing the game. That wasn’t the case. We kind of changed our game. We tried to do a little too much. Trying to do somebody else’s job instead of going out there and playing the game.”

I really don’t think there’s much to be outraged at this quote and I bet much more is being made of this than what Giroux actually means in his response.  

Nowhere does he say the booing hurts them in the sense that it is upsetting or unsettling for them.  He doesn’t say anything about wishing fans would stop.  What he’s saying is the exact opposite: “We hear the boos and we try to respond by pleasing the fans.”  He takes no issue with the booing. In fact, he says the opposite: the team reacts in a way that it feels the fans want them to.  Isn’t that what fans want to accomplish by booing?  The problem, according to Giroux, is the team’s reaction to the booing and then trying to please too much.  Not the fact that the booing is happening or that it hurts their feelings.  Nowhere does he say the booing is demoralizing.  Actually, it has the opposite effect: they try to please the fans, but, in doing so, they get away from playing their game and it hurts them.  Maybe guys go for a big hit, or try to make a play that isn’t there.  That’s the way I read his answer, which I think is responsive to the last two questions not the first two.  I don’t read it as criticism of the fans, but rather of the team’s lack of discipline.  

What am am I missing?

1 hour ago, vis said:

I really don’t think there’s much to be outraged at this quote and I bet much more is being made of this than what Giroux actually means in his response.  

Nowhere does he say the booing hurts them in the sense that it is upsetting or unsettling for them.  He doesn’t say anything about wishing fans would stop.  What he’s saying is the exact opposite: “We hear the boos and we try to respond by pleasing the fans.”  He takes no issue with the booing. In fact, he says the opposite: the team reacts in a way that it feels the fans want them to.  Isn’t that what fans want to accomplish by booing?  The problem, according to Giroux, is the team’s reaction to the booing and then trying to please too much.  Not the fact that the booing is happening or that it hurts their feelings.  Nowhere does he say the booing is demoralizing.  Actually, it has the opposite effect: they try to please the fans, but, in doing so, they get away from playing their game and it hurts them.  Maybe guys go for a big hit, or try to make a play that isn’t there.  That’s the way I read his answer, which I think is responsive to the last two questions not the first two.  I don’t read it as criticism of the fans, but rather of the team’s lack of discipline.  

What am am I missing?

Nothing,  because you chose to read the whole quote and think about its context.  I think you make a great point. 

Especially when you mentioned a lack of discipline.  There are young guys on the team, regardless of what is said to them in the locker room or on the bench 17k people getting on their asses will affect them.  

Nice post 

At the end of the day if Ron does his job and helps fix some of this teams weaknesses then none of this matters. Winning solves everything.

It's all i want to do. Win a Stanley Cup in my life time.

My Eagles have finally won a Super Bowl and it makes everything so better....a Cup is ALL that is missing.

I can't wait. It's coming....i can feel it. It is moving in the right direction....it as always is just taking longer than we like.

Just win G just win!!!!!!

Archived